• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

What’s in your toiletry kit?

G

Playing off Mem’s personal hygiene thread, what’s in your toiletry kit?

In a yellow (once upon a time, now 30 years old dingy) 5 x 7 inch YKK zippered nylon bag:

Toothpaste, and a toothbrush in one of those plastic bristle cases. I cut the last couple inches off the handle, not to save weight, but so it fits in the bag length. Still reaches the back teeth.

Floss. I should be an every-day flosser, but when a piece of gristle is maddeningly stuck between two molars. . . .

The world’s most disgusting looking piece of old broken hairbrush, so I can look my hirsute best without displaying dead bugs and oatmeal crumbs in my beard.

Visine. No so much to get the red eye out (though there is that) but just to flush out the day’s accumulation of smoke, dust, pollen and occasional debris. My eyes feel revitalized fresh, like my head feels after a shampoo.

Chapstick or Blistex. Winter or desert travels = dry cracked lips. On winter tidal trips I bring moisturizer for my hands; the calluses on my fingers and thumbs will split after just a few days salt water exposure. Callus splits are every-stroke annoying while paddling. Unnecessarily stupid, and preventable with some metro-sexual skin care routine. Revitalizing Kaolin, Bentonite and sheep testicle face-mask extra.

Nasal Spray. I have few if any seasonal allergies. . . . at home where I have always lifelong lived.
2000 miles away, especially in a flowering desert or alpine meadow, there are new and unfamiliar pollens, and I am occasionally over-stuffy and prone to snoring myself startled-awake at night. My apologies to any companions tented nearby.

Nail clippers. If my fingernails aren’t clipped down to the nub I will somehow break them while tripping, and that teeny split is ouch maddening when grubbing around inside a food sack or stuffing a sleeping bag. The big toenail clipper sort; the little ones are hard for me to fumble fingered operate, and I want my toenails likewise short so my socks last.

Not much room left in that little bag, but I’m open to suggestion.

Being an eyeglass wearer, tri-focals, I always carry an eyeglass repair kit with spare screws and nosepads or whatever they are called. I will be adding a pair of cheaters as I need them to see the tiny screws getting into the right hole to put the mess back together again!

I must admit to having long lasting scars on my knuckles; I must remind myself to tuck my hands in my pockets to keep them from dragging. As such, I do not own a "toiletry kit". I always thought they were a useless piece of baggage the suitcase manufacturers included in every purchase in order to fill out the order and pad the bill. As such I do not own a suitcase of any kind. Why bother? I own several perfectly suitable packs. On the other hand my wife has all these bases covered. She owns several suitcases of different kinds and sizes, even a set with floral embroidered type fabric. She keeps offering me one whenever we travel somewhere, but I refuse. I have to admit I have caved a couple times and used a sombre grey suitcase "she bought me" for flying, mostly because it has wheels and an extendable handle for dragging through airports. Whoever invented that should get a medal. And there's cinching straps in the interior. Overpacking has never been easier. But toiliffy bags? Oh for Pete's sake. I never bother to pack that stuff. And I will tell you why. Because whenever wherever we go, as soon as I step into the bathroom there beside the sink I'll magically find my toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, my Axe body spray, my David Beckham body wash and my David Beckham aftershave. I have no idea how the heck these items get there. Our hosts, hotel, motel, hostel, B&B peeps must be psychic or something. Incredible when you think about it. But, as such, I do not overthink these things. I'm pretty much okay with the way I smell, and if my travelling life partner had any reason to complain I'm pretty sure she would speak up, or at the very least do something about it. As such I believe in magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbfuAcCqpY

On canoe trips we do carry what might be confused with one of those little toilet suitcases. But it's not. She likes it because of a) the various compartments inside, some clear plastic, some mesh, some elastic cuffed, some zippered...and b) it has a dangly hook she finds ideal for hanging from trees. This contraption is our kitchen kit. It blows my mind that some suitcase manufacturers include a camp kitchen kit case in their suitcase package deals. But the toiletty bag thing is stupid. Don't fall for it.

Maybe it's the ozone, disruptive foliage, or maybe it's the ethereal ether getting in the way, but the magic follows me into the woods, altho' with much less effect. Just my toothbrush, toothpaste and some Campsuds shows up. Bang. Zoom. Every morning right there on a log right next to the kitchen setup. Incredible.

Last edited:
Other than some daily medications, my trip kit includes a small comb, travel toothbrush, small tube of toothpaste, some floss, a small vial of Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap, some baby powder, nail clippers and a small sewing kit (yea...I know, it's not a "toiletry" but it's in the same zip loc bag as the rest of the stuff. So far, this always seems to work for me wherever I find myself when on a trip regardless of the season; although I drop the Dr. Bonnner's on winter trips.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

"toiletry bag"?? is that the stupid pleather pouch that sits on my dresser gathering junk and dust? Never use it, my bag is a little tiny telephone headset sack (remember them?) and all it usually contains is a folding brush, comb thingy, a tiny container of soap flakes, half a toothbrush (yes I DID cut off the handle) and a little tube of toothpaste. one of my bandannas is my washcloth, and the other is my towel, and plain cornstarch makes a decent deodorant, as well as foot powder andfor other rashes

For toiletries, I carry the TP, TP, TB (No holes, Not shortened, electric) Camp Suds, Hand Sanitizer, and a comb. I use it to clean the camp treats out of my beard.

