• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Nahmakanta Lake and Stream from Pemadumcook

Reaction score
This past 4th of July weekend I headed up to the Millinocket, Maine area for a short canoe trip. All my trips seem to be short these days, but I take what I can get. This trip had the advantage of being relatively close, just 80 miles from my house, all on paved roads, about an hour and a half of driving. I planned to get an early start Friday morning, but some drama at home with our new kitten kept me up late (fyi, the vet emergency room is open 24x365 despite Covid), so my early start became a mid-morning start, and a put-in around noon.

Spencer Cove is cottage country, motorboats and second homes of all descriptions, so I loaded up my boat and got on my way as quickly as possible. No pictures. Bass boats and plastic swim docks look the same everywhere.

My plan was to paddle/portage to Nahmakanta Lake via Ambajejus, Pemadumcook, 3rd and 4th Debsconeags, then descend Nahmakanta Stream back to Pemadumcook and return. I'd never been to Nahmakanta and wanted to see it. Of course you can drive there, but I wanted to get there on my own steam. I took my royalex Wilderness since I anticipated some rock painting on the way down the stream.

My route took me across Ambajejus Lake (some say Come-to-Jesus Lake) and along the north shore of Pemadumcook. Soon after crossing the thoroughfare to the bigger lake I paddled by this pleasant little sandy peninsula, and since I hadn't had lunch I stopped for a snack. I'm still not in the wilderness, but I'm starting to get the feeling.

DSCF0285scaled.JPG

Pemadumcook is a big lake, roughly 8 miles long and 1.5 miles wide, so it doesn't take much of a breeze to make some waves, and motorboat wakes also add to the fun. Fortunately there are periodic boulders in the water near shore, so when I got tired of the waves I could duck behind one to get a drink and take a break.

On that day the wind was in the southeast, so while heading west I had a quartering tailwind, and as I got further down the lake the swells were high enough that I had to pay attention. I hate following seas. In a solo boat I usually paddle with a carbon bent shaft (Zav or GRB), but I recently picked up a Werner Journey (straight/symmetric) in glass, and it was just right for surfing down the lake.

Further along the lake I passed a camp at a point, and a friendly chap fishing asked me if I was camping and where I was going. "Prolly 3rd Debsconeag", I replied. He nodded and said "Good luck!", which reminded me that I was getting a late start on a holiday weekend and finding a campsite might require some creativity. Oh well, something always turns up.

DSCF0286scaled.JPG

Soon enough I arrived at the landing/camp which marks the start of the portage trail to 3rd Debsconeag. I've done the 3-2-1 Debsconeag / Penobscot loop a couple of times, so I knew where it was, which is good because there wasn't a sign. My recollection is that there was a sign the last time I was there, September 2018, but maybe the lake ice got it.

While there wasn't a sign for the portage, there was this very handsome sign marking the start of the camp's private picnic area. Looks vaguely Winnie the Pooh to me. Much more pleasant (and perhaps more effective?) than the usual No Tresspassing, FO!

DSCF0289scaled.JPG

The carry to 3rd Debsconeag is about a mile, mostly on logging roads. I'd packed fairly light, so I battened everything down and single carried it. I don't mind double carrying on a nice trail, and on a rough trail it may be necessary, but I hate to walk a boring road three times. I'm getting a little old for single carries with royalex, but you know, use it or lose it.

The put-in on 3rd Debsconeag is in a shallow cove. There's actually a fancy dock with a bright yellow sign, although I didn't notice it until I was on the water. The dock seems oddly high, maybe the tide was out.

DSCF0290scaled.JPGDSCF0292scaled.JPG

Once on the main body of 3rd Debsconeag I could see that the campsite at the eastern end was occupied, and that's the only official campsite on the lake. That was my Plan A, but I wasn't too concerned as I had a couple of ideas for "undesignated" sites. I continued to paddle west. With less fetch, that southeast wind was now all gravy, and I had a nice view of Katahdin on my right.

DSCF0295scaled.JPG

I took the picture below near the western end of 3rd Debsconeag, and it really illustrates why it can be so hard to find a campsite in this kind of terrain. Apparently some strong wind caught a grove of trees along the shore and blew them over en masse. The boulders exposed are uncommonly bright since they haven't had much time in the open to accumulate moss and bird bombs. The "land" here is basically stacked boulders with a few quarts of mud in between. Reminds me of the old saying, Maine is a great place for farming, assuming you're trying to grow rocks. Ohio may not be great paddling, but it has plenty of dirt.

