• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

What's happening in your shop this winter?

I'm intrigued by your folder build. Looks complicated. The pictures are of a lockback? Really nice scales.
I'm amazed at the perfect fit and finish.

Last edited:
Someone asked, "why an automatic knife? " (paraphrased)

Sometimes you need that blade while one hand is busy. And in some places, a belt-carried fixed blade is not socially acceptable.

I have one assisted opening knife, a SOG Trident. Which I surely didn’t pay anything close to $80 for back when; I probably bought it because it was heavily discounted.

https://www.sogknives.com/trident-partially-serrated-black-tini.html

It is a menacing looking thing, less so because I carried it in a lab coat pocket, where a belt carried sheath knife under the coat would have been even more awkward to dig out, and worse to put away.

I used it daily for opening boxes, slicing up cardboard for recycling and cutting cord or that awful flat plastic binder material that comes wrapped around some packages. The little cutting notch blade reveal in the handle was really handy for those latter tasks.

That cutting notch is ¼” wide, so handy for quickly cutting anything from monofilament up to 6mm cord with the knife unopened. If you spend time at work or in the field around cord, fishing line or etc that is a worthwhile feature.

Around the house or in the shop, not so much; I have other knives, nippers, scissors and box cutters better suited to a particular task.

I'm intrigued by your folder build. Looks complicated. The pictures are of a lockback? Really nice scales.
I'm amazed at the perfect fit and finish.

The release button locks the blade open and closed. So I would call it a button lock I guess. When I get the next one far enough along I'll post some pics of a similar one with internal pieces in place. It will make better sense than me explaining it. The scales are jigged cow bone.

Not quite done yet, but I like how it's turning out....

Attachments

• photo10961.jpg
    photo10961.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 0
Not quite done yet, but I like how it's turning out....

Not quite done in the shop either, but I like that clamp wheelie rack (and have bar clamp envy).

It’s been in the teens F here for the past couple of days. My tiny shop office is nicely warm, but it takes too long and is too $ to bring the shop up to epoxy or varnish/urethane temps, and keep it there for hours.

But the urethane is warming atop the vanity cabinet in a (slightly heated) bathroom; tomorrow it will be back above freezing and the shop will heat easily. The missus has accepted that the top of the downstairs bathroom vanity is used for 24-hour pre-warming of varnish or urethane or etc cans. But not if guests are expected.

Meanwhile this is the ideal time (can’t move forward to urethane top coating) to do a most thorough sanding job on some woodwork that was epoxy coated a week ago, cured and outgassed in preparation for the forecast deep freeze.

One of the things I love about shop work is the sequential step planning and cogitation, this, then this, then wait, then this. Winter weather forecasts add another element to that chess game of planning.

That looks really nice but I don't see many empty spots for expansion. Or maybe you're the one woodworker in the world who thinks he has enough clamps? :)

Alan

:D

We can always add wings. ;)
Actually, I already have added ribs under the two top shelves today for my spring clamps.....and there's room for more of those. :)

Back