• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

worthless cell phones

Reaction score
I was out today, and before i left, the weather report was 'Clear & Sunny'. I had canoed 4 miles when i looked back and saw black clouds heading my way. And of course, thats the direction i have to go to get back. Pulled out my cell phone to check radar to see how big this storm is. Get a message 'Your browser isnt working properly, please try again later'. I turned around and headed back. Made it back OK, and after I got the canoe loaded-up, it stormed pretty bad. Did get a little humor while paddling like a mad-man, phone rings, i answer it... 'Hello, this is Pete from Marriot Hotels calling to offer you special rates tonight only.' I told the guy I'd rather spend the night stranded out in the wilderness in the storm..........

A good portion of my incoming cell calls were wrong numbers, even text messages. Some of them continuing wrong messages even after I'd texted or talked to them explaining the wrong number nonsense. Some young lady demanding that Sheila (I?) return her gossip filled messages, and are we still going out on Friday? . Some young man insisting Brian (I?) commit to paying my share of the concert tickets and then meet up for beers. Some older guy getting steamed because the concrete truck was late (me again?). The only relief came when my cell phone decided to make a hasty escape from my pocket in a snowy parking lot. I haven't had a cell phone since, nor any wrong numbers, and no more sales reps calling me in the middle of a job while 30' up a scaffold. That was about 5 years ago, and I only miss my cell phone some days. My family and friends and customers can't believe how I've managed without a cell phone. Trust me, some days I feel vulnerable and naked without my e-lifeline, but most days I just feel undistracted and unattached. Want to call me? Sure, no problem. Call my home/office land line and leave a message. I may get back to you.

Brad, I can relate. I do have a cell phone, pay as I go type but only due to the lengthy commute to work in the city for Wintertime. Christy doesn't own one. I generally turn it on once a month to add time, lest I lose what I have on it, so, last update brought me up to $273 of available air time (accumulated over almost 2 years now). To take a step or two further, we have desktop computers that are hard wired, the wifi is disabled in the house. Leave a message on the machine and we will get back to you eventually. I check my e-mail maybe once a week.

Nothing wrong with cell phones, you can use them any way you'd like. I've looked at going back to a landline but the monthly cost really isn't any different and I'm hardly ever at home so a cell phone works much better, especially when traveling. Cell over landline is a no brainer to me. I still use an old flip phone so no data or internet for me, just talk and text. I probably get a phone call once every day or two. If I don't want to be disturbed I turn it off.

Alan

Ha Ha. That's funny - cause my day gig is in readymix.

So can you call ReadyMix for me and explain that Sheila ran off with Brian in the concrete truck.
Now that the cell rates are promising/threatening to rise (again) I'm not missing my old phone so much. I can't imagine feeling the need for one on a canoe trip, but different people have different circumstances. Family and issues can make it hard to be out of touch sometimes. One summer my wife and I emerged from Algonquin after a week of paddling peace and quiet to catch up on a nightmare of bad news. If we'd been connected we would have dropped everything and been there. I understand the fear people have of being out of touch, out of reach, but I also grew up in the old days when that was considered normal. On a buddy deep sea fishing trip one summer out of Hatteras one of the guys had a cell phone glued to his ear for the entire time. Well, not the entire time, because we convinced him to leave it behind while out in the Gulf Stream. He was/is a businessman with many irons in the fire. After we came into port with our catch of Mahi mahi and tuna he "had a lot of catching up to do." I'd thought that was in fact what the fishing trip was all about.

At least your business man friend was doing something productive with it. For a great number of people, the smart phone is just a huge time waster that they can't look away from.

My job requires me to be on call much of the time. When I have an oopportunity to turn off the phone for a while, I do.

But the real question regarding the OP is - you have weather reporting that is more accurate than just looking out the window? Must be nice.

My Darling Bride has one of those!! Worthless cell phone, that is.

MDB and I both have smart phones, mostly to stay in touch with our tenants, subcontractors and vendors (I'm sort of retired with 28 bosses).
This past weekend, MDB brought her phone to the ADK's, knowing that service may or may not not exist there, she uses it to take videos.
Well, as fate would have it, she swamped her boat at one of the many beaver dams we traversed...sure, everyone's a comedian until they dunk their phone.
So the phone has been sitting in silica flakes since Sunday and still no signs of life.
Oh well, I suppose we add the $200 or $300 to the cost of the long weekend, but some of the texts are irreplaceable. I told her to back up often!
Or better yet, leave the stinkin' thing in the car, my DSLR does a fine job of fortifying our memories.
When I organize a guy trip, rules are no crying and no cell phones!

