• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

A beer with a canoe on it I can recommend

You're killing me. I had toasted tomato sandwiches for supper. And tea. Which reminds me, Octoberfest is coming up soon. There's a very large fest nearby here every year. I've yet to go, but I know it would be a blast. Beer, bratwurst and oom pah pah.
http://www.oktoberfest.ca/Welcome
Brown mustard on your Brats. Nice. What? No onions and sauerkraut?

I wish I had some potato salad, but I actually don't like Sauerkraut, or Kimchi for that matter. I rationalize this by noting that Sauerkraut is not a good thing to eat if you've had a Kidney stone, which I have. I don't think it matters, the sausage and beer aren't exactly health food, but I've never really liked it. My wife loves that stuff though.

I think I will saute up some onions next Brats I do... sounds like a good addition. The mustard is local version of German Brown Mustard. Honestly I could probably do without the rolls too... but I picked up some fresh ones at lunch and they were delicious.

I don't much care for the oompah bands myself, but I do like a nice Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein with some brown mustard, Kartoffelsalat and Rotkohl.

Oktoberfest beers tend to be kind of sweet and malty up front, and dry and hoppy in the finish. I love them, but they aren't for everyone.

Last edited:
l'oiseau,
The details are sketchy. My grandfather went by Goodman and always denied being German or Prussian. His real name was Gudsman. We found some relatives in Minnesota to confirm his real identify. He always claimed the records burned up in the court house fire in upstate NY. The latter part of 19th century is probably accurate for his immigration. He served in the Canadian Army in WWI. He had a million stories of building oil derricks out of oak beams in OK, and being a teamster for the NP across Montana. He loved Percherons. He hunted wolves for bounty in Montana when it was too cold to lay track. He once claimed he could cook beans 50 ways. I said "Okay, I am coming to your house every Wed nite for a year." He took the challenge and I got to hear all of those stories. He was a hard man that grew up in tough times. Once he liked a person, they could do no wrong. Sometimes he would have a shot of whiskey with me and then start playing the harmonica and reciting the old poetry. I loved the guy.

Our service club just had our annual Oktoberfest with an umpa band, local German sausages, sauerkraut, strudel, hot potato salad and some great beer in lots of kegs. We always have Spaten in a few flavors, and this year had Festbier from a brewery in Eugene, OR that is hard to pronounce. Our little town was named after a town in Germany. The old timber framed barns in the valley were all built by German immigrants in the second half of the 19th Century. Good times. It makes me think of my grandfather.

Last edited:
Steve,

Nothing shows up in your last post.

ppine,

It's odd about some immigrants, some seem to want to leave the old world behind, some want to try to restart it in North America.

Most of Germany was not a stable place to be for a good many years up to and after the World Wars. It doesn't surprise me that some didn't want to carry the memories.

I find it odd that my Grandmother and her sister had very Americanized first names. I don't think they had any shame about their heritage and the last name, Rothenbuescher, was obviously very German. It may have just been a sign of the time of certain Europeans wanting to emulate American society, and eventually live there.

Last edited:
Well, I'll try this again...

How does Meade go with sausages? I'm kind of a brown mustard and sausage kick right now.

I think I'm really going to need that Nordic Track...

I'm beginning to think that pure meade goes well with anything.

Brown mustard & bratwurst, mmmm.

My father's family also emigrated from Germany in the late 1800's. At some point, at least a couple of the four brothers Americanized the name. I don't know exactly what the reason was (Dad said it was because the spelling was too hard for Americans to pronounce, but the new spelling seems just as confusing), but I do know from some documents I've read that there was some disagreement in the family because of it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure if you have an umlaut or an esset in your name, they were going to have to change it.

I believe Rothenbuescher is actually an Americanized version of Rotenbücher.

I didn't realize Maudite was a Belgian Ale. I'll have to try that actually... It gets 100 from the Bros... might be too over the top for me, but I'll try. Some of the really highly rated beers on there are only good to me for a few sips, after that I'm overdone. It's like eating rich food.

As for Florida, I wouldn't expect it to be known for brewing. Before refrigeration it was almost impossible to brew beer during the summer, that's why there are so many different varieties. Florida would have been a horrible place for a brewery.

I only really know of the German types but the Märzen or Oktoberfestbier was brewed in March and lasted the longest, so it was stored and used last, in the fall, when brewing had re-commenced and new, fresh beers were becoming ready to drink. The whole style originated by being a highly hopped (relatively for German beers) brew whose main purpose was longevity. Hops acts as preservative in beer. Also because Germans didn't seem to favor really hoppy beers, it is fairly malty, to try to balance out some of the bitterness.

Apparently that all changed with the Pilsner though. It's the number one selling variety in Germany. Second is the Munich Helles, which was Bavaria's answer to the Czech Pilsner (Germans still claim it was a German who invented it). A Munich Helles is still a step down in bitterness from a Pils though, at least IMO.

These days that's not an issue...

PA030242.JPG

Another one for fun. My favorite Dunkel. Tastes like dark bread... some toffee and caramel hints and some hops in the finish. It's expensive, but it's not a beer you want to drink a lot of.

It's a bit bitter hop in the finish, but it has plenty of malt to balance it out. If you can find it, give it a try. It's not one that is common I don't think.

You can probably skip dessert, or maybe even dinner with this one as well. It's pretty hearty although not heavy in the mouth and surprisingly carbonated.

I was turned on to them 4-5 years ago by a somalia an Calgary Co-op Liquor Stores, which has a massive Wall of Beer. I was browsing some of the imported Belgian offerings, when he told me to try some of the Unibroue offerings. Not one I don't like, but do have a few favourites, including Maudite.

For quite a while now, I mostly buy some of the larger beers, as do friends and family. They are a great way to get to try, and share, some of the many great offerings out there. I do buy some beer in cases still.

I am blown away with all the great beers available now from across the world, and am impressed how many are local too. Heck, most Canadians remember a time when US beers seemed so much weaker tasting than ours, and even our beer was pathetic by comparison to to today's offerings. But, I now buy here a lot of the US offerings (Rouge beers, brewed in Oregon a big favourite), and truly enjoy trying many of the local beers when travelling in the US now.

This is a great age to be a beer drinker in.

Jim

Last edited:
Back