• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

38 spl. Plans are now available !

Reaction score
Recieved an email Yesterday, from Dan Meer, at NorthWest canoe.

They have a few sets of the original plans available.
I know the price seems high, but they are providing enough copies, to use to cut all the molds. Plus a $30 coupon. A bargain in my book !

here is the link !
https://northwestcanoe.com/shop?olsP...al-canoe-plans

Looks like only two sets left !

Phone # for North West Canoe 651 229 0192

Call afternoons

Jim

Last edited:
For those unfamiliar with the 38 Spl.. It was designed, by enlarging Bruce Kunz's Merlin, to accommodate larger paddlers.

Bruce used a 3.8% enlargement formula. Thus the 38 Spl.

It's designed to be 16'.2" in length, ( 12.5" form spacing) Stemless built. Flat keel line, and plumb stems. An efficient hull, with good tumblehome ! A relatively easy hull to build as opposed to Shouldered Tumble homed canoes.

I've built this design, and modified versions myself. Never really improving on it.

I ordered a set, mostly to compare to My original 38 Spl plans, that I purchased from Bruce.

By the way ! I have no affiliation with North West Canoe, other than being a paying customer !

Jim

Northwest canoe had the 38 Spl. plans at my door Tuesday !

They look Awesome ! Included was 16 full size copies. One for each form, + one. This really takes a lot of work out of cutting forms and getting them right !

I also ordered a Gunnel Stainless Steel screw and bolt set, good for a Tandem. I used the $30 coupon on that ! A great bargain !

Thanks Dan !

Jim

Last edited:
I think I'm going to spring for a set.

You won't be disappointed ! An excellent design. Built to fit the need of a BWCA paddler.

Bruce was a 138 #, 5' 8" size of a guy. He built his Merlin to spent a few weeks in the BWCA, after a divorce. Friends talked him into enlarging his very popular Merlin, to suit the needs of a larger paddler !

I'd call and talk to Dan, if you want to use the coupon, when you order with plans !

I found a pic of my youngest son paddling my 38 in the BWCA, years ago ! He would always leave us in his wake, rarely allowing me to get a good pic !

Canoeing_zps34456778.jpg​​​​​​​

Back