I wouldn't want to go back to the days without cell phones. On the upside you may still be able to go for a paddle even though you are expecting an important call. I live 6 miles from the nearest store so it is convienient to call the wife to see if she needs something if I stop at the store. On the downside if I stop at the store and don't call her I get an arse chewing.

There is no service where I do my tripping but I would feel much safer if there was, especially when solo.

I use the compass function on my smart phone more than I ever used a compass but it can't be counted on. Last winter back in Pa. I took a hike to a nearby swamp where the old guy whos cottage I bought reportedly had a tree stand that he shot a buck out of 45 years straight. It was supposed to be 60 feet high so I didn't think I'd have a problem identifying it. I took a compass bearing when I entered the swamp so I would know which way was out but I was unable to get the darn phone to turn on again. I got turned around and wasn't sure how to get back, it was in the single digits and I had broken through the ice but my feet stayed dry. I was concerned that if I got wet feet and had to spend the night out I could have gotten frostbite and lost a foot. Luckily I found my way out and made my first stop the ATT store where the girl re booted it in ten seconds by holding down the two buttons that can be used to turn it on at the same time.

I never thought I would like a "smart cell phone" but I do and it's not for the phone part. Here are my top 3 reasons I like my smart phone:

I have the Memory Map App on it and have several northeast states USGS 1:24000 topo maps on the phone. From my computer I can plan and export way points, trips, campsites etc. The app makes my phone a GPS unit (no internet or phone connection required) and it has yet to "fail" me (I always travel with a paper map and compass for backup). With the phone I can track my progress, search water bodies, town names, mark way-points, and use the "go to" feature as well. When I put the phone on "airplane mode" I get at least 2 - 4 days of battery use out of the phone, especially if I turn it off at night. On longer trips I pack a "juice box" to recharge it.

I have Audible Books on my phone which I enjoy listening to at night especially on my solo winter trips. The App has a "snooze" mode so you can set it to turn off after 30 or 60 mins of listening while you drift off to sleep.

I also have a Deeper fish-finder which connects to my phone via the Deeper....yup....App. The Deeper fish-finder is the size of a tennis ball and is wireless connecting to your smart phone by Bluetooth. I just picked this up this spring and have only used it a couple of times but it works well. It seems to provide all the basic "fish finder" information one would expect from a fixed to the bottom of the boat hardwired fish-finder. The nice thing about the Deeper is you clip it to the end of your fishing line and cast it out towards shore or wherever and while you reel it in it records the contour/depth of the area, water temp, fish, etc of the area. You can also drag it behind you while you paddle your canoe.

I purposely turn my cell phone to Airplane mode on a trip but most of my trips are out of cell service range anyways and that's why I have and use a SPOT device.

I too use my smartphone in the woods. I do have maps loaded but rarely use them, mostly, it stays on Airplane mode and acts as my camera.

Jason

Plant and animal guides (apps), first aid guides, star guides - sure better than carry books. Photos and videos when not hauling a heavier camera.

Lots of uses other than as a phone or text device. Airplane mode solves that issue if you don't want a disturbance.

Certainly a personal choice... Like any other tool you chose to carry or not carry... (And if you protect it, like a camera or map they don't turn into a dead paperweight if they get wet.)

Bioguide: thanks for mentioning memory map app. I'll have to check that out.

Smartphones are useful in some situations. I have a mapping app so the GPS can tell me where I am in respect to the rest of the trail up the mountains
More and more trippers in remote regions are downloading maps to use on the trip. Cell service is not required
I find the phone less useful as a phone and more of an on the go computer
We can plan fuel stops in unpopulated areas and find car campgrounds and decent places to eat
The OP's mistake was to rely on information given by others and not watching the sky
Where I live it's not possible ever to have one consistent forecast ( in the lee of the White Mountains) and errant pop up thunderstorms are frequent. So we always watch our own weather
It wasn't the cell phones fault. You might consider not answering numbers that you don't recognize. My husband however is always running to answer the cell phone. A holdover of black rotary phone days prior to answering machines
At least he has got over the idea long distance calls should be made nights and weekends Though the 9 pm cutoff is sacred
We dumped our landline. Our cell is cheaper
I can't imagine depending on any sort of weather forecast where we've taken our canoe trips. Even Environment Canada or NOAA is often too far away to give a relevant forecast or there is no coverage at all
One blessing of cell phone. That dam witch Rachel of Card Services has ceased dogging us
With the landline it was six or seven times a day. And they disregarded the Do Not Call list we were on

Last edited:
Back