• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

WTB SnowTrekker 8x10 Basecamp and Stove or Similar

Is the tent 10 ft deep and 8 ft wide or reversed? Now you got me thinking about the same size. Good choice.

Congratulations on your purchase, wise choice. I can't wait for a trip into the wilderness pulling a sled with gear in tow.

Yup, congrats, I pulled the trigger on a 9 x 11.5 shortwall a couple of weeks ago. Winter has really hit up here now, might try it out this weekend!

Nice job, sounds like a real good tent and stove, and you will no doubt get a lot of use from it.

Now I'll have competition for campsites just after ice out and deer season too in the Adirondacks...looking forward to seeing it in action.

We love our 8 x 10!

I know ours is only a crew and not a shortwall, but it has lots of room if you plan your layout and keep things tidy in the tent. You can set a small stove up at right angles to the main axis of the tent to give more room. A good reflector behind the stove lets you get it close in to the wall.

low_PC272550_zps96987cb0.jpg

You should have room to get a cot along the back wall or one side if you want. Last time out my wife slept on the cot and I slept at right angles with my feet underneath the cot. We had room for three extra folk to visit each evening plus space for our largish dog to stretch out.

image006_low_zpslqlunqoa.jpg

Thanks all. Trip reports to follow. Definitely some early n late paddle trips in the future.

Bothwell, beautiful photos. The crew sure sets up clean, thought about that one also..too many choices.

No Title

I am a little late to this thread but I like the tents everyone is using. I opted for an Artic Oven AO12 with the vestibule. I have used it in Idaho on extended trips and have nothing but good things to say about the product. I have options for both wood heat or propane. At 12x12 and 80 pounds total it is a little to heavy for a canoeing tent. A smaller, lighter, canoe tripping tent is in my future for 2017. It will need to be big enough for two people and a medium sized dog. Here is a photo of the AO in Idaho.

Attachments

• photo5733.jpg
    photo5733.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5734.jpg
    photo5734.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
I am a little late to this thread but I like the tents everyone is using. I opted for an Artic Oven AO12 with the vestibule. I have used it in Idaho on extended trips and have nothing but good things to say about the product. I have options for both wood heat or propane. At 12x12 and 80 pounds total it is a little to heavy for a canoeing tent. A smaller, lighter, canoe tripping tent is in my future for 2017. It will need to be big enough for two people and a medium sized dog. Here is a photo of the AO in Idaho.

One of the warmest if not the warmest tent made, and one of the sturdiest!! We use to have one, a 10x10 extreme, but it was to big and heavy for the usable floor space available. Ours was pre-vestibule, and when we got our kid, it was to awkward to fit every one with out taking a chance to burn a sleeping bag on the stove at night! But man they are good tents!!

When I bought it I bought everything including the footprint (which is a very thick sturdy vinyl), the floor saver, an extra 3" stove jack (attaches with Velcro over the original 4" stove jack), extra tie down stakes, and a Two Dog wood stove. I used the wood stove for a three week trip and got tired of the mess and having to wake up in the middle of the night to add wood, so I bought a Nu-way propane stove and two composite tanks. I have used it in temps where it was 0 degrees at night and I was amazed at how warm it stays. I paid a healthy price but for me it was buy once cry once. The interior is made of Vapex which does an incredible job of letting moisture out but keeping heat in. I bought this one in early 2014 and have spent probably 5 weeks total in it so far. I highly recommend this tent for use in extreme cold. The floor is 12'4" square and the vestibule is humongous as well.

I have been looking hard at the new Artic Oven "Quest" for a canoeing tent. I just don't know how big a tent one needs when tripping. I have a CCS 10 x 14 tarp already.

Last edited:
When I bought it I bought everything including the footprint (which is a very thick sturdy vinyl), the floor saver, an extra 3" stove jack (attaches with Velcro over the original 4" stove jack), extra tie down stakes, and a Two Dog wood stove. I used the wood stove for a three week trip and got tired of the mess and having to wake up in the middle of the night to add wood, so I bought a Nu-way propane stove and two composite tanks. I have used it in temps where it was 0 degrees at night and I was amazed at how warm it stays. I paid a healthy price but for me it was buy once cry once. The interior is made of Vapex which does an incredible job of letting moisture out but keeping heat in. I bought this one in early 2014 and have spent probably 5 weeks total in it so far. I highly recommend this tent for use in extreme cold. The floor is 12'4" square and the vestibule is humongous as well.

I have been looking hard at the new Artic Oven "Quest" for a canoeing tent. I just don't know how big a tent one needs when tripping. I have a CCS 10 x 14 tarp already.

We had ours, 10x10 extreme, in -30C temps with 60-70 km/hr wind and it was tasty warm inside and super steady in that wind!! Great tent, really well made! But really heavy and bulky!! I'm happy with my SnowTrekker EXP short wall 9x11.5 and we use it all year around other than the warmest months of the summer! Bring it often on canoe trip!

I want a tent with a floor so that rules out the SnowTrekker line for me.

The wood stove I used in 2014 is a 'two dog" stove by the Three Dog stove company. Airtight and really puts out the heat. It ran me out of the tent until I learned how to use it lol.

Last edited:
I want a tent with a floor so that rules out the SnowTrekker line for me.

The wood stove I used in 2014 is a 'two dog" stove by the Three Dog stove company. Airtight and really puts out the heat. It ran me out of the tent until I learned how to use it lol.

I'm the opposite, I can't stand floors in winter tents( that type of tents since we don't use it only in the winter lol).

Just read on Snowtrekking.com, that ATUK will now be able t offer tents in a 7oz Sunforger canvas.... That should be a good addition to his fabric line... Now if he could only get rid of using that "tarpaulin" material on his seems and as sod cloth!!

Back