DSCF0298scaled.JPG

There's a shallow cove in the southwest corner of 3rd Debsconeag, and this rough dock and sign on the north side marked the start of the portage trail to 4th Deb. At least this was the case in July 2020. When I was in the same place in September 2019 the portage trail was clearly marked on the south side of the cove. Go figure. I guess there are two trails, and one was closed for some reason? Deerflies were on strike? Anyway, when I was there a couple weeks ago the portage trail was on the north side of the connecting stream, but if you find it on the south side next year, don't be surprised. While I'm thinking about it, thanks to The Nature Conservancy for conserving this land and providing nice portage signs.

The dock was composed of about 1/3 new boards, 1/3 old boards, and 1/3 missing boards, but the mud in the cove looked nasty so I was glad it was there.

DSCF0299scaled.JPG

As I pulled out on the dock it was about 4pm, still several hours of daylight left, but I'm starting to think about a campsite. I know there are two official campsites on 2nd Deb, so that would be an option if I want to backtrack. I've never been to 4th Deb and according to the map it has no official campsites. The start of the trail looked pretty rough, so I decided to bring just my pack across the carry to 4th Deb. I figured I still had time to backtrack if need be, but backtracking with the boat would be demoralizing.

The trail was indeed rough and bushy in places, but it was easy to follow and I could tell it had seen some recent maintenance where a few large blowdowns were cut to allow passage. Although it was a very stumbly walk, rocks and roots, the scenery was pleasant -- the perfect trail for a double carry. My map showed this trail as 0.4 miles, but it was slow for that distance.

When I got to 4th deb, I immediately decided I wanted to camp there. The cove at the end of the trail had an accumulation of dry-ki, forming an open area that was almost a natural deck above the clear water.

DSCF0305scaled.JPG

Pleasant as they were, I couldn't really make camp on dry logs, so I looked around for a suitable site. A small gravel beach on the other side of the "deck" made a nice place to cook dinner, but it wasn't a tent pad. A few rock hops led to a trail south of the gravel beach (end of the other portage trail?), and a few yards into the woods and up the hillside I found a curiously flat spot. The arrangement of the rocks around it makes me think it was once the cellar of a small building. Anyhow, it was nice and flat, no obvious widowmakers. Kitchen plus bedroom equals campsite.

DSCF0300scaled.JPG
DSCF0322scaled.JPG

Although there's a reasonably civilized Chewonki camp at the other end of the lake, I didn't see any people or smoke from fires that evening on 4th lake. However, this bullfrog was my constant companion, always in the shallow water next to the gravel beach, sometimes making a small splash that sounded larger in the calm. Closer than 6', if I come down with Covid I'll put him on the list.

DSCF0309scaled.JPG

Couldn't get enough of this cove in 4th Deb, just a shoreline in the pre-sunset light.

DSCF0316scaled.JPG

[Split into 2 parts because I went a bit picture happy ... second half tomorrow.]

Attachments

• DSCF0289scaled.JPG
    DSCF0289scaled.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 0
Very interesting trip report and pictorial, goonstroke. Look forward to chapter 2.

As for this only available tent site . . .

. . . a few yards into the woods and up the hillside I found a curiously flat spot. The arrangement of the rocks around it makes me think it was once the cellar of a small building.

CEc1kuI.jpg

. . . if it had rained, it might have become the swimming pool of a small building.

Very interesting trip report and pictorial, goonstroke. Look forward to chapter 2.

As for this only available tent site . . .

. . . if it had rained, it might have become the swimming pool of a small building.

Yeah, definitely a fair weather tent pad. I could have used some rain the next day though, might have been a fair trade.

In the morning I packed up and made my way across the lake to the landing, only about a mile of paddling. Here I am getting my stuff together for a 1.7 mile single carry to Nahmahanta.

DSCF0329scaled.JPG

Nearly all of the portage from 4th Deb to Nahmakanta is on a driveable road, so I wasn't very excited about it. These lakes are only 1.0 miles apart by the natural route, but alas, there is no real portage trail so it's either walk the road or bushwhack. One good way to procrastinate on an unpleasant portage is to take pictures of other people's fishing boats. I didn't see these guys, but they must have been nearby as their gear was out loose in the boat. Is Twisted Tea the secret to fishing success?

DSCF0328scaled.JPG

The carry is uneventful, and soon I'm stopping for a snack along Nahmakanta Stream. For the last quarter mile to the lake access I have my choice of more road or the Appalachian Trail, so I take the trail. In true AT form, it finds a little ridge to go over -- pointless up and down (PUD), always. A family is going the other way and they kindly let me pass, the dad explaining to the kids that you should always yield to people with boats on their heads.

