• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

The Box Pot from Firebox Stove

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Firebox Stove has the prototype of a "box pot", which is demonstrated in this video:

Not being much of a camp cooker, I don't really have any opinion about whether this concept has benefits over a round pot, but maybe some of you do. I do have the Firebox Nano stove, which can heat with twigs or an inserted alcohol stove. Most of the Firebox products seem well thought out and many of their videos are quite interesting.

Interesting, I’m interested in what he made his pizza stone from. Did he cut up a commercial stone? Inquiring minds want to know.
Jim

That is the most disgusting way to cook bacon and eggs that I have ever encountered. I'll stick to a frying pan.
I really, really wish I'd not watched that vid before breakfast!!! I think my arteries just went on strike...:oops:
Back in the 80's Coleman/ Peak One came out with a square pot with lid that doubled as a case for their 505/ 400 series stoves, the lid actually made a tolerable frypan and the square shape accommodated the simmer and fuel valves nicely and still had room for a gripper while being a perfect fit in a WWII military #2 lantern bag.
I still have and use one to this day...

That is the most disgusting way to cook bacon and eggs that I have ever encountered. I'll stick to a frying pan.
Haha, reminds me of my grandson when he was young. He couldn't stand having his food selections touch each other. Food items had to stay well apart on his plate. He had an absolute phobia about it. Egg couldn't touch the bacon couldn't touch the toast.
But I agree this mess tin meal looks desperate. I'd give it a 0 out of 5. The square lid doesn't look like a fry pan to me.
Unless of course you're into this. I love it and many of its variations.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about getting a twig stove, firebox was one of the stoves I looked at. I did enjoy his videos but, seemed like he spent a lot of time making dinner and puttering with the additional/optional attachments. I’m not a former chef so a bunch of that stuff would be wasted on my meager cooking skills.
Wishing I could still get coffee cans from my former place of employment (only come in plastic these days) a can opener, church key and a Swiss Army knife and I could make my own twig stove. It won’t wouldn’t be able to fold into a flat package.
I do have a gift card for a store that I seldom frequent, they do have a twig stove with a German sounding name (Uber-something) doesn’t have any optional equipment, so I might give that a try. It even will hold a Trangia alcohol stove which I do like for brew-up’s when not using a small Ghillie MKettle.

Absolutely uninterested in the box pot, but very interested in the titanium moka pot they sell. I'll try as many ways of making camp coffee as I can find. Seems to be manufactured by TOAKS, who I like, but I can't find it outside of the firebox website.

I didn't think that method of cooking sausage, bacon, and eggs looked too bad at all except personally I would have broken the yokes and fully cooked the egg.....and left the meat out. :)

I jumped through the video rather than watching the whole thing so maybe I missed it but I'm a little unsure of the benefits of a square pot. I've never had a problem pouring from a round pot and a square pot seems like it would be a lot harder to stir and that things would tend to get trapped in the corners. Stirring without utensils (moving pot in circular motion) doesn't seem like it would work either.

Alan

MyKneesHurt…..
Amazon has it, named Maxi as is the one on Firebox site. $74, makes 5 oz. of coffee.
When my wife goes with me I bring a Bialetti Moka Pot, a battery powered frother wand and half & half. Makes her happy, as the old saying goes, “Happy wife, happy life”.

I'm a little unsure of the benefits of a square pot

I suspect it has to do with fitting the pot on top of and around his collapsible squarish stoves into a small kit. He also mentions the ease of pouring liquids out of the corners.

Ah so!

I’ve been thinking about getting a twig stove, firebox was one of the stoves I looked at. I did enjoy his videos but, seemed like he spent a lot of time making dinner and puttering with the additional/optional attachments. I’m not a former chef so a bunch of that stuff would be wasted on my meager cooking skills.
Wishing I could still get coffee cans from my former place of employment (only come in plastic these days) a can opener, church key and a Swiss Army knife and I could make my own twig stove. It won’t wouldn’t be able to fold into a flat package.
I do have a gift card for a store that I seldom frequent, they do have a twig stove with a German sounding name (Uber-something) doesn’t have any optional equipment, so I might give that a try. It even will hold a Trangia alcohol stove which I do like for brew-up’s when not using a small Ghillie MKettle.

I have a few stick stoves and can say that the firebox is the best I've used. I have a SS G1, SSg2, and two Ti Nanos. A Ti G2 will be my next purchase from them. Phenomenal quality, and pack/unpack instantly. Very easy to get a very hot, small fire rocking in a hurry. We use a G2 as a heater under the tarp in the rain.

People will say "just make a small fire", but it's not as easy or efficient as having it all contained.

20220925_105407.jpg

Back