• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

A trip that should have never happened..Or?

Unfortunately it happens all the time in Algonquin, I can't count how many times I've seen people flip right at the dock. I've got a few questions though- who was the outfitter? as far as I know, there are no outfitter provided cabins at lake Opeongo (and I've been going there for over 50 years) nearest would be Whitney, and some of the so called outfitters there are pathetic. Also what park manager did they talk to? there's only a clerk at the park office, and the outfitting staff are all employees of the outfitter, not the park.
Sounds to me like these guys 1) did little to no planning other than to just pick a route and go. 2) had little orienteering knowledge, anyone with a little basic info could see that its about a 3-4hr paddle just to Annie bay. and 3) had little to no experience with wilderness canoeing. I mean, come on, losing their lifejackets and sleeping bags then trying to bushwhack out? Why weren't they wearing their lifejackets, why were they trying to paddle with their packs on, Why didn't they have alternate firestarters, and why did they not just stay where they dumped? They most likely would have been found shortly, that's a fairly popular route, and by staying they most likely have been able to recover their gear.
Luckily they stumbled on someone with some experience who could straighten them out, there are too many "weekend warriors" that set out with no plan, no experience, and no preparation, thinking that Algonquin is Disneyland with trees, and sadly the only help they get is from "Mr. Darwin"

I don't even where to start in commenting on this one. Those guys should stay close to home and play golf.

Unfortunately it happens all the time in Algonquin

It happens far too often, and I’ve seen similar disasters waiting to happen in popular paddling venues all over the country.

Woefully inexperienced/over packed/under prepared/ lost/cluelessly inexperienced canoe campers who have bitten off more than they knew, often escaping disastrous consequences by sheer good fortune.

Those encounters pose the ethical dilemma of how far to intercede, ranging from a bit of advice couched as friendly greetings to dire warnings approaching “Y’all are going to die”.

I don’t want to anyone’s keeper, much less the Know It All arse they met along the way, so any response or intercession depends on just how much real danger to life or limb seems to exist.

Those folks got lucky in finding someone knowledgeable and willing to help just across the way. It could have been a far more expensive and bug bitten lesson.

Live and learn. We all do to some extent at some point in our lives. Most of us come through unscathed, or nearly so, with new found respect and knowledge.

Alan

Failure of mentoring. Sooner or later if people don't the government will. It only takes a few such instances these days to label something as dangerous.
I am glad I was mentored. Didn't stop me from tripping the first time in blue jeans and sweatshirt but oh well.
And the college I learned canoeing at is still running exploratory Canadian trips. That's kind of rare these days.

So have kids and teach them by doing..

Live and learn. We all do to some extent at some point in our lives. Most of us come through unscathed, or nearly so, with new found respect and knowledge.

Alan

Yep. You can counsel the kids and try to teach them but ultimately most of us and them have gone through something similar at some point and have taken that lesson more to heart than anything anybody has ever told us. Glad they are okay and hopefully will continue to paddle and enjoy it..safely.

Ah to be young and dumb again. At that age a buddy and I were disappearing into the White Mountains for days at a time, with no real itinerary and without letting folks know where we were going. Work boots, cotton clothes, crappy sleeping bags and a lousy tent -- just generally woefully unprepared for what can happen pretty easily and often up there weatherwise. We sometimes still talk about how lucky we were not to get killed, but also how truly lucky we were to have the opportunity to do that. As they say, good judgement comes from experience, and experience often comes at the cost of bad judgement. Good on these guys for pushing their limits, and I think its great they plan to try it again.

But looking ahead, these sorts of incidents are not viewed by the public as positive thing.. I fear the nanny state taking over like they tried to in CT at Tarriffville several years ago when a kid drowned ( there were no swimming signs)

More and more the outdoors is viewed as dangerous and I wonder how to put a stop to that or at least put danger into perspective. 40 years ago that would not have made the paper. 40 years ago we probably would have gotten a whupping from an elder.

I could be quick to condemn, however..........when I was 14, my two buddies and I had a look at the local creek that was swollen with March runoff. There was still snow on the banks, but it looked like a good adventure. We dragged the 13 foot sportspal canoe to the bridge and launched, with the three of us in it. No life jackets, heavy clothes, and one of my buddies had hip waders on. The water was so high that there was a standing tree in the middle of a bit of fastwater. We hit it broadside. The Sportspal folded like a hot dog bun. I jumped clear by grabbing a branch and pulling myself into the tree. The guy in the bow managed to crawl out onto the ice around the tree. The guy in the middle, who had the hip waders on, was the meat in the canoe sandwich. As the canoe folded tighter around him, it began to pull him underwater. He had his arms wrapped around the tree, and we had hold of him too. The canoe almost had him pulled under to his chin when there was a great gushing sound, and we were able to haul him into the tree. The canoe had folded around his hip waders, and suddenly ripped them off, resulting in his release from the Sportspal sandwich.

