• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Wood/Canvas or other

Thanks memaquay that is the Dacron one. Here is a picture from a 10 day solo in bwca. This was spring and the boat's first trip. This is the portage out of Hustler lake into Oyster for those who are familiar with the Western BWCA. The other shows the minor scratches that occur on the graphite/epoxy wear patch. There's a lot more now, I will take a pic the next time I have it outside. By the way in the previous pic you will see two canvas Frost River packs. In the relative world of weight, those are heavy..empty they weigh about 15lbs combined. I like the way they smell and sound though.

Cheers,
Barry

Canvas, or at least the finish, does scratch. First trip out with the Chestnut last year was a very low, rock strewn river and although I did get down to the filler in a couple of spots, that was it. A repaint this Spring will fix it although I am considering doing the football with shellac instead. Stem bands on this one are aluminum, came that way so I re-used them and painted them to match the boat.

This is from one day on the water. Christine holed her stripper on this trip.

At this point in my life I've never paddled a w/c canoe but would really love to own one.

My canoe lives in E Syracuse. I will be headed up to NY in October for a wedding, Columbus Day weekend, followed (hopefully) by a week in the Adirondacks. I would be happy to take my canoe out to a bit of local water and let you try it out before I head out.

These are pics of my 15 foot tripper being built for me ... I have 2 trips planned for her this year. It is a Chemaun, but is modified a bit ... so as to be slightly sleeker. She is still wide but this model has a bit more rocker. Anyway, I think I will like her for fishing, poling, general tripping. She should come in around 65 pounds. A little heavy for a 15 footer, but she does have half ribs.

" I am considering doing the football with shellac instead.", Mihun09 said. Perhaps you will find this picture useful.

She will have Cherry thwarts, yoke and seats. The seats will be babiche (SP?) as well.

I am still on the hunt for a wood canvas solo ... I may have to try Alex Comb's Traveler that Waterdog is interested in. By the way Barry, I love those pics of your Prospector ... keep posting them, goodness it is a sexy boat. I have done the port from Hustler to Oyster. If I recall, it is a bit of a doosy! Great fishing on Hustler for smallies and Northern ( my best ever at 42 inches on that lake) and Oyster is pretty good for smallies and lakers if I remember correctly.

Bob.

That indeed is a nice canoe. The half ribs I'm sure adds a few pounds. My 14 foot Chestnut came in at 57, so yours is actually good for 15.

Nice looking, those half ribs look impressive and make for a nice tripping canoe. Poling should be fun too. The way the decks, inwales and gunnels come together is beautiful and top notch craftsmanship. I'm struggling with that part right now on my Bob's restoration.

I like the look of shellac on the bottom, not sure I'm capable of getting good lines though. I need to read up on the process of laying the "football" out on the canvas.

Waterdog said about his canvas packs:".empty they weigh about 15lbs combined. I like the way they smell and sound though."

I can relate to that, they are heavier than synthetic but I'm a big fan of canvas packs also. Unlike me and my old Pal,, they look better after years of use.

Bob,

That's a great looking canoe. I like the green. I have a couple in green but they are royalex canoes. I look forward to hearing how the shellac scuff patch works. And the half ribs should reduce cracked planks over the life of the boat. I will be adding them to the prospector that is pictured someday and my next new build will have them too. The traditional babiche

Seeing that boat and our previous discussions about the Traveler, almost has me contacting Alex for a purchase order. But I'm barely able to contain myself through a high level of discipline (and lack of storage space). To reward myself I'm ordering a Frost River Jr size canvas canoe pack for daytrips with my dog and niece. That's how I'm going to pitch it to my wife when the package arrives at least. She buys chocolate to ease her soul, I buy tripping gear.

Cheers,
Barry

Back