• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Zipper And Knot Technology

Reaction score
Within the last 5-7 years I happened upon this technique for adding a pull tab to a zipper. Today I was putting yet another on and thought documenting the steps might be of interest to others.

Using this method, it would strain me to tell anyone how many I've put on in the last 7 years. So many companies will use a zipper in their product but leave you only the little metal tab for a handle. The counter balanced pull from each side of the zipper, and being anchored low on the zipper makes the whole assembly operate very smoothly.

Finish it off with a figure 8 knot and you have a nice zipper pull.

Works with all size zippers. The key is finding a rope diameter small enough to thread the lower aperture on the zipper. 2mm line works on the smaller zippers, and many will accept 3mm line.

This has been too useful to me not to share with others. Just be careful when you get all excited and start to tie one on.

STEP 1

Zip1.JPG

STEP 2

Zip2.JPG

STEP 3

Zip3.JPG

STEP 4

Zip4.JPG

STEP 5

Zip5.JPG

Last edited:
This is one of those dumb little things I keep meaning to do but keep putting off. Too easy! Now I just need to get some small cord that isn't fluorescent orange or yellow.

Thanks,

Alan

oooh oooh oooh.. I hate how robust outdoor gear these days comes with little tiny zipper pulls..

I am gonna tie one on right now.!

What else is on the bench...curious

Now I just need to get some small cord that isn't fluorescent orange or yellow.

You'll find the 2mm line the most useful as, except for the extremely small ones, it fits all the zippers. I bought a 50 ft section of cord quite some time ago. That didn't last long -- as I would pack for a trip I would stumble on multiple pieces of gear that lack the pull ties. My current zipper ties are using the second 50 foot section of cord.

Will - Thanks for the pictorial. I've done pretty much the same thing and use small pieces of Kelty "Trip-tease" line that I have hanging around from upgrading my tarp lines. Not sure if I'll ever need the reflective feature of the cord but it does help finding things in low light situations.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

This is going to be one nights activity for the kids on trip, and maybe some of the adults. I have a few balls of colored 2 and 3mm cord kicking around

If you are feeling really adventurous you can actually cut the metal pull off entirely. Except on locking zippers it is not essential. Just thread your cord through the hole where the metal pull used to be. Saves weight and stops the rattling!

Will........
Great idea, many thanks for that wonderful tip. Instead of the figure 8 knot, I have been trying to tie the lanyard knot (also called diamond knot) from memory, so rather than using a piece of cord, repeatedly tying and untying the same knot over and over, I can make zipper pulls to get my practice in and have something useful when I am done.
BV......
Will have to try removing the metal pull entirely or a easy repair if needed.
.........BB

Back