• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

1905-1909 B.N. Morris

Up here is Whitehorse Yukon, we also have a lot of white spruce, that said not really clear, unfortunately. I will be going at Douglas Ingram to work on a timber cruiser some time in the next year. most likely in the fall. But I would be happy to bring some wood down. Since I will be bringing some for my canoe, it would be easy to bring more...

So, it does seem I can bend the KD spruce to meet the inwale curve. It did rebound more than I had hoped but it is very close to what I need. This was soaked for 4-6 hours, no steam and left on the jig for 5 days. Now, all I need to do is source the wood. I've begun to make all the necessary jigs and the stem jig since I need to replace about 16" on both stems.

So, Christine insists we will have heat in the shop over the Winter, so I have to get back to the tasks at hand. We still haven't found a source for the inwale wood but Christine is speaking with a couple of private mills so that could work out eventually.

In the past couple of weeks I've been puttering away and bending the new stems. Usually we only need to replace maybe the top 4 inches but on this we are replacing about half and there is a wicked curve right where it needs to be cut. These stems are white cedar and quite small, 1/2" on the backside, 1/4" on the leading edge. The edge is also concave, but I will do that later.

First attempt using solid wood both pieces broke. I think our cedar might be too dry. So, I cut new stock to do a lamination, it won't be seen and it will be stronger. The laminates bent beautifully even without steaming and after a couple days on the forms I pulled them off, added glue and put them back for a day. Came out exactly as they need to be.

Today's task was cutting in the rough shape. I will clean them up with the belt sander later, but for now, this will work. I mark the two edges for final shape, set up the band saw on an angle with a guide, and slowly take the taper off to give me the rough shape. Sounds easy enough. Problem with the less expensive band saws is, if you put too much pressure on the blade they break, which can be annoying.

It worked out well and I plan to use a bird's mouth joint so I roughed that as well and it looks like it will all work out. It will be tedious to get it to fit just right and straight, so I will tackle that when I have more patience than today.

Funny thing about all this is, I really don't know what I'm doing, I just make it up as I go along. Perhaps time will help solve that. :)

The guy that I get my Sitka Spruce from, is kind of hit and miss, in regard of his milling schedule, he's milling this week end but only 8' logs, so that work for me since I need only 6 feet stock for paddle making, but I would like to get longer stock and he knows about it. In the mean time, I got some quote from a mill in Alaska, next door to us, and the price was $10/bf but that is not shipped, they would ship for about 10% of the cost to Haines Ak that is about 5 hours drive from me... I also got the name of two small private sawyer in Haines Ak, I will contact them end of next week and see what they can offer.

I'll keep you informe if you are interested.

Cheers

Mihun,
Nice work with the stems and inwales. Bending materials can be a little tricky sometimes. I used to work in a round top window factory one summer. All I did was their laminated glue ups for the multitude of stock radius tops and brick molds they provided. Everything from small 16" to large 8ft radius. Quite a learning experience.

Is the stem radius much different than others you have worked on? Will the other stem need to be replaced too? Or is it just the one?

Nice job explaining the lamination of the new stem. I think that old Morris lucked out and found someone who has the talent and desire to bring it back to life. Good for both of you, nice job

Last edited:
Mihun,
Nice work with the stems and inwales. Bending materials can be a little tricky sometimes. I used to work in a round top window factory one summer. All I did was their laminated glue ups for the multitude of stock radius tops and brick molds they provided. Everything from small 16" to large 8ft radius. Quite a learning experience.

Is the stem radius much different than others you have worked on? Will the other stem need to be replaced too? Or is it just the one?

Both stems, about the same length. The issue with these being that they are cedar and a previous repairer used screws to attach the planking to the stems, leaving many holes.

The radius on these is very different. In the past they would have the recurve but straighten out near the top, on these it is a continuous curve until it meets the inwale. The inwale will actually sit on top of the stem. It should be a very profound shape in the end but not near as steep as some Morris canoes I have seen photo's of.

I did go back out and finish shape the stems, including the birds mouth cuts and fitting to the old stems. I will try to finish the stripping in the ends before epoxying in the new stems. With the planking not attached to anything makes it easier to get in and strip the black paint. I will thoroughly varnish the stems before epoxying them in since they are laminated with a "outdoor" wood glue and I don't wish to experiment with delamination.

Nice work! You motivated me to start restoring my w/c canoe, which will be easy compared to your restoration. Very impressive.

No updates yet. Still have not found clear white spruce and it looks like we won't find any, at least until we track down a private mill in the province over the Summer. We are considering either Sitka or Douglas Fir. The DF would be cheaper, the Sitka closer to original, but a single 1x6 could set us back up to $400.

