• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Any idea what kind of canoe this is?

Reaction score
We have just purchased a home which came with this beautiful canoe, which the previous owner brought from Alaska to GA and restored beautifully. We are soon going through a renovation and while we LOVE this centerpiece for a lake house, this is our primary residence and we need a more suitable fixture (light/fan) for a room that gets full sun a heats up considerably. I would like to post this for sale but I have no idea how to identify what style, type or brand so I can even determine a listing price in my area.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to post it prior to the renovations start but before I attempt to climb a ladder to look for serial numbers or identifying markers I am seeking advice from the experts as to what I am looking for and where to find it.

TIA for any suggestions/feedback you have!

Attachments

• IMG_4909.jpeg
    IMG_4909.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4912.jpeg
    IMG_4912.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4913.jpeg
    IMG_4913.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4911.jpeg
    IMG_4911.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4910.jpeg
    IMG_4910.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 48
Welcome and congratulations, this canoe looks like a modern 'strip built' example. Most of these are home made. It will have a hull identification number (HIN) on the starboard stern if it was built within the last forty years. The link at https://www.usps.org/national/safety/HIN/HIN.pdf can help you interpret the HIN. Please post a picture of the HIN here if you find one. Good luck with the research,

Benson

Welcome and congratulations, this canoe looks like a modern 'strip built' example. Most of these are home made. It will have a hull identification number (HIN) on the starboard stern if it was built within the last forty years. The link at https://www.usps.org/national/safety/HIN/HIN.pdf can help you interpret the HIN. Please post a picture of the HIN here if you find one. Good luck with the research,

Benson
Awesome, thanks so much for your reply. At least now I’ll know where to start looking 🙂

GA_woodencanoe, welcome to site membership!

Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. How to do that, and how to use many other of the site's technical features, are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

As Benson said, most strip built canoe are homemade. Many members here make them and photo-document their builds. The hulls are built of thin strips of wood, usually cedar, glued together and then fiberglassed on the inside and outside. Such canoes are frequently sold on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and the Classifieds sections of websites like this one. Price will depend on condition, size, weight and market demand. Very high prices would only be commanded by a strip canoe built with very rare, expensive and exotic woods.

Some states do not require registering unmotorized canoes, so some homemade canoes may not have had HIN numbers assigned. You might ask the previous owner if the canoe has a HIN if you can't see one on the hull.

Back