• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Any Fly Tiers?

Reaction score
I haven't done much fly fishing since I moved to Northern Ontario a few decades ago. However, back in Nova Scotia, I lived and breathed for fly fishing. My uncle got me started with an old bamboo pole, and when i was able to cut the heads off dandelions in the back yard, my Dad figured I was getting serious. He then introduced me to the mystery of fly tying, and until I left Nova Scotia, I was pretty much a fanatic.

A couple of years ago, I got outfitted again, but have been tying very infrequently. Since I'm supposed to be immobile for a few weeks this spring, I figured I would dig the stuff out and start again. This is my first attempt. I'm trying to duplicate a green stone fly type insect I saw up on Gripp Lake last June. I'm not sure what was boiling at the end of the lake, but as far as I know, it is mostly a walleye Lake. This spring and summer, I'm going to really pay attention to the bugs I see and try to duplicate them.

I'm gonna call this guy the Gripp Lake Greeny. I hope to try him out in August. Anyone out there with more experience than me, please feel free to critique and provide suggestions.

I've been fly fishing and tying since jr high, and what you have re-discovered there is a elk hair caddis! Here in RI I tie them in 3 sizes and 3 colors along with a fly called a Goddard caddis (we have a lot of caddis fly streams), and a third caddis pattern I like to say I invented, but I'm sure if I look back thru enough old books it already has a name!

Looks great, keep tying!

When I'm fishing, I'm fly fishing, but I don't tie my flies, I wish I would, but again that is just an other thing to do that I don't think I have the time for... Maybe one day. Good looking fly Mem!!

Should be able to catch a lot of Perch with that bug and perch taste better than pickerel. Tie up something bigger and go for the monster pike!

Decades ago when I was young and dumb (OK, even more so than now) my Dad introduced me to fly tying and fishing. He and I went out mostly for bass, pickerel and panfish but occasionally we'd hit a trout stream or two. We tied so many flies while he was alive that I pretty much have a life time supply which I still use. This spring I decided to get my casting looked at by someone who knows what to look for. I ended up taking a day long class with our local Trout Unlimited club and had a great time; even joined the chapter. Anyway, now I'm hoping to use my fly rod more than the spinning one throughout this year.

And, for what it's worth, there's nothing like catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself. It's even better when it's something you created along the way.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Gosh, had forgotten about this thread! Life has been running at warp speed this spring. I've only been out in a canoe twice, and fishing once. I hope to remedy all that once my trip at the end of June with the kids is over. I did have a fly casting contest in my backyard at about 1:00 AM around a month ago after too many bud lites. I won, but it wasn't really fair, as my opponent was feeling no pain.

Oh yea, we raised our family in Sheridan WY and later moved to Bozeman MT. I was taught fly fishing very young by dad, uncles and grandparents. Floated all over with a driftboat and waded creeks and fished highcountry lakes.

Haven't wetted a line in in 5 years since buying land in AZ, thats going to change this year though :- )

I've dug out my gear and plan on fishing the local mountain lakes (canoe) and streams where we live in the White Mountains. My son and a fishing friend of his are coming out later this year from WY and we're going to float the San Juan tail water below Navajo Reservoir. I dont own a drift boat anymore, but have a casting deck and thigh brace for my cataraft :- ) Good enough.

Wow, forgot about this thread again! Is that you Paul? I didn't get to try the Gripp Lake Greeny, maybe this summer. Going to make a concentrated effort to use the fly rod this spring, hoping to catch wally's and white fish.

Interesting to note that there is another person from N.S. Now there is at least two. I fish and canoe the Miramichi, Baddeck River, Margaree, North River. I posted a link to my youtube channel on how to tie one of my flies. I am not a great fly tier but I sure do enjoy it.

4wbrEbbIfBQsn47K_lucDAuy040C1MCXphZ-mO2YkASV-d63w2EIGNlHqDTZsKAkX90ZQCzUWCGRTkXJtu9GpHo7PbX7c9VO71eUf5YJqJWUMygl79wDMYKVhm9FCOc8FTfO5R36XW4XgFDVHXc8b4htaUsAcXkk9GOPpGpItilW2P5uBmtCMRKdMC0y_3EvjuizqfCYTFHprXfrLL43Lc5ndmM2QDzViY8cOTQb0jR6PvzylHBOXFZ5MN_BIh9mncPwD1qC8zQLv6s-tgl3puw6NcWOQ1s_bvedOkN2R7mi5nuN0RUIA4WxShGiaqoSyr1qGiINGreyNbLiAzTf7BELUWddj1fJ-9FE9EjANmKFdKNuYDM74zHx62iFG1JychgHJXWKMRIb5-cKjS0FD55qVguFhTqThDWWAr_5GihBR0j_TYGjclikZn3GZnHJrnd6-xgfX8b2h-nUjf7H_ei7-ZiPmi3pbwAccrnZEExO1T4BEnEsK3EYHq4eXC-OX3vo0wLRXaaWt25_52ZT79yNpdphoxs-afCRk5XrwvC4juPKTfhYGv1Xwlb7CwDuJeTPxnPhW9eD6ZYyQKkmtFP-2_bfPZyJBw4Wd8zyKp9Zd01i=w1265-h949-no

The previous post photo was some of the flies I tied when I was laid up from an opperation last winter. Also lots of wooly buggers, comparaduns, cdc flies and elk hair caddis. John M

Interesting flies, CY. We used to tie a lot of those patterns for Lake Trout fishing and land locked salmon that lived in a lake we had a cabin on in New Brunswick. Every March, for a week after the ice went out, we would troll, using sinking fly line and a variety of streamers, often from a paddled canoe. Used to nail them, then they would completely disappear until the next ice out.

I've been fly fishing and tying since jr high, and what you have re-discovered there is a elk hair caddis! Here in RI I tie them in 3 sizes and 3 colors along with a fly called a Goddard caddis (we have a lot of caddis fly streams), and a third caddis pattern I like to say I invented, but I'm sure if I look back thru enough old books it already has a name!

Looks great, keep tying!

I tied and successfully used the Goddard Caddis. I always carry a few of these with me. They are awesome for trout at least in eastern Canada. It seems like the smaller trout will not leave them alone long enough for the < 2 pounders to get a chance to take.

Back