• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

A beer with a canoe on it I can recommend

There is some science to them I suppose. I try to use the correct glass for the type of beer.

I have a few different weizen glasses, and even those are not created equal.

First we have the shapely woman glass:

weizen_glass.jpg

This one is my least favorite, and not because it has anything to do with shapely women. The flaw, at least for me, is that the beer tend to become flat in it as you drink it. The extreme curve causes the beer to slosh too much when it gets down towards the bottom. And with a weizen beer, that really kills the taste.

Next is the athletic woman glass:

images

This one is slightly better than the curvy girl for keeping the suds from going off at the bottom, but it's not superior.

Enter the man shaped glass:

images

While not as sexy as the other two, it does it job in showing of the impressive head that weizen beer should have and funneling the aromas to your schnozola whilst keeping the carbonation full on to the last drop.

I own all three, and the one I showed in the pictures is my favorite and it most resembles the man shaped glass.

That may be a man shaped glass, and I assure you I'm a man; but that in no way resembles this man. Time, gravity and the good life take their toll. I resemble a snifter. I won't post my snifter shape, but you can go ahead and google snifter.
I guess that glass shapes make a difference, but I don't know. I just pour, tip and drain. As for wine, my wife insists on a correct glass. I even bought her a plastic tripping wine glass. As at home, I prefer a small fruit juice type heavy glass for drinking wine. I've been told it's the simple Old World rustic way. I like that. Suits me fine.

I agree ppine... I could go for one now.

Went with caramelized onions this time (thanks Brad), a marked improvement:

PA080243.JPG

Now to figure out how to make this meal on a canoe trip....

Last edited:
I agree ppine... I could go for one now.

Went with caramelized onions this time, a marked improvement:

Now to figure out how to make this meal on a canoe trip....
Easy. Come to Lows Lake.No refrigeration required at this time of the year. Don't want to hijack thread but if you can come for some day even one I promise to go through the attic tomorrow ISO unloved backpacking gear. It looks like I can make the "event"

Apologies this should have been sent to Mike Oiseau via pm.

I cringe as I post this.. Flail away.. is there a contact license plate or phone number?. We are both thinking of the same weekend which is good. There is nothing as embarassing as being a week early or late. And I have done both.. Garage survey results tomorrow so you can evaluate the pickings.

Trying the Maudite right now.

It's sweet. But not too sweet. Definitely has the sour note, to my palette. I'd say it's pretty spicy, and it is a spiced beer... I get a lot black cherry/dark fruit flavor up front. Almost no bitterness, mostly dry sour in the finish. Surprisingly carbonated. I like the smell far better than the taste.

I'd say if you like this, you'd like the Hennepin. Surprisingly similar flavor profiles. Obviously less malt and different yeast flavor in the Hennepin, more banana fruit taste than a dark fruit. The spice and sourness are very similar to me. Hennepin has more spice - lots of coriander.

This beer seems similar to a Flanders Red to me, just spicier.

I can bring you one to Lows if you want as long as you promise not to drink it before you drive home :p

FWIW I like the Maudite better than the Hennepin, but not by much. I actually prefer the Trois Pistoles for this style from this brewery.

I recently returned from a beer-intensive canoe trip to the Saranac Lakes, and had an opportunity to sample three beers that had canoes on their labels. Of the three, my favorite was Founders All Day IPA. Also, Matt Brewing Company, who brew the "Saranac" beers, have a couple different canoes gracing their Saranac Pale Ale and Saranac Lager containers. -rs

Of the three, my favorite was Founders All Day IPA. -rs

Just the other day, I picked up a six-pack of All Day IPA. It was new to me and I'm always looking for something I haven't had. Besides, with the time change fast approaching on November 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] I wanted to make sure the fridge was well stocked for the Fallback celebration.

I was attracted to the label with the red canoe on the woody wagon but I'm also glad to hear that it has a Horbert endorsement. I may have to crack into it before the time change. I see another trip to the beer store before we set the clocks back.

Back