• Happy National Shrimp Day! 🦐🍤

Alligator Flips Kayaker in NC

Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen that happen in 50 years paddling in the AmSouth. Gators usually swim away from a canoe or kayak in fear. Maybe the gator was reflexively swimming toward a safe, deep hole that was right in the path of the kayak.

I've told this story before, but a gator sank my 22' outrigger canoe on the Guana River in Florida. I was paddling along and something bumped under my stern hull about six feet behind my seat and I thought I heard a thrashing sound. I thought I might have gone over a log, but I was puzzled because I usually hit logs on the deepest part of that highly rockered hull, which is right under my central seat. I paddled on.

About 15 minutes later, paddling was becoming very difficult as if I were paddling in mud. I then realized that my entire stern hull was filled with water and sinking. No way I could paddle back to the put-in. Fortunately, there was a small (4' x 4') duck blind dock in the middle of the water not too far away. I reached it and tried to dump hundreds of pounds of water out of the stern hull through a small hatch, but I couldn't do it by reaching down from the safety of the small dock. I had to stand in the chest deep water and lift the stern from underneath . . . all the while knowing there were many gators swimming around under the waters!!! Scared, very.

The stern hatch is under the blue ditch bag in this photo:

olgFJ9N.jpg

I finally got most of the water out of the stern hull and tried to patch the damage with duct tape. It was a line of about ten perforations in the hull, which I concluded was caused by the teeth or bumpy body or tail of a gator. However, the duct tape would not stick to the wet hull. Not at all. Useless. And I had no way of drying the hull. I decided to race to the put-in while my stern again slowly filled with water through the perforation holes. I just made it.

Lesson: Test your duct tape on a wet hull to see if it will actually stick. What I did was to buy some epoxy putty, which I've since carried in my day bag.

Lesson: Test your duct tape on a wet hull to see if it will actually stick. What I did was to buy some epoxy putty, which I've since carried in my day bag.

Lesson 2: practice your brace every time your on the water. Assuming that was a fluky thing like Glen mentions maybe you’d never need a brace but if they do get aggressive and intentionally try to roll a boat, that guy is lucky to have been next to a tree branch and have a skirt on.

barry

I have witnessed gators being very aggressive, especially if a nest is established. We've got just a few of them here as well. Most likely that was a female doing what momma gators do.
Below is an excerpt from Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries:

"The breeding season in April and May begins a life cycle that evolved from prehistoric times. A giant male or bull alligator begins bellowing to attract females and warn other suitors to stay away. For two months every year, alligators fight to see who gets to court the female or sow alligators. Alligators can be vicious fighters during breeding season; the winners are sometimes badly scarred and alligators with missing legs, bobtails, or blinded eyes are not uncommon.

In June or July, after mating, the female selects a nesting site, usually near isolated ponds in interior marsh habitats. She builds a nest of marsh vegetation piled in a mound several feet high and 10 feet across. Here, she will lay up to 60 eggs with an average clutch of about 35 eggs. The decaying vegetation creates heat to incubate the eggs that will hatch in about 65-70 days with 8- to 9-inch hatchlings. Interestingly, the temperature of the nest determines the sex of the hatchling. The female remains near the nest during incubation and will defend her nest from predators or intruders with a hissing warning backed up by chomping jaws and thrashing tail."

In that video posted by alsg you can see a green vegetation area right behind where the gator first becomes visible to the camera. That is the sort of area that nests would be established on. Usually the nest is hidden by taller vegetation.
Judging by the timeframe of the incident, I'm betting defense of nest was the reason. Charging with the jaws open is an offensive behavior to intimidate.

If I can remember, the next time I am at our house in the country, I will take a picture to share of an old double blade (no haters please) that got the blade crushed by a medium size momma gator. It's a wall hanger now.

They are sneaky b*st*rds, and can seem to appear out of nowhere.

Bill

Last edited:
Back