• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Widgeon Creek & Marsh / Pitt Lake

Reaction score
This is a well known paddling route off Pitt lake. Technically it is a tributary of the lower Pitt river, but as it is literally at the mouth of the lake, most people regard the entrance as being on Pitt lake.

Anyway, I prefer to get into the quiet areas where people don't go as this is a fairly popular canoe camping area, and the main creek can get too busy for my tastes. Luckily there is a lot of marsh and backwater creeks that one can get into and not see another boat for days. That's exactly what I did.

The day was hot, clear, and beautiful. The water is crystal-clear, warm enough for a quick dip, and one of the nicest paddles around. I was originally planning an over-nighter but it didn't work out and I settled for a still-excellent day trip.

I even managed to have a deep and meaningful conversation with a bear on one of the backwaters. This resulted in some decent pics and some excellent video of the bruin going about his business. The conversation basically addressed the fact that we were only 50 feet apart, were both a little astonished, and neither of us wanted any trouble. With that out of the way, he agreed to a few pics and video, and I agreed to stay on my side of the stream and not interfere with his foraging. After a few minutes he gave me one last look, I thanked him for his patience and he disappeared into the bush.

That being said, had it been a sow with cubs I would not have stuck around :)

Here's a few pics. I shot a lot of video too but have not had the time to edit it down yet.

widgeon5_zpsjdmqwwx0.jpg

widgeon7_zpss1ci9tqg.jpg

widgeon2_zps8zwfk4dy.jpg

widgeon1_zpsgijwa2zb.jpg

widgeon4_zpsyxablcf4.jpg

widgeon-bear1_zpsrskvt6we.jpg

widgeon-bear2_zpssi1uyebr.jpg

widgeon3_zpsifu3wbjt.jpg

widgeon2_zps8zwfk4dy.jpg

I love those mountains and that water. Sometimes overnight trips have a way of just happening, or unhappening. Nevertheless a day trip is worth it, especially with scenery like that. Thanks Rebel. And glad you and blackie came to an understanding.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, definitely a beautiful area with more wildlife than you can shake a stick at. Fortunately I did not have to shake a stick at his guy. Black bears are the least of my worries. It's the big cats I fear the most. Nasty buggers.

Back