• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

WTB SnowTrekker 8x10 Basecamp and Stove or Similar

Reaction score
Just starting to look into a winter wall tent setup with a stove.
So far my favorite is the SnowTrekker 8x10 Basecamp. It would only need to fit 2 people.
Please share if you have something to offer. Thanks.

ST is certainly the gold standard for that sort of winter tent. Check out Life in the Round & Kanguk (Canadian) for other true winter style canvas tents and if you have the interest some of the tipi style nylon tents from SeekOutside, Kifaru and others.

If you are willing to source your own pole set, others like Panther Primitives, Tentsmiths, Beckel Canvas (and others) are good choices for custom made canvas wall and other style tents for off season usage.

If you are not a member already, "WinterTrekking" forum site is highly recommended and quite a few here on CanoeTripping are members there as well.

Snow Trekkers are very nice, but way out of my price range. I learned to sew and cut down a cheap 8x10 wall tent.and made a DIY interior frame. It fits on a toboggan with my cut down wood stove for a solo outfit. I'm too old to pull sleds anymore but it worked back in the day. I pulled this in for a solo camp..

Food for thought

ST is certainly the gold standard for that sort of winter tent. Check out Life in the Round & Kanguk (Canadian) for other true winter style canvas tents and if you have the interest some of the tipi style nylon tents from SeekOutside, Kifaru and others.

If you are willing to source your own pole set, others like Panther Primitives, Tentsmiths, Beckel Canvas (and others) are good choices for custom made canvas wall and other style tents for off season usage.

If you are not a member already, "WinterTrekking" forum site is highly recommended and quite a few here on CanoeTripping are members there as well.

thx for the info. There sure are plenty of options.

Snow Trekkers are very nice, but way out of my price range. I learned to sew and cut down a cheap 8x10 wall tent.and made a DIY interior frame. It fits on a toboggan with my cut down wood stove for a solo outfit. I'm too old to pull sleds anymore but it worked back in the day. I pulled this in for a solo camp..
Food for thought

That is exactly what I'd like to go for, motivated by your videos and J. Kelly and Derek from the Woodsman School and Guide Service.
I'm not afraid to sew or DIY but I've never even been in one of those tents so hesitate to start making my own moves. I'm in my early 30's so have plenty of time to pull sled, it'll keep me fit for portaging canoe : )

I have a nylon Kifaru 4 man tipi with a small stove that weighs 14 lbs. total. The issues I have with it are that it needs a lot of stakes and has a large footprint. If the weight isn't a factor I would go with the canvas snow trekker.

Thats an interesting photo, the tent appears to be only slightly bigger than a dog house with that big tree and sled in the forground.

Here's another picture, I'm 6' I think the tent is 54" or so. I plan to spend a week in it starting Thursday night, Lows Lake, NY Adirondacks.

No Title

You can actually make a decent lightweight tent without giving up headroom or space. I've made a couple with urethane-coated nylon walls and a canvas roof. Poles can be made from conduit if you have someone to braze or mig them up, Mine are 1" conduit cut in 2 1/2' sections with 3/4 conduit for the ferrules. Even the "t" joints can be made out of the conduit- Take about a 10" section of 1" cut a 1" semicircle in the centre for the legs, bend it over short section of 1" (for the ridgepole) to the desired angle and weld in place. Easiest way to get the angle for the legs is to string up the tent, pull out the sides and stake them. Lay the legs in their normal position against the tent, and line up the tee with the legs. now you simply bend the legs of the tee down to match the poles, remove the tee and tack it- if the fit is good, finish weld it, if it's out simply cut the tacks, adjust you tee and retack, and weld it.
My 9x12 weighs in at about 25lbs and another 7 for the poles

Attachments

• photo624.jpg
    photo624.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 0
I know a ST is pricey, but they are very well made and easy to set up. I really like mine.

They come up for sale used on various forums and CL/Kijji now and then. They hold a fair amount of value and are usually in the 800 to 1000 range.

I bought an Atuk Kanguk last year. Here's a pic.

If I had been thinking properly, I would have saved the extra thousand for the Snowtrekker. Can't beat the ease of set-up. The Kanguk has the stove pipe up the centre by the centre post. This takes up a lot of usable room, plus makes it kind of risky coming into the tent if you've had one bud light too many. If you are going to spend a lot of time in the tent, a self supporting structure like the Snowtrekker gives you a lot more liveable space. Learning to get a good set up with the Kanguk is tough too.

On the plus side, it's half the price, very durable and light. It rained on me like cats and dogs out moose hunting last weekend, and the Kanguk didn't leak. Also, it sheds wind very well, as we had gusts of 30 to 50 k blowing straight in at the tent, and it barely moved. The kanguk also heats up very quickly, it can become a furnace if you don't control the damper carefully.

However, if i were to do it again, the snowtrekker would get my vote.

I bought an Atuk Kanguk last year. Here's a pic.

If I had been thinking properly, I would have saved the extra thousand for the Snowtrekker. Can't beat the ease of set-up. The Kanguk has the stove pipe up the centre by the centre post. This takes up a lot of usable room, plus makes it kind of risky coming into the tent if you've had one bud light too many. If you are going to spend a lot of time in the tent, a self supporting structure like the Snowtrekker gives you a lot more liveable space. Learning to get a good set up with the Kanguk is tough too.

On the plus side, it's half the price, very durable and light. It rained on me like cats and dogs out moose hunting last weekend, and the Kanguk didn't leak. Also, it sheds wind very well, as we had gusts of 30 to 50 k blowing straight in at the tent, and it barely moved. The kanguk also heats up very quickly, it can become a furnace if you don't control the damper carefully.

However, if i were to do it again, the snowtrekker would get my vote.

I have to agree with mem, the real plus of the ST is the ease of set up, all but 15 minutes and you have the stove going(snowless condition!)
The price is a drag for sure especially u for us Canadian with our poor dollar, but you will buy only once!!

The winter camping symposium in Minnesota is likely a bit far for you to travel but there are often a couple for sale there.

Certainly worth putting a want ad. on Wintertrekking.

I wonder how much it would cost to build an internal frame for a Kanguk?

Panther Primitives makes 2 stock sizes of mini-wall tents, running about $500 including a stove jack...you'd have to make up your A-frame spiders and source some tubing but that would be a value end to the discussion...

Still looking.
I'll be heading up to Low's Lake area with some friends next weekend and hoping to find something to practice with before winter hits.
any offers?

Patience Green Frog (sorry couldn't resist the grasshopper reference) ;)

Hope one comes your way. will keep an eye out.

I just did a search and found these out in NE. We used to use these at summer camp in the Adirondacks. I emailed the seller to ask if they are interested in shipping to NJ and the shipping cost. I am interested in one and at $150 they are a deal. Let me know if you would be interested in one as well, maybe by shipping two, they may be more willing to ship if they would not consider it before.
https://omaha.craigslist.org/spo/5797610136.html

T
here is this one on Ebay as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANVAS-WALL...310044?hash=item3d26d2201c:g:61gAAOSwMtxXt3iF

Last edited:
Back