• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Backcountry Cinnamon Buns (sans reflector oven!)

Reaction score
Here is the recipe for my super tasty, rest day favourite: Cinnamon Biscuits! If it tastes good at home you know it will be especially wonderful after awhile in the bush without fresh food. Plus tips on how to bake without bringing a reflector oven!

Last edited:
OH Yeah !

I've often gotten down on my Knees, begging for Home made Cinnamon rolls ! (No Shame)

Thanks ! I'll hang on to this !

Jim

Last edited:
I don't have a reflector oven, but my old Coleman folding bake oven should take care of a batch of these just fine...thanks for sharing!

I see you like the same little single burner propane stove that I have some to love. They are amazing. I do love my two burner naptha stove but those propane ones are the cats pyjamas for the times you want to cut down the load.

I like your bacon preserving technique...I will definitely try that.

Christy

Hey guys! I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe! Planning to post more soon recipes on the blog soon!

Thanks HL7, I'm trying to cut down the weight of my pack and you show me how to preserve bacon for days and there goes 3 or 4 pounds back in the bag.
I look forward to other ways you're going to make my carries more 'Enjoyable'.

Here is the recipe for my super tasty, rest day favourite: Cinnamon Biscuits! If it tastes good at home you know it will be especially wonderful after awhile in the bush without fresh food. Plus tips on how to bake without bringing a reflector oven!
I did a search for this recipe as I remembered that it looked very good. But, the search did not bring up the recipe, just comments that everyone liked them. Does anyone have the actual recipe to share?

Mark Z.

I'd guess the recipe was in a link that got corrupted by the multiple technical problems we had for years under vBulletin prior to August 2021, or didn't survive the migration process to Xenforo at the end of that month.

My daughter loves to bake, so I use backcountry baking as as an incentive to keep her interested in canoe tripping. Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in the Outback Oven has been as staple so far, but this year we’re stepping it up with recipes from scratch in a reflector oven, or twiggy fires on the Banks Fry-Bake. I think having to eat what you burned is a good life lesson. 20D64CBD-7203-45F6-B8E0-A315B469F940.jpeg

I think having to eat what you burned is a good life lesson.
Regardless of the lesson value, it sometimes makes for interesting memories. I regularly think back to a childhood scout trip where one of my peers stepped in the pancake batter mixing pan. We all berated him for carelessness then picked out as much dirt & debris as we could and made some (mildly gritty, roughage-enhanced) breakfast.

Back