We had to walk home two or three miles through snow covered trails, my buddy with one sock and no shoes. When we got to his place, we dried our clothes, got some ropes and went back to salvage the canoe. It had fetched up on a big rock mid stream. By the time we pulled it out, it resembled a tin banana skin, flattened beyond recognition. It was his dad's canoe, so we were all pretty worried. We took all the strofoam out, used rubber mallets to pound it into a sort of canoe shape, and then coated the insde seams with roofing tar before re-installing the styrofoam. If his dad noticed, he never said anything. We used that tub for a few more years, but we could never stop it from leaking.

So, I guess some of us have been there, done that and survived to tell that tale.

I could be quick to condemn, however

So, I guess some of us have been there, done that and survived to tell that tale.

I didn’t mean to condemn them to a life of golf and video games, and I wouldn’t want to admit to some tales of my own teenage bravado and stupidity

There is learning via a mentor, and there’s learning from experience. Many of those latter lessons coming from exercising poor judgment.

With luck those guys may be sitting together around a wilderness campfire in 20 or 30 years, retelling an oft-told and embellished tale that begins “Remember that first trip in Algonquin?”

I still camp and trip with some friends from my teenage years, and many of those stories are inappropriate in the presence of women, children or law enforcement.

I don't even where to start in commenting on this one. Those guys should stay close to home and play golf.

Wow talk about being jaded. Yeah these kids are young and clearly didn't know what they were getting into, but at least they learned how difficult it actually is. But overall I'm glad they said it was an awesome time, and when they go back they know what to expect. You, on the other hand.. You should be the one on the golf course. Mr crabby internet guy.

I wouldn't call them kids or young exactly. They were 18 and 19 years old. Sounds like one was even in the Marines "I lost my Marine Corps-issued pack and my fire-starting gear, said Parker". The pamphlet they quoted about paddle in campsites is the one from the friends of Algonquin and specifically states the paddle in campsites are at Canisbay and Shall lake.
You'd think they would have done a little research before driving to a different country and going on a full blown canoe trip in strange waters!

I sometimes read comments to articles in the newspaper. I liked the comment in the Wooster paper. To the effect that they need to do a canoe trip again and soon for closure.
A nice positive comment. Usually comments are negative

More and more the outdoors is viewed as dangerous and I wonder how to put a stop to that or at least put danger into perspective. 40 years ago that would not have made the paper. 40 years ago we probably would have gotten a whupping from an elder.

More and more the outdoors is getting further from the masses. They don't even know how their food is grown.

These kids today have accsess to all the info they need in there phone to get them started. One or two good books on expidition canoeing and they would have had a different outcome. When I took my first trip at 17 I would have had to go to the library to find some info.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again.

Alexander Pope 1709

Kid's brains are wired differently than us old folks. They are impulsive risk takers. When I take them on trips, the most inexperienced kids always want to run the rapids. I try to impress on them that they will likely die or be mangled beyond repair, but the gleam is still there in their eyes. Most of the older kids know better, as i will usually take them in the bow through some good stuff. Some of the most experienced kids have witnesses or participated in a few dumpings too, so when i say we are portaging, they don't put up much of a fuss.

However, what they get up too when I'm not around is probably another story. I've heard rumours about some of the antics they have tried on their own, and I shake my head, knowing full well that I did stuff twice as dangerous as them at the same age. The difference is they actually have some skills, whereas I had nothing except the old adage "paddle faster".

sounds like part newspaper hyperbole, part ignorance or misinformation (tattler cabin is mapped at about 8hrs from opeongo put-in), and part hollywood style adventure-adversity/adversarial polarized dramatic expectation mixed with inexperience and lack of skill...

besides the sometimes mercurial and fool-eating opeongo winds, it should have been a really nice, and pretty straight-forward trip...

i'd like to blame technology and kids and televison, the internet and all that stuff...but i doubt that it's not really all that much new...

i expect every generation has their own version of 'deliverance'...

Back