• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Anyone using Astral PFDs?

Reaction score
For canoeing - please tell how you like it, anything you would want to change or be different, and if you would buy it again or something else.
Thanks

It depends on the model. I have an Astral V-Eight that I really like for kayaking, but it has the high back. I’m not crazy about that feature for canoeing, plus my arms get scratched on the V-Eight scratchy pockets as I paddle. The mesh back is really nice, but the trade off for that is the big slab of foam up at my shoulders. So I just ordered an NRS Ninja, because everything I read says it’s great for canoeing, and doesn’t get in the way. The Astral I have is a lot lighter - I think the foam is different.

I don’t have a ton of options in my area, so I did a lot of reading online. I narrowed it down to the Ninja vs the Astral YTV, and decided to go with the Ninja. I was in Minneapolis last weekend, so I was able to try on both PFDs, and decided to keep the Ninja. The YTV was very similar, but had to go on overhead, which was a pain, and the pockets were a lot less useful.

Astral makes a lot of models, though, so if you have access to someplace where you can check them out, I’d recommend that. They are well-made, and based on the one I have, I wouldn’t hesitate to stick with the brand.

It depends on the model. I have an Astral V-Eight that I really like for kayaking, but it has the high back. I’m not crazy about that feature for canoeing, plus my arms get scratched on the V-Eight scratchy pockets as I paddle. The mesh back is really nice, but the trade off for that is the big slab of foam up at my shoulders. So I just ordered an NRS Ninja, because everything I read says it’s great for canoeing, and doesn’t get in the way. The Astral I have is a lot lighter - I think the foam is different.

I don’t have a ton of options in my area, so I did a lot of reading online. I narrowed it down to the Ninja vs the Astral YTV, and decided to go with the Ninja. I was in Minneapolis last weekend, so I was able to try on both PFDs, and decided to keep the Ninja. The YTV was very similar, but had to go on overhead, which was a pain, and the pockets were a lot less useful.

Astral makes a lot of models, though, so if you have access to someplace where you can check them out, I’d recommend that. They are well-made, and based on the one I have, I wouldn’t hesitate to stick with the brand.
Thanks for the detailed info!

Astral makes a great product. I've had several models through the years, even going back to the Lotus Designs days. Right now, I wear the Sturgeon and my son has the Ronny Fisher; both are comfortable for us with excellent fit and finish. My only issue with Astral is that they don't offer high float or rescue pfd's, at least not currently.

A lot will depend on fit, though, so I'd recommend going to a shop that offers different brands and models and trying some on.

I like the sturgeon model that I recently got. It's comfortable and has a secure pocket for my phone and other small stuff. I didn't do any comparison shopping so I don't know how it compares to others. It's also the only pfd that I spent more than 25 bucks on, so that's what I'm comparing it to. One thing I know is, if you like your pfd you will wear it more often, I wear this one 100% of the time on the water.

My wife and I both wear Astral. I have the Sea Wolf, which isn’t made anymore, the green jacket is probably the closest to it. My wife has the Linda, which is real light weight and has good ventilation. The Ceiba is very comfortable and probably my next if not a kokatat. I have no complaints about it, comfy, lots of pockets, great rescue features, sweet tan lines, and works for everything I paddle.

Astral YTV here. I like simple and it is. Took me a while to accustom to a pull over, but now it's second nature.

Astral E Ronny for me. Comfy even on hot days, no friction when paddling, great pockets. Plus it's florescent orange. Would certainly buy again.

I use an Astral Greenjacket. It is a PFD primarily designed for whitewater use but I use it for all canoeing activities now. The articulated front foam panels are much more comfortable and adjustable than PFDs with one single, big slab of foam flotation. It also has a sizable zippered front pocket and smaller side pockets for carrying important items.

Astral V-8 here. I tend to run warm so I got this because of advertised cooling vents. It's been OK. Fairly cool and comfortable to wear and paddle in. Pockets are small and it's also fading quite badly although I've probably had it longer than I think I've had it. I will look for a PFD with larger pockets and possibly a back pocket next time.

Back