• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Whelen Lean

Reaction score
I have wanted a Whelen Lean for years and I finally gave into temptation. The other day I spoke with Deborah from Tentsmiths and ordered mine and in about 4.5 weeks I will have a Whelen sunforger flame on it's way to me. I was wondering how many are on here that like the old style canvas camps? Let me hear your stories and lets see some pics of your camps.

No Title

Good for you. I use a Snowtrekker 9x11.5 EXP Short Wall tent, from september to may.
For years I wanted a TentSmith top of the world in Egyptien cotton, but not possible for them to find good cotton anymore and they stopped making the tent!

Attachments

• photo1738.jpg
    photo1738.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 1
I have had several canvas tents including a wall tent, Baker tent and an 18 foot tipi.
I have a nylon Whelen lean-to that was made in Oregon. I have used it backpacking and for overnight cross country ski trips with a fire in front. It is a cozy shelter and sometimes I set it up in the backyard and build a fire and look at the mountains. You will like it. Add a mosquito bar or netting for canoe country.

That is a sweet looking tent Canotrouge! I bet that stove warms it up great! This will be the first Canvas tent that I have owned and am looking forward to setting up and spending a few nights in it this spring. I'll be picking up a used Monster Wedge made by panther primitives next month that I got in a trade with a fellow I know. I'll post pics of all when they arrive and are set up.

I love bakers and whelens. They are like a portable ADK leantoo. One more versatile and easier to set up alternative is a 2 door canvas wedge you can open one side on and still use if you want an enclosed space.
Turtle

I was wondering how many are on here that like the old style canvas camps? Let me hear your stories and lets see some pics of your camps.

I bought an 8 x 10 wall tent with a 12x12x24"wood stove a few years ago not knowing too much about either at the time.I wanted to extend my camping season, with comfort in mind. I also purchased an interior frame for the tent which ended up being way to heavy and a real pain to cart around. I used the tent a few times around home and a couple of times in the ADK's via canoe but it was just too big to transport.

But, I really liked the idea of a warm place to hang out in so I decided to downsize the tent. It went from this, 8x10x6'6",

to 7' x '6 x 54" with a 12" x 8" x 12" stove, (I'm 6'1" next to the tent). I ditched the heavy "conduit" material to wood dowels for the interior frame, much lighter and strong enough to hold up in a wind.

I now have used it in Maine for an ice out trip to Flagstaff Lake,

where I liked to keep warm and concentrate on my health food diet,

I also have used it for 2 canoe in deer hunts to Lows Lake in the ADKs, where both times I spent a week and saw only one other canoe. I have plans for an ice out trip to the ADKs this spring and possibly a Canaidian spring trip with it just before the bugs come out. It's a very comfortable way to camp as I age and the cold effects me more, it sets up very fast, the tent and stove, angle kit fit in a #3 Duluth pack, the poles are somewhat of a pain, but worth the effort.

Comfortable camp,

For days like this.... late October in the ADK's

Nice tent Robin, I would like a smaller one than the no eI have for solo trips, but didn't find anything that I really like yet!!

Robin, where did you get the angle pieces? Have you told me that already? I have a tent I'm thinking of doing the same too.

Memaquay, I forget where I got them, but this shows you how to measure the angle for your tent and the pictures give you a good idea for DIY. My tent uses 6 angles for 6' ridge, 2 for the ridge and 1 at each corner. I figure if there is a heavy snow weight, a temporary support can be stuck under the center of the ridge and under each wall top pole.
http://www.walltentshop.com/AngleKitInstr.html

Nice tent Robin, I would like a smaller one than the no eI have for solo trips, but didn't find anything that I really like yet!!
Have you looked at Snow Trekker tents? Not sure how small a one they make. I rented one of their wall tents for a winter trek into the BWCA last winter and I liked the tent. The material did seem lighter than other canvas tents I have used although the floor the outfitter sent with was a rubberized tarp that I think weighed more than the tent and the stove was also a terrible design, wouldn't keep lit and smoked us out a lot.

Have you looked at Snow Trekker tents? Not sure how small a one they make. I rented one of their wall tents for a winter trek into the BWCA last winter and I liked the tent. The material did seem lighter than other canvas tents I have used although the floor the outfitter sent with was a rubberized tarp that I think weighed more than the tent and the stove was also a terrible design, wouldn't keep lit and smoked us out a lot.

I own a Snowtrekker tent, they are really good, maybe the best out there! That said, I want something different, 8 sided with 20 inches wall and 8 feet in the centre, maybe 10 feet in diameter... I might have to make it my self, since I want it to be out of a light weight canvas think Ethaproof or Ventil....

Several years ago someone gave me Whelan lean, but I tucked it away in my gear storage without ever unrolling it. It has an Ambercrombie and Fitch label, which dates it around 1925. Fast forward to the 118 year old Saranac Lake NY Winter Carnival huge parade in February. My fellow BSA trek leader guide training instructor staff decided to put together a float with a Voyageur theme, complete with the Whelan, a woodstrip guideboat and a woodstrip canoe, 14 of us wearing hand made wool blanket capotes, and traditional singers with music. We had a great time and our float won second place!
. sherry.jpg
sideview.jpg
kerry.jpg

balcony-view.jpg

Last edited:
No Title

I have watched your videos Robin and like your "cut down" tent very much. Oh, and BTW, that is my kind of "health food" brother! Turtle, the monster wedge tent that I am trading a guy for next month has two doors. He claims that it makes a huge difference in the summer. My main use for that tent will be for reenactment events in which i portray a Ranger from the French and Indian war. I will be using the wedge tent for events and period correct trekking. Here are a few pics of our Ranger Encampment at Fort Michilimackinac last summer and a Trekking camp I did last month.

Attachments

• photo1742.jpg
    photo1742.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1745.jpg
    photo1745.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1751.jpg
    photo1751.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 1
I miss the winter carnival. Haven't seen it in about four or five years now. Are the lawn chair ladies still in it?
Back on topic, I've always wanted a Whelen tent. If this snow ever melts I might get inspired the work up some dimensions.
Jim

I have at least 5 primitive tents-medium 10X8 wall,small 5X7 wedge, and 4 different 12,10 8X9,7X5 size diamonds. Kind of like solo canoes-different ones suit different conditions. I am a living history guy,not a reinactor. panther tents says a wedge should always have 2 doors.Still miss my baker which I traded. Thinking of a whelen as they need fewer poles.
turtle

Back