• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

2023 Leaf Change and Fall Color Where You Are

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of us like to canoe in fall color. Tell us how the leaf changing is going in your area.

Here in southern NW Connecticut, there is no color change yet. Daytime temps are still in the mid-70s to low 80s F (21-27 C) with nights in the 50s or 60s F (10-15 C). Nevertheless, most of the leaves have fallen off one of my birch trees—the one that is right next to my parking slab and above my cars.

I like the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan where the colors typically turn around the end of September. And I also like to be up there after the leaves have fallen on clear, full moon nights.

For some reason I can't click on it to access thee site, but this gives a geographic update on the leaves turning in the ADK's.

First started noticing some color here and there around a week, maybe ten days ago. Seems to have pretty much stalled since then. Last of September to first week of October has been the usual window up here; this season looks like it may be a little later. I have some vacation time to use, deciding whether to go for 1st or 2nd week of October.

My maple has gone straight to brown, crazy leaf loss, but straight to brown. Some others going red. One thing I've noticed, is the loss of birds? My feeders stay full much longer. Also the berry's on my dog woods are not being devoured by the rodents(squirls and chipmunks) also various birds. Maybe the heat, but definitely not so normal. Iam in Putnam co. New york.

Most of the color change in my part of central NYS can be attributed to all the rain we've been having. Many leaves have turned yellow due to over watering from above. Seems to have put a lot of stress on the trees. Not something we can control like when you over water your garden.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Just came back from the Gunflint Trail area of the BWCA. The tamarack had begun to yellow along with the birch. By the time we hit south Wisconsin, the color change had disappeared. We have a very little bit of yellowing here in central Indiana, but even the corn and beans are still green. We usually hit peak color in mid-late October.

For some reason I can't click on it to access thee site, but this gives a geographic update on the leaves turning in the ADK's.
Percentages of color change were just uploaded today.

The seasonably cool nights welcomed the early blush of red maples a couple of weeks ago here in Southern Ontario. Unlike past years when annual droughts would trigger the yellows and browns a month before fall colours, this year we've had ample rainfall, so it's been refreshing to see a green and verdant landscape last well into Indian summer. A full colour change is still weeks away, and I can wait. Good things come...

Last edited:
It’s a little early for SW Ohio yet….Poison Ivy is turning red! 😂. The Sycamores are some of the first to change…..a little yellow, but mostly brown…they are starting to drop…..we are still a few weeks away from some real color. We do have a couple varieties of Maple and my favorite, the Sweet gum……changes from green to a blend of orange, purple, and crimson!

Mike

Walnut leaves are yellowing, some are dropping due to our summer long drought. Maples are just starting to turn, will be a few weeks yet. Bur and White oak acorns are dropping … we are about 3-4 weeks early it would seem.

Here in mid coast Maine, our ash have a little color, the maples are still green. Hopefully, the approching storm doesn't strip the trees of leaves as has happened in the not to distant past.

Trees stop making chlorophyll in response to the day length or photoperiod. Then the colors that are always there become visible. Leaf senecense causes them to lose their leaves.

Just came back from Hope Valley on the Toiyabe National Forest at 7,200 feet. in CA near home. The willows have turned and the aspens are just starting. A few maples around the Valley have started to show red.

That is 100 percent true ( retired biology teacher ). However, with severe drought transpiration turns to wilting. When sun light begins to wain ( and the angle of the light is less intense ) trees stop making chlorophyll as loss of water and not enough sugar production are liabilities. The trees are turning off early due their intense stress. We are weeks early here in south western Wi.

Hi Bob,
Yes drought stress can cause trees to give up early and shed their leaves. We see it often in the West.

Glenn,

Our property was homesteaded in 1894. Management and priorities have changed several times over the years. We have a total of 16 outbuildings, all of which are in various stages of disrepair and collapse. We have put tin roofs on most of them, which should extend their useable life beyond our own.

Mostly the outbuildings allow us to store junk we will never use. The grey outbuilding on the left stores old, untreated spruce deck boards that we removed to replace with cedar. The large, red shed behind it is where we park our van for the winter. The far right red shed is where we store our garden hoses for the winter. The smaller red shed to it’s left is where we keep the tack supplies of our sled dogs, the last of which passed away in 2016. It also houses our loading ramps and our garden tiller. The smaller shed, mostly obscured in middle front is where we keep four dog houses that I made, but no longer use. A larger shed, not shown here, an old barn, is where we store our two remaining canoes, and our ski-doo during summer. On and on it goes.

Back