• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

Winter dreams, spring paddling

Reaction score
I haven't paddled much lately, ankle surgery last August has kept me out of boats, off bikes, and generally far too sedentary.But the doc gave me a green light last week, so I can start thinking/planning/dreaming of dipping a blade again into cool running water.

I started reading Calvin Rustrum's "North America Canoe Country" last night. Written in 1961, he describes in intoxicating detail wild rivers that course throughout Canada-just dotted lines on the map, where voyageurs may not have gone.

My paddling is far more meager than both Rustrum's accounts and many of you who post here. A few, few overnight trips in the Okeefenoke, similar length trips on the Shenandoah and Potomac, none of the really exciting and far flung waters where others go.

I started paddling after meeting a working buddy who had worked his college summers as a ww guide on WV's wild and wonderful rivers. We would R-2 his 16" personal Avon, tagging along behind the customer boats, hitting holes that they didn't want to, eating lunch left-overs after the paying customers had their fill. I'm willing to bet there is one rock on the Gauley that is still streaked with my fingernail impressions from my first big-water swim. This was the early 80's, before the Rt 19 bridge over the New River gorge was complete. One night, during a river guide's party, I remember driving out to the soaring, but not-yet-connected spans, and watching them climb the structure to the edge. Perhaps my slightly greater sobriety, or the understanding of physics from my engineering degree, prevented me from venturing out onto the steel. (And that, Brian Williams, is my story, I'm sticking to it.)

Canoeing came a little later. My first was a 15' Coleman, complete with aluminum pole through the keel and vertical connector post to the mid-thwart. I laced two inner tubes through that post, my first flotation. Unfortunately, my paddling wasn't good enough to not need that addition on Slippery Rock Creek, downstream of the dam. My first white water canoe adventure was a long carry back to the put-in after realizing I was in over my head-literally-many times...

Between then and now its been 30+ years of paddling in many different canoes and kayaks, but not nearly as often, and for as long, as I would like. I guess I'm in that huge category of intermediate, but I've probably got far fewer hours and many thousand fewer strokes than some of you. I've been lurking here for several months, joined last summer, and have only posted a few times. I thought it was time to officially say hello. I hope I haven't worn out my welcome by this introduction. Had we been around a camp-fire, I would have first offered good bourbon. And I will, if and when we get together.

dan

The pix is the nearly frozen Gunpowder River in Maryland, my "back-yard float." After reading Rustrum last night, I had to get out this morning and at least see it, drink coffee, and dream of paddles to come.

Attachments

• photo1623.jpg
    photo1623.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 0
What a fine introduction. Let me be the first to welcome you.

Dan,
Never let an injury stop you for long. In 2007 I broke my femur in a mule wreck. I was as good as any man in a canoe after a year, but it took several years more recovery to be any good at backpacking and hunting in steep country. Find some trips without portages and get out there.

Some injuries don't heal in a way that enables one to continue previous activities. I could brace my left ankle, which has been sprained many times (including twice on portages), but there's no way I'll play tennis. On the other hand, my separated shoulder is stronger than the normal one because of all the muscle-building work I've done with it.
Take your time, Dan, and be sure the ankle is strong.

Hi Dan, Welcome, I'm a big fan of Rutstrum also, his writing has helped me make it through many a cold winters day. I like the art work in his books also, probably why I have enjoyed wood canoes and canvas packs for my tripping style.

moose%20liver%20for%20breakfast.jpg

Welcome Dan. I'm ashamed to admit that the Gunpowder is about an hour north for me and I have never paddled it. Have to get up there this year.
Regards,
Dave

Welcome Dan,
Always nice to have some fresh company for our morning coffee conversations. Here in the mid-west the promise of the big Canoecopia event in Madison, WI is helping us through another cold snap. I am afraid the open water will all be gone by the weekend.

My thanks to those above who have taken a minute to welcome me. I appreciate that!

Obviously, this site is a "virtual" community. From reading many other posts here, it appears that some actually know each other in the real world, but I'm guessing that for many of the 500 or so of us, it's just an on-line acquaintance.

Virtual or otherwise, it feels to me like a good group of folks.

The act of being welcomed, when joining, is perhaps the virtual equivalent of paddling solo toward the approaching dusk, and coming upon a small group that has already stopped for the evening, set camp, and is relaxing around a crackling fire. Interested in some company, the solo paddler stops, approaches the group, and finds him or herself asked to join. The sitting logs or chairs are re-positioned to make a slightly larger circle around the fire, introductions exchanged, and a drink offered. A pleasant evening extends into night.

We may paddle together or go our own way the next day, but some friendship, and more appreciation of paddling, has been shared.

I'll try to make my posts and replies here worthy of being invited to the circle.

2 minor edits to my intro: 1) the Avon was a 16 foot raft, not 16 inches-the latter would have been difficult to paddle! 2) I mis-spelled Calvin Rutstrum's name. The paddling deities will get me for that one, I'm sure.

Dave, There are several sections of the Gunpowder Falls. Below Prettyboy Reservoir, its mostly a canoe stream, although above Falls Road there are a few tight ww drops. Below LochRaven reservoir, I believe its mostly a ww play spot (I haven't been on that section.) My opinion is that the river between the reservoirs is not much fun below 2' on the Parkton gauge. And, weekends in the summer have lots of tubers. Let me now if you want company, I enjoy paddling it.

Marten, great video!

Dan,
Glad you like it here, interesting to hear some of your story.
If ever you want to paddle the ADK's, and need advice, a few of us here can help you out, maybe share a few little known gems.

Hey Dan: Welcome. Another Marylander here is nice. The Gunpowder is only colder with lots more snow today. Hope to paddle w/ you this spring.

Back