• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Whelen Lean

So Boreal Birch kindly suggested I post some pictures of the Whelan Lean that I have made for him. I apologise for the less than authentic setting. I wanted to just pitch it and check that all was well before I mailed it to Alaska.

IMG_0448_zpsjvww0d8p.jpg

From the front. I was impressed with how much coverage the tarp gives and how much wind protection it provides. I just improvised with some poles from my Snowtrekker. Pitched this way the ridge was about 5ft high.

IMG_0446_zpspb3qhucg.jpg

From the back showing the pull out tabs. I built this to the original dimensions. I would maybe have put these a bit lower if I had to choose a location but they do help support the back of the tarp and add volume inside.

Finished weight in untreated cotton is a shade less than 5lbs. When I finally get round to making my own I plan to wash the whole thing in Nikwax cotton proof.

That is a sweet looking shelter for sure...thanks for the good pics and the tight setup (hard enough to get in the woods)...that weight is very nice too! Can you share your selling price?

$190Cdn with fabric at the current rate ( +5% GST for Canadians, sorry!)). Shipping extra.

I think I have enough fabric to make two more from this roll then it will be interesting to see what the new price would be. I am fairly exposed to currency volatility (That's not a phrase I ever expected to use!)

Great Work BV. Is that from the same fabric you sent me a swatch from?

Yes, same stuff. I washed it in hot water before cutting out the pieces, not sure if it actually shrunk that much.
The loops are all cotton webbing. I couldn't find any I liked so i bought some thinner but wider then doubled it over with a row of stitching to get something that felt right.
If it were available with a certified flame retardant I'm sure it could be used to make tents.

Back