• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wild Rice Burgers

Reaction score
Saw a post on Instagram the other day on a "daily special" from a restaurant in Grand Marais, MN for "Wild Rice Burgers".....I've seen them on the menu before at various restaurants up North, but never had one.....had plenty of soups and chowders though. The picture on Instagram looked pretty tasty.....I knew I still had some wild rice in the cupboard from my last trip up North so a quick query on the computer brought up several recipes for wild rice burgers....I picked one out and gave it a shot. Pretty easy really, the most difficult part was getting the "burgers" to hold their shape while placing them in the skillet. As they "browned", they kind of solidified and a gentle flip and they held together. It only took about 3 minutes a side. After they finished cooking. they were nice and firm and stayed together. I threw them on a bun with a little lettuce/tomato/mayo and they were quite tasty!

Mike

Attachments

• photo15660.jpg
    photo15660.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've got some lake rice in the pantry so I'll have to try that recipe.....sounds good!

As a kid,, I poled a canoe many miles in the rice beds to make a few bucks.

I also picked a lot of wild rice growing up in Minnesota. Prior to the advent of a non-shattering "tamed wild rice" farmed paddy rice, a couple of people in a canoe could make a bunch of money picking rice. Buyers would be lined up at wild rice lake landings outbidding each other for buying rights. All of my college education was paid for from picking wild rice and the GI Bill.
My mother mixed left over cooked wild rice with sourdough hot cake batter for tasty flapjacks. Also mixed it into wonderful omelets. The last time I picked wild rice was the in 1973, a friend and I picked 253 pounds of finished ready to cook wild rice from Big Rice Lake between Virginia and Tower/Soudan on the way to Ely.

Saw a post on Instagram the other day on a "daily special" from a restaurant in Grand Marais, MN for "Wild Rice Burgers".....I've seen them on the menu before at various restaurants up North, but never had one.....had plenty of soups and chowders though. The picture on Instagram looked pretty tasty.....I knew I still had some wild rice in the cupboard from my last trip up North so a quick query on the computer brought up several recipes for wild rice burgers....I picked one out and gave it a shot. Pretty easy really, the most difficult part was getting the "burgers" to hold their shape while placing them in the skillet. As they "browned", they kind of solidified and a gentle flip and they held together. It only took about 3 minutes a side. After they finished cooking. they were nice and firm and stayed together. I threw them on a bun with a little lettuce/tomato/mayo and they were quite tasty!

Mike

Did the recipe call for egg yoke as a binder ?

Well that's a lot of rice in that burger. I could skip the Metamucil if I ate one of those. I'd be tempted to use a little less rice, and add a smidge of smoked jalapeño relish. Either way, looks very tasty.

Last edited:
They look good to me. I like to make veggie burgers. Sometimes with black beans, sometimes with lentils, sometimes with other chopped up veggies. They freeze well and are much better than store bought veggie burgers. I'd like to try using wild rice.

Back