• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

What have you lost in a capsize?

G

Rapids didn't tip us. A submerged log did. Rapids is just the landmark
Lesson failed to be learned: if it can sink it will

There is a confessional waiting to be heard.

I discovered that a full stainless steel Kleen Canteen, with no headspace of air, will sink like a rock. That one hurt, as did a rescue knife sent to Davey Jones.

It doesn’t actually require a capsize. The Y-mount from a Spirit Sail, if dropped overboard, will never be seen again unless it has some floatation glued on. Flailing wildly at green head flies will send sunglasses flying. If you wear pricey prescription glasses the results of that flailing about it is dang near guaranteed.

All swims considered I haven’t lost much. I’ve never lost a paddle (jinx) and never lost any critical gear. I have been present for more than a few sunken cameras, and have enjoyed hours of unhelpful color commentary when friends spent time diving (blindly) into a lake or eddy ISO lost prescription glasses.

So, what have YOU sunk?

dumped one cold spring in some french river (ontario) rapids -- grabbed the canoe, my paddles and the foam pad i was kneeling on, but the stainless steel cup that was clipped on the gunnels is now river-bottom narrative. Interestingly, in the more-recently constructed interpretive centre off of highway 69, they have a life-sized french-river rapids display -- scattered on the river-bottom is old voyageur trade goods, and a rusty leatherman...it's a nice touch...

About 20 years ago my son and I were on the Kickapoo River in Wisconsin with my son's friend and his father. We were in a borrowed Mad River Malecite. At ll years old, my son probably had more experience than in the other boat, total. At some point he leaned over the side and the boat just rolled. As we went over, I yelled, "dang your hide!"- a comment I am occasionally reminded of. I lost a pair of glasses, a camera, and a bit of pride. The funny story was almost worth it. His explanation (accompanied by a shrug): he wanted to look at something in the water.

Rolled the boat once, only once so far. Little tiny 6" wave below a fast moving rapid we were approaching since we were travelling upstream. Had to power through the bottom of the rapid and make a hard right around a very large boulder to get to the take out. Had we actually tried the turn we likely would have wrapped on it, given the amount of current, 18 foot boat, 20 feet of water to work with. Needless to say, we likely were both leaning upstream at the time we hit the little wave broadside and in a split second we were swimming. We bob up and hang onto the boat, which is floating perfectly upside down bouyed up by the Eureka canoe packs crammed inside.

We swam it to shore, righted it and bailed with coffee mugs. Only then did we realize the fishing rods were gone. 4 rods, 3 reels, one less expensive spinning reel, a more expensive Shimano spinning reel on a Bass Pro pack rod and one very expensive Quantum casting reel on a cheap casting rod. We were standing in the muck along a weedy shore and later on I found a half dozen leeches suckling away Through my socks. I actually only noticed AFTER I had ripped the socks off, 3 portages further upstream.

The following morning the Coleman 2 burner refused to fire up, it had been under a seat on the boat. No more fuel either, no water, we headed for the truck very dehydrated, so much worn out that as we paddled past an Eagle sitting on a dead tree, it was ogling us, perhaps thinking of a larger meal.

We've been back through there since and looked for 4 rods bundled together since the water is only a few feet deep, but it had been awhile and they were either found by someone else or the current/ice moved them or buried them in the mucky bottom.

First year out, Christine lost a pot by trying to throw it into the boat after a port, it bounced off the gunwale and sank quickly. Same river further upstream.

Karin

You'd think I'd have learned from 1998 when we entered the Dog River at too wide an angle and flipped. Took a chair to the bottom of Lake Superior and the dry suit that got tangled in it

Countless hats. A pole, a carbon fiber paddle (ouch). My plastic jug bailer affectionately dubbed "He-wee".

I had recently restored my first Chestnut Chum and took it down the Montreal River in Ontario. Everything was going well nice campsites,

Easy portages, well some where easy,

Nice lake travel,

Then the river travel began again,

Everything was going well. I had a Duluth Kitchen pack and used every inch of it, live and learn,

I came to a set of rapids which I lined carried and then ran. As I was approaching the pool below I looked back upstream and at that instant I hit a submerged rock. It flipped me in an instant and the canoe filled and wrapped around the bolder. I could not move the canoe, but in hindsight I probably could have saved it by removing some canvas and plank to relieve the pressure. Both inwales and gunnels where cracked beyond repair. It's easy to think of those things here in my chair, but it was pretty traumatic at the time. I let my packs float downstream into a lake below the pool and had to swim out to retrieve them, then bushwack back to a logging road in the area and wait for a ride out.