DSCF0332scaled.JPG

I don't really have any business on Nahmakanta Lake, I just wanted to see it, and indeed it looks quite pleasant. I could camp there, but it's the 4th of July and I figure the campsites -- all fairly easily accessible -- will be full. My plan is to find a rough campsite along Nahmakanta stream, or if that doesn't work to camp somewhere along the AT, which runs parallel on stream right.

Before moving on I explore the outlet area of the lake, partly for the scenery but also to gauge the streamflow. I figure I'm going to be wading, but it's summer and I'm game for that.

DSCF0340scaled.JPGDSCF0341scaled.JPG

A long-disused logging road that ends in these bushes would have shortened my portage by half a mile, but it looked pretty thick at both ends.

DSCF0342scaled.JPG

After my brief introduction to Nahmakanta Lake, I'm ready to head downstream. The AT and then a side trail take me to this pleasant spot on a pool below the exit rapids. Portage over, time to start paddling again! It was nice while it lasted -- about 400 yards.

DSCF0344scaled.JPG

Rocks. I was expecting rocks, and low water, and dragging, but really it was pretty nasty even given that I was primed for a slog. The slog exceeded expectations. (The book says "a short but enjoyable run in May" -- well, July is not May.)

DSCF0348scaled.JPG

There are levels of difficulty with low water canoe travel -- do I sometimes have to step out of the boat? do I have to lift over a few things? Much of the way down Nahmakanta Stream there was just not enough water to float even an empty boat. There was some flow, but it weaved among the boulders. There would sometimes be a pool between rock gardens and 50 yards of respite, but generally it sucked. In one such pool I saw this beaver. The local beavers should have their permits revoked, they're not doing jack to keep this stream navigable.

DSCF0355croppedscaled.JPG

The scenery is lovely, but after a few hours I'm just tired of rocks. At some point the rocks are joined by this huge blowdown of several trees. In the center of the picture downstream the main flow is going right under the trees. I waded down there and investigated whether I could submarine through, but there were several afterstrainers and I didn't think it would work.

DSCF0360scaled.JPG

While I'm viewing this, pondering whether I should cut some branches, drag left, drag right, etc., a hiker on the AT -- only a few yards off the stream at this point, inquires as to whether I'm OK. I smile and say I'm fine -- I'm actually a dumbshit, but I'm not in any danger. That gets me thinking -- why am I dragging over these rocks when there's a posh 2000 mile federally designated portage trail right next door? I check it out and decide to carry on the trail for a while, at least past the current rapid. The takeout was awkward, but so was everything else. Soon I was heading down the trail with just my pack. I hiked until the stream reached a pool, which I'm estimating was about a mile. It would have taken me a long time to rock hop that mile. I passed some regular backpackers and they looked curiously at my portage pack, but I didn't explain. The image is a bit fuzzy with water on the lens, but the idea is white blaze and red canoe.

DSCF0360scaled.JPG

The AT along the stream was typically rocky and rooty, but it had few opportunities for PUD. I was glad to have it.

Back on the water, there were still several rocky sections that required extensive dragging, but I could tell the worst was over. The dry rocks eventually gave way to blowdowns and shoals, the sort of minor obstacles you get on most summer stream trips, call it low water difficulty Level 2. (Note that there were zero beaver dams -- the slackers.) Still, when I'm in it I don't really want to stop because I want to be done with that stream.

This blowdown was a pushunder on the right.

DSCF0360scaled.JPG

Side note on footgear, this trip I wore neoprene socks and trail runners for the stream travel (and tied my wool socks to a thwart -- adds class to a boat). That seemed to work pretty well, although I still had a number of bruises, like I'd played street soccer without shin guards. Oh well.

The bends of lower Nahmakanta Stream had a few islands and gravel bars that would have worked nicely as improvised campsites, but by then I was starting to think about finishing the trip and heading home. There was also an official campsite (Nahmakanta Outlet), but I figured with AT and motorboat access it would be pretty worn out and/or crowded.

I could have camped here but I didn't. Maybe next time. Of course next time I'll wait for higher water, so maybe not.

DSCF0360scaled.JPG

Heading down the final miles of the stream I figure if I can get to the big lake by 5pm I'll have enough daylight to make Spencer Cove at a reasonable hour. I normally love to paddle at night, but I don't have any navigation lights and there are usually a lot of PBR-soaked party boats on Pemadumcook. It is Saturday, July 4th. Best not to press my luck.

I got to the lake right about 5pm. Just 10 miles of flatwater to Spencer Cove. The wind was again from the southeast, this time a quartering headwind, as my destination was roughly east. The waves were right at the threshold, not high enough that I wanted to wait them out, but high enough that I had to be paying attention. My bow would slap down hard every few waves, but as long as the angle was right I wouldn't pick up any water. It made me think of a Los Angeles freeway with moderate traffic, everybody is going 70 with a two car following distance. It works, but you can't relax.