Part of my pre-trip prep list is to clip finger and toes

I will try the Anti-Monkey Butt powder.

What the heck is a "toiletry Kit"? Is that a fancy name for crap wipe?

Yeah, “toiletry kit” is misleading; none in it actually has to do with a toilet.

From now on I will call it my “Morning and Evening Means of Abultion Questionable Usage Anti Yuck” kit.

If only there was a shorter acronym.

As mentioned that kit is in an ancient yellow nylon pouch that is seriously grungy. I’m looking forward to asking “Has anyone seen my filthy MEMAQUAY?”

The older I get, the bigger my 'toiletry kit' gets. Toothbrush and paste (for my real teeth), ounce or so of Listerine, dental cleaner and adhesive (for the rest of them). Deodorant. washcloth and towel (sham-wow) Campsuds are in the blue food barrel. Things like nail clippers, chapstick, nasal spray, sewing kit go in the !st aid kit and kept handy in the canoe. Then there is the other "kit" (TP, shovel, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, baby powder) also kept handy in the canoe. There is also baby powder and hand sanitizer in the blue barrel. The last kit is my portable pharmacy in an airtight, waterproof container (12 pills/day plus insulin flex pens and testing meter).

There was a time when everything I took for 7-10 days fit in a 65 liter pack and a 20 liter day bag. Now a 30 liter blue barrel, 80 liter pack, day bag and the above mentioned kits are good for 3-4 days. Longer trips require a second blue barrel. It's tough gettin' older. My needs have greatly increased. :eek::(

Medicine: Advil. Pepcid. Imodium. Benedryl.

Hygiene related: Toothbrush/toothpaste, no-wash shampoo/bodywash, camp soap, hand sanitizer. Deodorant if traveling with others.

My poop kit consists of Tp, a small trowel, hand sanitizer and camp suds. All together in a small drybag.

:D except that is too accurate a description of what a toiletry kit should be. Should we retitle to Other End Hygiene Kit? Eric how do you apply camp suds to post thunderbox visits? Or maybe I should not know!
My Other End Hygeine kit has tootbrush toothpaste deodorant , campsuds, and various remedies for when the other end goes awry like working not at all or too mucn.. And the ever growing arsenal of pills. ARGH! And antibiotic ointment and Keefes working hands creams. Awaiting Keefes working butt cream

toiletry kit is a zip lock bag. Travel size toothpaste and toothbrush, ear plugs, meds, afterbite, small liquid deep woods off.

Being an eyeglass wearer, tri-focals, I always carry an eyeglass repair kit with spare screws and nosepads or whatever they are called. I will be adding a pair of cheaters as I need them to see the tiny screws getting into the right hole to put the mess back together again!

I don’t need glasses other than for reading, but I carry three pair of cheaters. Two are in the essentials bag, one of that pair goes immediately into the tent, so when I turn in to read at night I don’t get comfy in the sleeping bag only to realize that I have no glasses

The third pair is of the little folding sort in a hard case and live in the Spares & Repairs bag. Call them the back ups to the back ups, I know they are not misplaced, lost or damaged.

I actually am starting to need another, speciality sort of cheaters; sunglasses with cheater lenses, maybe bifocals or such, for map reading in the canoe. I have to have sunglasses, again primaries and back ups, but have become spoiled by higher quality sunglass lenses, and don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on polarized cheaters.

About the little “glasses repair kits”, we have a couple, including one little vial in the shop filled with teeny screws taken from busted glasses. I can find the right sized and threaded screws for repairs at best 50% of the time.

Like Mihun09, my kit is a zip lock bag. Two, actually. One that comes on multi-day trips has less used items I only need if I run into a bath, like Dr. Bs and deodorant, the other zip lock that comes on all trips has oral hygiene stuff, clippers, eye-ball lube and pills. The oral hygiene zip lock stays near the top of the pack.

Often, little sacks of ibuprofen or imodium find their way into the bag. I drop a few pills into the fingertips of disposable plastic gloves, then cut off and heat seal the glove-fingers, and toss those into the dental-hygiene zip lock.

Yeah, “toiletry kit” is misleading; none in it actually has to do with a toilet.

My dad worked for the Gillette company for over 40 years. When I was very young, 5 or 6, he was put in charge of their "Toiletries Division" (all the different shaving creams, deodorants, aftershaves). When someone would ask what he did for a living, my dad invariably responded that he was the "head of toiletries" for Gillette. Boy did that make me cringe. Whenever my friends asked me what my dad did, I just said he "worked for Gillette." On the plus side, I don't think I ever had to buy deodorant, shaving cream, a razor or razor blades until after he retired, by which time I was in my early thirties!

Last edited:
A small squirt bottle filled with lake water works better than toilet paper, is better for the evenroment, an never runs out. A natural bidet.

Back