• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

While we are on the subject of pants...

Reaction score
What do folks wear for pants in camp? I have an older pair of Wintergreen pants (Ely, MN), but they are quite bulky. Wondering what else is out there that people like? I'm thinking of windshell, etc. pants and not fleece pants...Anyway, would like to hear what others use...Thanks!

I don’t have in-camp specific pants, but I have a few pairs I like. When the temps are above 50ish, LL Bean and North Face quick dry, Fjallraven - not sure of model (I’ve had them forever), and recently I really like the Duluth Trading hiking pants. I wear a thin pair of thermals under if it warrants. When it’s dang cold I usually wear the lined Duluth Firehose pants. I like wool pants, but I tend to wear them out too quickly.

Bob

Anyone use those Kuhl/Prana and other type pants that look nicer that what I wear to work? They seem stretchy/wind blocking and yet relatively light and strong....

I like military surplus BDU pants 50/50 cotton/nylon . Lightwt, tough and quick drying. I purchased a few but in the past year or so was given a lifetime supply by a nephew who retired from the military after a 20+ year career.

Anyone use those Kuhl/Prana and other type pants that look nicer that what I wear to work? They seem stretchy/wind blocking and yet relatively light and strong....
I have the Kuhl Ryder and Prana Zion pants. The Prana Zion are my favorite canoe tripping pants. They are stretchy and dry quicky and a medium weight. The Kuhl are fine around town or out for a day hike but they don't dry quickly enough to earn a place in my canoe-tripping gear. For really warm weather I bring the REI coop Sahara Roll Ups.

Been wearing the Fjallraven Vita pros lately in the colder times and some north face paramount convertibles when things get hot. Its pretty buggy where I trip so like the thicker fabrics. Those Duluth pants look pretty sweet, they just got added to the Christmas list!

No camp pants for me. Same pair I wore during the day is what I wear in camp. If they're wet and the weather is dry I'll wear my long underwear until the pants dry. I've been happy with my Rail Riders. Can't remember the specific model.

Alan

I like the thin nylon pants that dry fast. Many companies make them.
For cooler weather, polypro long johns underneath.
Sometimes in shoulder season. Long johns with a pair of gym shorts over them.

I go to the thrift store and get light weight wool dress pants. I've got some fancy Italian ones that cost a few bucks. It's the only time I've ever worn dress pants.

They dry really fast and I haven't found that they aren't tough enough.

If it’s chilly, I’ll also wear my long johns around camp. Usually go with a 200 weight merino wool. Summer through later fall, maybe winter, I have a light pair of soft shell Arcteryx pants. They’re durable, stretchy, and dry fast. My #1. I’ve worn the Prana Zion and they’re nice, a good pair of pants to consider. I wore a pair of Fjallraven Somer pants for work all spring through now, very durable, breathable, dry much faster than anticipated and have a good fit. Plus they’re not absurd in price.

Poly/merino base layers with poly pants, shorts and wool warm layers keeps me quickly dry and often comfortable tripping May thru October.
Almost all my tripping outer clothing is bought (new or nearly new) from a local thrift store; from Viking rain coats to Columbia pants and shorts. The most I've paid is $10. I guess I'm lucky.
I've never been wet cold and miserable; well, one rarely, two hardly ever, three never.

Two reliable standby's for me here.

I do bring 2 pairs of pants when I am out there.

LL Bean Mountain pants, which I have had so long I don't recall even buying them. It as back when the gem tones were popular. I got one of their anoraks at the same time, and it is still going strong.

Also, a pair of Field & Stream nylon pants from Dicks Sporting Goods (the legs can be unzipped for shorts) which I didn't think would last that long, however I spent 15 years climbing the 46 High Peaks, and every other outdoor activity in between and they are in remarkably good shape. I was so happy with them that about 5 years after I got them I had to get a second pair, but of course, the recipe had changed by then. Not the same by any stretch. I hate it when that happens.

I have pants from Patagonia, North Face, Kuhl and Columbia but have never had to switch from the 2 pair outlined above.

Not hi-jacking, but - don't you hate it when you have pieces of equipment that were/are your go-to's where the original was fantastic, but the "same" subsequent models were a let down? I'll start - every piece of Marmot equipment I have purchased in the last 5 years was a let down compared to the earlier models. I understand market share, margins and EBITDA, but it still pisses me off.

Two reliable standby's for me here.

I do bring 2 pairs of pants when I am out there.

LL Bean Mountain pants, which I have had so long I don't recall even buying them. It as back when the gem tones were popular. I got one of their anoraks at the same time, and it is still going strong.

Also, a pair of Field & Stream nylon pants from Dicks Sporting Goods (the legs can be unzipped for shorts) which I didn't think would last that long, however I spent 15 years climbing the 46 High Peaks, and every other outdoor activity in between and they are in remarkably good shape. I was so happy with them that about 5 years after I got them I had to get a second pair, but of course, the recipe had changed by then. Not the same by any stretch. I hate it when that happens.

I have pants from Patagonia, North Face, Kuhl and Columbia but have never had to switch from the 2 pair outlined above.

Not hi-jacking, but - don't you hate it when you have pieces of equipment that were/are your go-to's where the original was fantastic, but the "same" subsequent models were a let down? I'll start - every piece of Marmot equipment I have purchased in the last 5 years was a let down compared to the earlier models. I understand market share, margins and EBITDA, but it still pisses me off.
You mean like when LL Bean hunting boots were the only serious option and had a lifetime warranty? Yeah - praise be the MBA.

Very true SP,

Chick purchased a new pair directly from Bean, and upon arrival and brief look they were returned.

Armed with this knowledge I purchased an older, but practically new pair on e-bay for $75.00. No doubt the seller knew of the new Bean quality issues, and he reeled me in.

I was glad I purchased them.

I got some Eddie bouer ascent pants recently. They are stretchy and pretty quick drying and have secure zippered pockets that I like. I wore them for Xc skiing even though they arel summer weight and they are great for hiking when it was cool anyway.

I thought they would be great for tripping which they were when it was cool and no portaging. But on our first portage heavy trip we had record high temps and they were way to hot. Quick dry and stretchy turned into quick die and stretchy. My legs overheated and lost all their power and we never reached our goal, first time that happened. THere were other reasons we didn’t make our goal.

I think the stretchy pants don’t breathe well enough and I was wishing I wore my parigus tripping pants. They are a cotton blend that dry quickly but aren’t stretchy. I’m on my second pair and will ho back to them in the future.

I really like the comfort of stretchy pants but I found them to be way too hot for hard work in the heat.

I'm wearing a pair of ex officio pants and no doubt a pair of long johns underneath here on a cold spring day in Quetico. Not a fan of those thin nylon pants, but my tolerance to cold is probably lower than most so take it for what it's worth.

108_0837.jpg

What I wear mostly are Propper BDU's, inexpensive, a blend of cotton and polyester, extra material on the knees and butt, I prefer buttons over a zipper but they give you a choice. They wear like iron.
In cooler weather, I wear Johnson wool pants.
IMG_1710.JPG

Back