Sometime in January we should have power and real heat in the shop, if the electrician comes through after the holidays.

Been working at cleaning the black paint from the bow and stern but am not sure all of it will come off, which happens when someone paints bare wood. Time will tell.

Have you tried Laurentian Wood floors, Harry at 204-482-7785 ? He is located in Selkirk and mills wood from logs. I believe he used to supply some of the canoe manufacturers with ash gunnels. Great guy. The other suggestion I have is Finmac lumber on Elgin between McPhillips and Arlington in Winnipeg. Their phone # is 204-786-7694.

The Morris is such a gorgeous canoe. It was a privilege to actually see it. I would love to see the final result.:)

Finn Mac is wholesale only, which we do have a friend who will order for us, but he can't get that sort of lumber from then either. So no joy there. I will give Harry a shout. I may be able to score some longish spruce logs from up north and if so perhaps he would mill them for us. Or he may have some of what we seek for a premium price? You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the tip.

Christy

Shop is getting wired today, finally, will have 60amps available and the 4000W heater will get hooked up before Spring.

Meantime, still no wood for the inwales although there is a Sitka 2x6x12 foot stick available in town at Windsor. It would be enough to scarf up 2 inwales only and would run us about $380 with taxes. $28 a board foot. I may choose to go with D Fir instead, need to get into the store and see what they have. Not really any options for spruce at all.

The Morris will likely need to wait, Christine would like the other 15 foot Tremblay finished right away so we can sell it to pay for the electrical work getting done. It may come back into the shop next weekend so we can get back on that.

Karin

Hi Mihun,
I was going through a list of material I have in my "stash" and realize that I have a gorgeous piece of mahogany that may suit your needs if you are willing to deviate from the spruce you were looking for. I can get you some dimensions of the piece if you want. You just have to let me know.

Glad to hear you have some electricity and heat in your shop. Nice hurdle to get over.

Again, let me know if you are interested.

Momentum

It's funny you should mention that... less than an hour ago we were out in the shop and I suggested we maybe go with mahogany instead of spruce. We just cannot get spruce here, which is stupid since it is the provincial official freaking tree. Some Morris' did come with mahogany as oem inwales, so it wouldn't be a stretch to do with that and it would solve the present crisis. Dimensions, cost, shipping costs, all good, yes please.

Mihun,

Great! Funny how stuff like that "just seems to work out". My material is stored at a friend's barn, as I have no room here. I'll get hold of him to get you an overall size. If it's suitable, we can talk about the other stuff later. I'm not sure about restrictions on shipping oversize items, so will have to look into that too. Are you near a courier pick up location?

I'll get back to you :)

Mihun,

Ok, so I have 2 pieces of material you may be interested in... both Mahogany ( I can't remember what kind, it's been that long that I have had it)
One piece that is 1" x 12" x 8'-0" and one piece that is 1" x 8" x 8'-0". The thickness is a nominal 1" so it isn't quite and inch thick.Nice straight tight grain.

If you are interested in either of these, or you want pics, PM me and we can talk about how I can get them to you. The good news is that because they are not over 8 ft, the shipping costs should be kept to a minimum (that's relative)

Just let me know, ok?

Momentum

Mihun,
Here are some pics of the mahogany if you are interested. They aren't that good but it will give an idea anyways. Just let me know. DSC_0126.JPG DSC_0125.JPG

That is nice looking mahogany but the 8 foot length is not going to help ....I have been getting plantation mahogany here in that size. We are reeeeeaallly hoping to find an 18 foot piece of something so there are no scarf joints. Even if we do scarfs, the 8 footers would require two scarfs ....which we may indeed have to go to at some point.

If you were closer I would grab those anyway but to ship wood that we can get locally is not cost effective.

I am finding that the Honduran is darker than most of the plantation ( Phillipine??) mahogany. I was wondering about planking an entire stripper with mahogany? That would be pretty. Or red cedar ribs with mahogany planking on a canvas boat?Oooooohhhh. LOL.

Christy

We may have found a place to get clear white spruce, it is going to be expensive though, likely the same as sitka. I will know for certain next Friday, hopefully, but anywhere from $12 to $20 a foot for it, custom order. The local NA Lumber store in Stonewall said they can get it, and I did make it plain that it needs to be clear of knots, and they said they can get it from their mill, but it will be pricey. If it is too expensive we can still get a shorter length and do a scarf joint. Even Doug Ingram cannot find clear white spruce.

Back