• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Which Esquif?

Reaction score
I looking to purchase a second canoe to go with my Lincoln Concord. I've decided I want a Esquif. It will be used for single and multi day New England whitewater and lakes. Mostly used tandem with my wife or kids. I'm looking at the Canyon, Prospecteur Sport, or Prospecteur 16. Having some trouble deciding, any advice or comments is greatly appreciated.

RJ, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I've never paddled or seen any of those three canoes. However, from the specs, the Canyon with its significant 4.5" of rocker seems to be designed as a whitewater canoe. Indeed, its description says: "Made for the river, its size and shape allow you to paddle it through large whitewater safely. The Canyon’s high ends, depth and volume provides excellent carrying capacity for extended trips and helps to maintain dry descents even through large rapids."

The 16' Prospecteur and Prospecteur Sport seem close in dimensions, but the Sport specs seem a littler more tuned for rivers than lakes. The Prospecteur may be a little better combo canoe for rivers and lakes. You may find some info in this thread:

The Canyon is a great boat but it's meant for big people on big water with a big pile of gear.

Personally I have a strong aversion to any boat sold using the "prospector" name, not really much basis for my (irrational) dislike.

I really want a Pocket Canyon in olive with wood gunnels. Not one of your options, but its basically a short canyon. Big solo whitewater tripper or tandem day paddles. Canoe the North uses a Pocket Canyon for many of their multi-day trips.

The Northern Scavenger guys have absolutely beat the fire out of their Canyons and they keep ticking. True tanks.

Last edited:
I forgot to includeI, 've been canoeing since 1989 when my father bought our Lincoln Concord. I'm a bigger guy at 6'-1" 260lbs. Wife is in the 130 range (too scared to ask ha). My kids are 10 and 11 years old, other cargo could include an 80lb chessapeak bay retrieve. So I could potentially have any combo of passengers, I'd like to keep the size under 17'. Will the flatwater performance really be an issue with the canyon or is it exaggerated.
Thanks again, I really appreciate all the replies on this site!

I saw a Canyon last summer. It looked to me like a dedicated whitewater boat. It was about to be launched at a large southern lake. I thought it would make an awesome boat for whitewater tripping, but I was glad to be paddling my Explorer on that lake.

It all depends on how much whitewater performance you need.

I'm a bigger guy at 6'-1" 260lbs. Wife is in the 130 range (too scared to ask ha). My kids are 10 and 11 years old, other cargo could include an 80lb chessapeak bay retrieve.

You may want a 17' canoe if you are thinking of carrying some combination of that many people and a dog. Kids at that age are actually ready for their own canoe or kayak, and they certainly don't usually want to be in a canoe with mom and dad when they are teens. For the longer term, you may be better served by one 16' tandem plus a couple of solo boats, or maybe two 16' symmetrical tandems that can also be soloed.

Canyon is by far the more capable ww boat. I much prefer the 17' Prospectuer to the 16'

Go big! 17’ prospecteur all the way. I paddle big boats a lot, 18’ NC prospector and 18’6 McKenzie. When we take the 16’ boats out they feel tiny and uncomfortable.

I have a Prospecteur Sport and like it as an all around canoe, with a bias toward rivers. The Canyon is a whitewater tripper, and I think you would be disappointed using it as an all around family boat.

If you are really planning to carry the entire family, including the 80 lb dog, definitely go with a 17 footer. I'm not familiar with the Concord, but just from a glance online it looks like a nice boat.

On a trip, would you put two paddlers in the Concord and two in whatever Esquif? That would give more load capacity, better handling boats, and provide the kids with something to do.

OTOH, I firmly believe that his-n-hers canoes are the key to a happy marriage. The corollary is that teenagers also need solo canoes. So you could paddle a big canoe solo, and get 3 Esquif Echoes, for mom and both kids.....if money is no object.....;)

Be forewarned that there are a lot of enablers on this forum who will encourage canoe addiction.

I looking to purchase a second canoe to go with my Lincoln Concord. I've decided I want a Esquif. It will be used for single and multi day New England whitewater and lakes. Mostly used tandem with my wife or kids. I'm looking at the Canyon, Prospecteur Sport, or Prospecteur 16. Having some trouble deciding, any advice or comments is greatly appreciated.
Hi, rj,

It appears you're looking for a tandem canoe with whitewater capability. And your second post infers that you might be carrying the entire family on occasion. That's expecting a lot out of a 16' canoe, especially in whitewater. Good advice I've been given is that you might want to step back and reconsider how you'll really use that second canoe. Buying a canoe for the few times you might use it for whitewater tripping is going to reduce it's capability and enjoyment in the majority of situations you'll actually be paddling.

If it's more likely you'll be paddling lakes and quick water rivers, with occasional trips on class 2-3 whitewater rivers, then as others have suggested, something like a 17' Prospector/Prospecteur style canoe could work well. But the weight of a durable hull in longer lengths gets to be a hassle for "everyday" use. Realistically, if you aren't going to be paddling whitewater very often, you might want to consider a lighter weight layup in a 17' or 18' length for tripping and then rent a canoe(s) for the few whitewater trips you might take.

Didn't intend to make things more complicated, just that I've seen people buy a canoe that doesn't get used much because it isn't as enjoyable for how they typically use it. Food for thought anyway.

Tom

Just curious if it is the Esquif brand you're after or T-Formex, which at least by advertisements Wenonah and MadRiver also use?

I don't know squat about esquif but these guys did a 35 day Labrador crossing in a pair of canyons.

One team wrapped their canoe up at 03:12:17. It looked like it was destroyed but they managed to get unwrapped and out of the water, straightened out the crease and continued on. Looks like pretty tough hull to me. At 5+ hrs it took me 3 days watching on and off to get through it. Pretty cool adventure tho and they did a good job filming and documenting.

Back