• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Flack Lake Loop (Algoma Highlands)

Reaction score
Here is a report of a trip I did in early July 2021. I got thinking about it the other day and wanted to share it. The Algoma Highlands fly under the radar, relatively speaking, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it's an extra few hours from southern Ontario, but the beauty of lakes on this trip is off the charts, arguably more scenic than Algonquin. It is certainly much less busy. I encountered only one other party of canoeists on the 5-day trip. The trip can be extended to a week or more by heading further south on the loop into Lower Mace and Dunlop Lakes.

Very thorough, well written and photographed report, CanoeDaddy. I've never seen boats stashed high in trees before, and never heard of someone shattering their Nalgene water bottle and having to drink the rest of their trip out of a pail. The things that can happen out there!

never heard of someone shattering their Nalgene water bottle and having to drink the rest of their trip out of a pail.
Yep, me too until that point! They are not as indestructible as we think they are. It helps not to drop it fully loaded from standing height onto solid granite, however.

We can prepare for a lot out in the backcountry, but weird stuff can always happen. I won't even talk about the time I inadvertently bear-sprayed myself on a portage in northern Algonquin. I was wearing it on a hip holster and the waist strap of my canoe bag set it off. You see, the safety clip had fallen out somehow and I hadn't noticed...but that's another story ;) Merry Christmas, everyone!

Back