• HAPPY INTERNATIONAL MUD DAY!

Wood canvas canoe gathering?

Reaction score
I too am going to back out of this idea of a gathering. We had to fill up on home heating oil and it was over a grand, usually around $600. The good news is we recently got solar power and our electric bill was $65. Some neighbors had $700 to 1100 bills (more than double) and they did nothing different from last year. I might get to the WCHA get together and it’s an opportunity to visit my daughter in Saranac Lake. I’ll be taking the Prius. But I am all in on a trip to the BWCA in September.
Jim

Reaction score
Is the invite open to anyone with WC canoe? Depending on when I complete my restoration… I would enjoy tagging along if that’s ok.
Cheers
DY

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the invite open to anyone with WC canoe? Depending on when I complete my restoration… I would enjoy tagging along if that’s ok.
Cheers
DY
This potential event doesn't have a clear organizer. Robin started the idea, but his last posts indicate indecision because of gas prices. As I understand the concept, it would be for wood-canvas canoes—owned, begged, borrowed or otherwise procured. Folks with more than one W/C canoe might be willing to haul and lend an extra to other interested members to try out.

It's a really good idea for a theme get-together. If Robin is still on the fence, maybe someone else would like to step up as the organizer. Someone has to make a final decision as to place and time.

Reaction score
Cheers
DY

Gas continues to rise, it was 4.19 here in Maine when I posted my doubts of coming in March (post 26 in this thread), now it’s close to or over $5.00 locally. I had mentioned I have an event I’m committed to in eastern Maine the following weekend, driving over to Paul Smiths in NY would have had to be a couple of days at most, not enough to justify the gas bill.
If anyone else has wants to try and organize something, feel free.

Reaction score
Gas continues to rise, it was 4.19 here in Maine when I posted my doubts of coming in March (post 26 in this thread), now it’s close to or over $5.00 locally. I had mentioned I have an event I’m committed to in eastern Maine the following weekend, driving over to Paul Smiths in NY would have had to be a couple of days at most, not enough to justify the gas bill.
If anyone else has wants to try and organize something, feel free.
No problem… stumbled upon the thread…totally understand.
DT

Reaction score
You've been doing some heavy lifting Robin, here and out and about, totally understand. But your idea remains a good one. It is on my wish list.
Whenever my son and I do eventually get his WC canoe back on the water regardless whether we make it to this gathering or not I swear we'll raise a jar to this wood and canvas life. Yours will be the first toast. Cheers man.

Reaction score
I will be at the WCHA Assembly but only for two days.. I am transporting canoes for sale/delivery and a bunch of paddles. A very dear friend of mine and a former excellent canoer and guide has been taken to a long term care facility as her mind declined severely recently. I have to dispose of some of her canoe stuff there. Gas is ridiculously expensive and I am grateful that my costs are covered for delivering a w/c boat to a buyer. Otherwise I would be staying home too. I will be mostly on the Green in the Tom Mackenzie section.