• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

What's in your front hall closet ?

Reaction score
My wife asked me this morning how many other people had PFDs hanging in their front hall closet?

Jack L

I have several, at least one for every member of the family. Although, it is in the back hall since we don't have a front hall closet.

Benson

Mostly a bunch of business coats, rain coats and various jackets that no longer fit me and which I haven't used in 20 years. Also a vacuum cleaner.

All my PFD's that no longer fit me or have old flotation (which degrades with age, so please check them periodically) are in my garage. My current PFD's and most of my paddle garments and footwear are permanently hung on a clothing bar in my full-sized conversion van or are in a pack basket in the van, which has been my canoe vehicle for 40 years.

I don't have any room in my front hall for a closet even though it's about 5' x 15', it's overloaded with all my paddling gear, the pfd's are in a box on the floor along with all the standard gear I would use for a trip. Other than food (and boat in the Garage) I can gather everything I need for a trip in less than 30 minutes.

We don’t have a hall closet, so the mudroom has become that sort of thing. Combination mudroom, closet, gear closet. So most camping, paddling, outdoorsy gear is in there.

It's just an ordinary hall closet, containing coats, hats, and boots.

PFDs are in two duffle bags in a shed, along with paddles, bailers, Grumman sailing rig leeboards, anchors*, fenders, and rope. There's also a stack of marine plywood and assorted lumber. Tents, backpacks, dry bags, and other camping gear are in the garage attic.

*Anybody need a 16.5 lb Bruce pattern claw anchor?

Hall closet has the coats we use when fetching wood, a broom, carpet sweeper and vacuum. Paddles and PFDs occupy the mud room in season, but are currently in the utility room having been switched out for skis and snowshoes.

Since I retired in August last year I have my collection of overcoats and raincoats in the closet that I am inching closer to donating, but I am painstakingly modifying my gear area in the basement. I am literally organizing individual hooks, swivels, lines, rods and reels at present, and by March will be doing the same with my canoeing/camping gear. However my new Kokatat semi-dry suit is draped over Chick's wingback chair in our bedroom, which she points out is a bit creepy.

Our humble little 1960 bungalow has one, though like every room in this home, it is on the tight but perfectly proportioned side of small. The front hall has charm but not nearly the required dimensions for any cat swinging. The closet contents change with the seasons. Coats, jackets, tuques and scarves, gloves, umbrellas, hats and a healthy bag of salt for the winter sidewalk. These all rotate with the changing climes.
Canoe gear, like all other outdoor paraphernalia, resides in a well ordered corner of the basement. Our home reflects our lives, which I am happy to say, is rich and varied. No two days are alike. Our lives and front hall closet contents are as changeable as the weather.

Last edited:
No closets period. Paddles in the bedroom. Pfd in the living room.

depending on the season, good coats, raingear, work coats and a healthy assortment of everything from paddling shoes to Sorels. I don't relegate my paddling or camping gear to such mundane quarters, My paddles have their own rack in the garage, my pfd's have a home on a rack in the basement, my clothes have their own home in an upstairs closet organizer, and the rest of the gear is either on shelves or bins in the garage (stoves etc.) or bins in the basement(cooking gear, etc)

We have a larger than average front hall closet. It houses 34 of my wife’s coats, two of my coats left-over from my suit-wearing days, extra leaves for the dining room table, an umbrella for the deck, and miscellaneous baby toys for grand kids. PFD and most paddling gear is in the garage. Boats are racked under the deck. I hoard of hats and gloves, but they reside in a bedroom closet. Except leather gloves, which can be found in the garage, near the wood stove, in the workshop, and among my paddling gear.

Erica and YC get my vote for coolest responses. They only thing I think is cooler is paddlers who keep their boats in the living room.

Back