When I got to Moose Island, a nice swimming spot, I decided to take a break and have a snack in anticipation of a late dinner. I also had to pump some water as I was entirely out and still had ~6 miles to go. I was glad I stopped, as the lake settled down a bit. Not sunset yet, but the sun was behind some clouds.

DSCF0360scaled.JPG

Speaking of dinner, there were no motorboats on the lake. I figured they were all in their cottages eating, but would come out for fireworks, sunset and PBR soon enough. My only real concern was getting across the thoroughfare to Burnt Island, as beyond that I would be able to stay close to islands and peninsulas away from any fast moving craft.

That went according to plan, and about the time I got to Burnt Island everyone finished dinner and got back on the water. Moreover, the fireworks started up as well, not waiting for darkness. There wasn't an official display, but these days the over-the-counter stuff can be pretty impressive.

The last mile and a half to the landing was along a more or less fully developed shoreline, islands and peninsulas with as many camps as could fit, probably more than could fit with current shoreland zoning. Normally I'm in a hurry to get out of that stuff, but that evening it was actually rather pleasant. Everyone was out on their decks for a look at the fireworks, waving hello and being in good spirits. On that note, I conclude with a picture of the sunset on Ambajejus, with Mt Katahdin at right and a party boat at center. I normally avoid photographing party boats, or really any boats that aren't canoes, but that evening the vibe was good.

DSCF0360scaled.JPG

My drive home was uneventful, and the kitten was and is doing fine.

I enjoyed the trip. I may do it again, but in May or after a good monsoon.

Good read and pictures! Thanks for letting us follow along, even the stream part of the trip looked good after being stuck at home for so long!

dougd

Thanks, good trip. I hope to get up there soon, lots of area to explore, your report helps get me moving, well, after I get finished with the endless "honey do" list here at the new to us homestead. :(

Nice report, goonstroke. I’m curious, though, about the meaning of the acronym “PBR.”

Really fine quality craft beer...not. Pabst Blue Ribbon.. Second cousin to dishwater.

I saw a bit of Ambajejus last Thursday for a long time. Cut a sidewall just coming off the Golden Road. sheesh.. 200 miles of running around logging roads and the tire goes flat 6 miles out of Millinocket. Could have been worse. The wheel seized up and we had to mallet it and bounce the car to get the tire changed..took an hour . Could have been on the Golden Road that lovely beach of a dustorm of a road. My new name for Ambajejus is Jaysus F in Christ.

Going back up in a couple of weeks to camp at Lower Jo Mary and poke around.

Nice TR.. the dock was put in in May.. you may have noticed a lack of recent water!:D Of course you have.. you live here.

Thanks for the boot tip TB, I have other NRS stuff but I didn't know they made a knee high water shoe.

YC, that Golden Road, was it built to sell tires, rims, struts or just air filters? Maybe the whole timber thing is a front. I've only had two Golden Road flats so far, but I think I've been lucky.

There's so much connected water in the "Trans Pemadumcook" area, and the access is so easy. Sure, none of it is pristine wilderness (except 2nd Deb), but all of it is pleasant and wild enough. A while back I scouted a rough portage from South Twin to Turkey Tail. Sometime I have to go back and do that, it would make a nice weekend loop. Of course this year with the low water there might be an extra 50 yards of mud. I'm ready for some rain.

YC, that Golden Road, was it built to sell tires, rims, struts or just air filters? Maybe the whole timber thing is a front. I've only had two Golden Road flats so far, but I think I've been lucky.
Oh I think the real income comes from tourists who think they can explore logging roads in something like a Prius and find out that they can't and worse their roadside assistance plan does not cover that area! Ka Ching.. Ka Ching

I know I got a sidewall cut about two inches long.. The head scratcher thing was that it was on pavement AFTER getting off dirt when you join up with the Baxter Rd. There were a couple short parts of the GR that were recently graded and I was careful about the sharp stones.

Oh the GR is handy for soap sales and is a detailers dream.. Silt in places the sun don't shine!

Great trip report Goonstroke and great pictures!! I have always been curious about Nahmankanta but the easy access has always deterred me from even trying. The stream travel was obviously a challenge...but in the end you got er done! The dock at 3rd Debsconeag when I last passed through that way had multiple aluminum boats that were mostly sunken. I didn't see any boats in your photo so they are probably all at a decent depth by now..lol. Going single carry from Pemadumcook to 3rd means that you were in beast mode!! Really enjoyed reading this trip report and following along some familiar terrain as you clearly navigated your way through a tough grind. Well done!

Back