• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

A Stripper and a Composite Copy

What is missed from reading this and a variety of other posts is how the bow and stern get closed up after taking the composite off the mold. I have an old Ellery Canoe that needs new life but in the end I might use it as a plug for a composite. If anyone can point me in the right direction re how to work on the bow and stern, it would be appreciated.

Some pics of the Ellery

Attachments

• IMG_20140705_184607.jpg
    IMG_20140705_184607.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20140705_184600.jpg
    IMG_20140705_184600.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20140705_171209.jpg
    IMG_20140705_171209.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20140705_171201.jpg
    IMG_20140705_171201.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 9
I leave the ends open, trim them later, and glass .
I'll put epoxy saturated Polyester felt ( Sweat shirt material ) on the inside, and a couple of layers of bias cut cloth on the outside.

I have also used the Polyester cloth on the outside. It resembles Kevlar felt, but unlike Kevlar ? The Polyester can be sanded.

Sorry for not including this part of the process !
Here is some pics.
You can add tape to the stems that extends out. So you can trim the Kevlar, and the stems are open.
Another method I use, is to use electrician's tape, several layers are built up. Glass over and cut open after epoxy has cured.

IMG_2037_zps5ermfhq4.jpg

IMG_0412_zpsywugdkoh.jpg

IMG_3903_iJCbNunDbnbv4spghLVrfB.JPG

IMG_0453_zpsy8ulfius.jpg

IMG_0711_zpsig2i8gsv.jpg

IMG_0941_zpsuomvdl9a.jpg

I hope that helps, answers your questions !

Jim

Well the Kevlar copy is legal, and ready for water.
Spar varnished and licensed.

I'm excited about trying out my new seat modification.
I'm hoping this kicks up the comfort of my seats !
Notice the up curve of the side rails.
Some pics.
IMG_4230.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

What is missed from reading this and a variety of other posts is how the bow and stern get closed up after taking the composite off the mold.

Trickcraft, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Your question to Jim Dodd might make an informative standalone thread for future researchers, who might not locate answers within other threads including this one.

Thanks Glen

I posted an answer to Trickcraft's question.

I hope that helps him and others.
There are many ways to copy a hull, this is just the one I choose.
When the time comes for me to make another, I'll tweek my method, as per experience I've gain from my builds so far .
I hope to improve !

Jim

Really nice job! Thank you for taking the time to photograph and document your build. I've enjoyed following along and learned a lot.

Back