• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

High(er) Protein Granola

Oatmeal and Kamut are virtually the same in carb and protein amounts, so while it's a nice change of pace it's not low carb. This is my go-to for low carb granola, substituting in whatever nuts and seeds I have on hand.

The coconut powder is used in our tripping Thai dishes but also in our granola as a replacement for cow's milk. I have a slight intolerance to lactose. We've used powdered milk in the past but I kinda like the subtle tropical twist now to my granola.

Hello Odyssey: are you willing to share your recipes for the Thai dishes?

I also started using coconut powder in my coffee, for example. I didn't think about using it as a replacement for milk in granola. I've just been eating the granola with hot water. It is pretty good that way.

Thanks,
Erica

Oatmeal and Kamut are virtually the same in carb and protein amounts, so while it's a nice change of pace it's not low carb. This is my go-to for low carb granola, substituting in whatever nuts and seeds I have on hand.

You are correct about the protein equivalents of oatmeal and kamut. I miscalculated due to the per gram amounts being different. Good catch. Thank you. I probably should switch to oatmeal then, being less inflammatory.

I agree the recipe I posted is not low carb. Just higher protein and healthier than your average store granola. I don't want to be without easily accessible sugars during a canoe trip when I am very active. Hence, not using a no carb recipe. That said, the recipe you posted looks good and I will try it for at home use. Thank you.

Erica

Hello Odyssey: are you willing to share your recipes for the Thai dishes?

I also started using coconut powder in my coffee, for example. I didn't think about using it as a replacement for milk in granola. I've just been eating the granola with hot water. It is pretty good that way.

Thanks,
Erica

I too am a plain water granola type. When the kids were young and came along on trips we brought a fresh carton of milk. Now as empty nester trippers our menus have changed. Maybe my wife has gone coocoo for coconut but it's a taste I've acquired too. Not yet in my coffee perhaps. I'll have her describe her Thai recipe tonight, it's very basic.* I love coconut in soups etc, lending an east Asian direction to some meals. But back to granola, we add coconut oil rather than butter or other oils to the mix before baking in the oven. In camp a little powdered milk of whichever kind goes in the bowl for another layer of flavour. Every little bit helps.

* From what I've seen looking over her shoulder she puts her spice mix together, which may contain green curry paste, Kaffir lime leaves, red chili...We moved from using fresh chicken to dehydrated for safety reasons. Rice or noodles is an easy addition. Cooking is her happy place so I'll get her to share some happy tonight.

Last edited:
^ Does she know of any noodles, besides ramen, that cook in 3 minutes or less?

We like either udon or longkou vermicelli noodles. Udon are tossed into the final hot dish, we don't bother cooking the fresh floppy rubber band noodles for very long, 2 minutes maybe? The longkou need to rehydrate for 15 minutes in piping hot water, or you can stir fry them straight from the packet in a little oil for crunchy noodles.

Checking the product ingredients I find the udon is made from wheat flour. The longkou is made from green beans and peas.

Last edited:
Back