• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

4 days solo at Marshall Lake

Reaction score
So after another nice meal and cold brews at Memaquay's house I set off for 4 days solo at Marshall Lake, about 70 plus miles northwest of Geraldton, Ontario.
Again I used my cart to move my canoe and packs the mile down the dirt road to the lake. (no motorized vehicles allowed)
DSC01183.JPG

When I reached the lake, I paddled away from the put in and hide my cart in the bush along a beach. I walked the beach but no tracks at all, although a heavy rain might have cleared everything the night before.

DSC01184.JPG

I paddled further down this massive beach and walked again. No trash at all, no lures to find, no tracks to see, just a pristine beach on a beautiful lake.
(sorry about the zip lock bag in the picture:cool:)

DSC01185.JPG

I headed east on the lake to see what the rest of it looked like. The normal canoe route goes west from the put in and since I had the time, the wind was down I would explore a little. There is a small stream the leads to a smaller remote lake that Memaquay had told me about, but I put that off till later, unfortunately the wind had other plans for me.
So after pretty much circling the whole lake I ended up at the first campsite our group trip had stayed at a week before. I set up my tarp and made a small fire to cook some Klick and homefries in the Coldhandle. Some coffee to top it off and I was content.

DSC01196.JPG

DSC01186.JPG

DSC01187.JPG

My little solo North Face Pebble tent set up on a bed of moss,

DSC01195.JPG

The next day was calm and a great day to do some paddling, but I needed some rest so I just hung out at camp, fished a little (only pike) met a first nations couple who own one of the two cabins on the lake.
They where fishing in the evening and smelled my fire so they motored over.
"Hi, I'm George, this is Alice" he said as he pointed to a women in the bow, she smiled, then looked away and never made eye contact again.
He pointed to my fire and said "Me and my Grandfather used to have tea at that fireplace"
I said it was a beautiful campsite and very peaceful.
He pointed to my canoe rolled over on it's side and said "nice canoe"
DSC01193.JPG

I explained it was a Chestnut and made in Canada. He nodded and smiled. I told him I had just completed a trip down the Grip River to the Kap with Rob Haslam (Memaquay)and friends, he said he went to Geraldton HS but there was someone else in charge of the Outers program at that time. He knew of Rob, but had never met him.
I mentioned the small trappers cabin at the first port out of Marshall, he said it was his Grandfathers trappers cabin and it was built by his Grandmother and Mother.
DSC01964.JPG

Before he left, he mentioned that I should stop in for coffee on my way out, I said Thanks but the next days wind and time prevented that visit.

Late in the afternoon of my second day the wind began to pick up, and by evening it was blowing too hard to paddle or fish. It was a south wind and the temps rose into the mid 90's. The wind blew all night and all the next day. Had I moved to the south side of the lake I would be out of the wind and fishing, but "what if's" are a good part of paddling in this country.

So I spent the third day waiting out the wind, swimming and straightening out my tent for tenth time. I did manage to do some paddling in a small area of the lake out of the wind but it was a long wind bound day. No fish except some small pike.

My last day the wind stopped, early morning the lake was like glass.
DSC01207.JPG

I didn't rush it, made a nice breakfast and packed up.
I trolled the shoreline and managed to catch a mess of Pickerel on my way out, but all where released on barb less hooks.

Real nice trip report, especially the interaction with the locals!!

Ohhhhh nice. I knew I should have stowed away in one of those big packs of yours. I was kind of worried about the heat while you were out there though, it was plenty hot those days
Seems like you have the whole pickerel fishing thing pretty much figured out. Its too bad you didnt get to chow down on some more. It's good to see you come up here and have such a good time. A WCPP and two Geraldtons...nice resume.

Christy

Here's some more history on Marshall. A very wealthy American family called Deeds had 6 lodges across Northwestern Ontario including Meta Lake and Brace Lake. The original lodge on Deed's Island was very swanky and catered to a wealthy crowd. Apparently, one of the Wright brothers (of airplane fame) spent quite a bit of time at the lodge on Marshall recovering from a broken leg. So that area must have been hopping at one time.

Great way to unwind from a group trip, going on a quiet solo to explore, fish, slow down. Thanks for sharing this Robin.
Loved hearing about George and his family and their connection to the place.
Calm conditions and sunshine sure puts a different and pleasing complexion on a lake and her shores. I guess I can now add that campsite to the others, sites I'd like to spend some more time at.

Nice report Robin ... man with reports like the ones I have read this morning it is hard to go to work and know it will not until June before I have a chance to roam the back country again (with lots of PT time in the mean time). Stories and pics like these really give me the itch to go back. I know Jake would love to go for sure! Great report Robin.

Bob.

Great report Robin, and just finished reading the other TRs of your group trip. Sounds as though everyone had a great time. Just got back from 11 days in Alaska so I am playing forum catchup.
The first time I ran into Klick was at a Chinese restaurant in Ignace that had Sweet and Sour Klick on the menu. I thought that was hilarious but now I wish I had ordered it!!
Dave

Robin, You are really making me want to take a trip ! THANKS !!

Jim

Robin, my 78 year old father-in-law just made me the cadillac of canoe carts. Easily take three canoes at once. You know, if we were to do that route again, it would probably be fun to spend 2 or three days on Marshall at the beginning, poking around, fishing, visiting the historical sites, plus that cart could carry in a truck load of beer, before we took off for the trip proper, we could drop off the empties back at the road, and pick up some extra cans of klick!

Robin, my 78 year old father-in-law just made me the cadillac of canoe carts. Easily take three canoes at once. You know, if we were to do that route again, it would probably be fun to spend 2 or three days on Marshall at the beginning, poking around, fishing, visiting the historical sites, plus that cart could carry in a truck load of beer, before we took off for the trip proper, we could drop off the empties back at the road, and pick up some extra cans of klick!

How many carts did he make?

Cool. Sounds like just the thing for that mile long lane way to Marshall L. Better keep it a secret from the Outers!
Orrrrr it might be a welcome way to haul canoes and gear for the school crew, speeding things up and getting the trippers on the water sooner.
While hanging around the put-in, I was wondering how the boats and trailers made the long trip from parking lot to lake without a vehicle. Robin found a kind of trailer towing hand cart stashed in the undergrowth. Ya gotta be inventive sometimes to get things done.

Last edited:
Back