Camp furniture, food, a couple of golf clubs, Not much else really. When everything is tied into the boat we can usually get it back. The worst was on the John Day R in OR. We had to pull everything out of my friends boat, and then haul the cracked up fiberglass canoe ashore. It literally was pounded back into shape with rocks and held together with duct tape. It took 2 days of eddy shopping to retrieve most of his gear.

I haven't went swiming yet but I did have my three week old galaxy s5 slip out of my pfd pocket and land somewhere in the middle of Hempstead lake. My cousin flopped my loon 138 at lows and only lost his fishing hat. Everything else stayed in place under the decks. A few folding knives and a couple fillet knives are with Mr Jones as well. Now I dummy cord all knives being used in the canoe.

I haven't went swiming yet but I did have my three week old galaxy s5 slip out of my pfd pocket and land somewhere in the middle of Hempstead lake. My cousin flopped my loon 138 at lows and only lost his fishing hat. Everything else stayed in place under the decks. A few folding knives and a couple fillet knives are with Mr Jones as well. Now I dummy cord all knives being used in the canoe.

Good point. I’ve lost as much stuff overboard as I have upside down.

I try to make sure the usual suspects are either secured or have their own floatation. I’ve knocked at least one, maybe two, PFD rescue knives overboard and now pay closer attention to the clip security in choosing a PFD knife.

The Spirit Sail Y connectors that sink like a rock now have minicel foam floatation glued on. Spare paddles are secured in some bungee or spraycover pocket fashion. Miscellaneous at-hand items, map case and compass, hat and sunglasses when not being worn and etc are all likewise bungee secured.

If it doesn’t float I want it secured. The exceptions being my sunglasses (I can’t stand wearing Croakie straps) and the pocket digital camera. I tried tying a small foam motor-boater key ring float to the camera strap, but it made it too bulky to easily fit in a PFD pocket.

Hmm, that does give me an idea……

Edit – Well jeepers, I guess I can’t take a photo of that. I added a couple of small strips of Hi-Intensity reflective tape to the camera.

Last edited:
Wow Robin what a trip! So sad seeing that canoe wrapped around that rock, you should have warned us. At least you got out safely.
Jim

I flipped on Burnt Island lake in Algonquin a couple of years ago. Launching very quickly into a headwind, trying hard to make headway, pulling for all I was worth, three paddle strokes from shore, my double blade hit a submerged tree, and my reaction flipped me into the drink. Luckily the headwind helped a lot. I was able to push the canoe and my gear back to shore pretty easily.
Lost: nothing. Damaged beyond repair: cellphone and camera. The good news: despite it being early June the water was not very cold. Silver lining: I found out that I didn't panic. I held on to the paddle and to the canoe, assessed the situation, realized that I just needed to kick a bit back to shore. You don't really know how you'll react until it happens. I'm pretty new at all this, so I was happy the way it turned out.

A cup/baller... I was running a class II II+ river, our local run, I was in may Spark and in a flatish part of the river, I was drifting, grabbed my cup to take a drink and ended up in the drink... Lost the cup.

then bushwack back to a logging road in the area and wait for a ride out.
[/QUOTE]
yup.
we lost glasses, one shoe, a water bottle, an anorak and our pride but kept the dog and our sense of humor ( found later in the whiskey).
We returned next day and lo and behold. I found the anorak bobbing with the current. It is still watermarked with the St Regis River. xoxo

I would love to see a map of every creek, river and lake bottom. what a trove of riches.

smallworks you're right. a lot of the archaeology / material culture of the Canadian Fur Trade was figured out by archaeologists diving at tricky rapids in the French River, where canoes regularly tipped...

My worst loss occurred in 2013 trying to run a flooded river after Tropical Storm Andrea. Foolish, I know. We thought we knew the river well enough to avoid trouble, but I didn't know jack. So my boat got stuffed into a mess of snags and spent a restful 2 days before I could retrieve it. The boat was the only loss...but it was repaired and is almost as good as new now after over a grand in repairs. My phone was toast, but insured, so only a temporary loss. Lost a float bag. Paddle, wallet, bucket all recovered. All in all, considering I was able to walk away from it, I got off cheap...I was able to swim around the strainer and missed it by a couple feet.

-rs

I flipped many times while on ww day trips but only flipped a fully loaded boat on a wilderness trip once. I lost my bailer, no big deal, what hurt was I lost my bow paddler to a sprained thumb. He was inexperienced and probably grabbed the gunnels before we went over. I don't remember the details now but I'm pretty sure he was able to paddle again before the trip was over.

Back