• Happy National Apple Pie Day! 🍎🥧😋

Worst State in the US for Canoeing

PA does have lots of moving/white water paddling-not my cup of tea. I like paddles that don't need shuttles-lots of them in WNY and the ADKs.

We were in Page on Lake Powell and took
a tour boat ride in 2016
The lake is down 30 feet and bathtub rings and steep sides
We were told it was not expected to ever recover
Too many downstream demands
Even the raft trips are meh below Glen Canyon Dam
Took that potential paddling trip out of the bucket

PA does not require registration of canoes, AFAIK, but it does have that crazy permit system before you can paddle on anything close to being public waters. Its just a hassle to be sure you get it, or risk a violation. Say what you will about NY and its taxes, but the outdoors is relatively free to use anywhere on publicly owned lands by anyone at anytime.

Again, off topic but wanted to clarify: Un-powered boats like canoes and kayaks do not need registered or need launch permits in PA unless they are used in State Parks or used on lakes or launches that are maintained by the Fish & Boat Commission. In my experience, almost all F&B launches are those that can accommodate power boats. Launch anywhere else (public parks abound along most rivers) and you're fine w/o a permit. As noted above, many trips are made easier by using shuttles but they're pretty prevalent also.

The worse thing about the Pa registration is the ugly billboard number decal you have to put on your canoe. I don't object to the user fees unless they restrict my freedom.

I’ll have to check out the Gila Box area and the Riparian Conservation Area. Even without adequate flows it looks like an interesting area to visit. BLM land, so it appears that primitive camping is allowed in undeveloped areas (outside the riparian zone).

I make it a point to stop there every trip. The Gila River and Bonita Creek flow 365 days/year and the confluence is in Gila Box. They both have shorelines lined with cottonwood and sycamore. In winter they're not leafed out but show an attractive green haze contrasted against the high desert scrub. Old off road/mining trails are present on the high ground with a couple long steep "roads" leading down to Bonita Creek in more remote areas. Last time I was down there a couple years ago I drove back to the trailhead of the old Safford/Morinci trails and hiked down a beautiful gently flowing canyon to its confluence with Bonita creek. Multiple other canyons discharge in the vicinity and the overlapping deltas make for a very wide flood plain filled with cottonwood, sycamore, and willow (and rocks). Was surprised to find an impressive beaver pond complex in the middle of the desert. Spent a couple days there exploring some of the side canyons before hiking back out. Looking forward to going back for more.

20170216_107_1 by Alan, on Flickr

20170216_109 by Alan, on Flickr

20170217_140_1 by

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7935459@N05/33044731825/in/album-72157680625951145/

20170217_164 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

We were in Page on Lake Powell and took
a tour boat ride in 2016
The lake is down 30 feet and bathtub rings and steep sides
We were told it was not expected to ever recover
Too many downstream demands
Even the raft trips are meh below Glen Canyon Dam
Took that potential paddling trip out of the bucket

Well that blows horse snot.

Just judging by the photos I will make a point to stop there next time. There is something special about riparian streams in the desert.

OK. Alan, you and others have persuaded me to look into this one.

EDIT: The Gila River

The Glen Canyon dam could be removed wirhout serious consequences. It was built in the hayday of useless projects, primarily to preserve water rights for AZ.

Back when I was in college at NAU, the mantra was for removal.

Last edited:
Back