• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Another Upstate NYer

Reaction score
Greetings from another Upstate New Yorker.

Recently getting back to canoeing after a short time about 20 years. Was given an old 15' Sears aluminum canoe (I know, I know, aluminum isn't the favorite for most). I've come here to pick the minds of those with experience and knowledge of the equipment out there as I build myself up. I'm lucky to be close to Oneida Lake, and within a short drive of many areas of the Adirondacks.

See ya around!

Attachments

• photo_2022-09-30 23.28.52.jpeg
    photo_2022-09-30 23.28.52.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to the site. My wife and I had a farm in Sennett (Cayuga County) until we sold it in 2017 and moved to our North Carolina place. Just where are you?

Lance

Welcome. Nothing at all wrong with aluminum IMO. I'd bet that almost everybody here has probably paddled metal boats and anything that gets you on the water is great (ok, well, maybe not a 'yak but... :D)

Welcome to the site. My wife and I had a farm in Sennett (Cayuga County) until we sold it in 2017 and moved to our North Carolina place. Just where are you?

Lance
I'm about a 20 minute walk from the southern shores of Oneida. Lived down near Charlotte for a few years. Going backwards 🤣

Greetings from another Upstate New Yorker.

Recently getting back to canoeing after a short time about 20 years. Was given an old 15' Sears aluminum canoe (I know, I know, aluminum isn't the favorite for most). I've come here to pick the minds of those with experience and knowledge of the equipment out there as I build myself up. I'm lucky to be close to Oneida Lake, and within a short drive of many areas of the Adirondacks.

See ya around!
I still have my original canoe, 17' Grumman new in '72. My sons, both over 50, don't remember it not being around. Occasionally it still gets paddled :giggle:

I still have my original canoe, 17' Grumman new in '72. My sons, both over 50, don't remember it not being around. Occasionally it still gets paddled :giggle:
I still have my original canoe, 17' Grumman new in '73. There were three weight options available at the time, lightweight (the one I bought), standard weight (most common), and camp weight (heavy, intended for rough daily use). I Paddled it on Adirondack camping trips with my wife, two kids and a dog and all gear for a week, it also taught me how to handle a big boat solo on many of my own trips of the day. My lightweight is still in excellent shape, not dents, no dings and practically no scratches. The only blemish is the still visible outline from the now scraped off stupid state of Ohio sticker and numbers I had to put on it when I bought it while I was stationed in the military in OH. Thankfully I have bought several other canoes since, and still have them all.

Asche,

Western NY here as well.

Don't disparage the Grumman! I have the Lightweight that I still use for trips. If I am out for a quick trip (Round Lake, for example - 1 hour paddle) I'll take it. Why risk damage to Kevlar or Royalex if I don't need to? Plus, there is something to be said for being able to just lash the thing down in the backyard and forget about it all year, unlike my other prissy boats that like an indoor perch with 303 chasers.

It's funny - way back in the 70's we marched right past new Royalex (or whatever it was back then) canoes waiting to be rented and jumped in the aluminum boats that had been used for years. And while Tom and Woods hyped these canoes as best for our trip, the Grumman's got us out and back on our weeklong Boundary Waters trips just fine.

Mostly though, I like to put a 30lb trolling motor on and zip all over Hemlock Lake.

Welcome!

Back