• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

what do you wear under a dry suit during winter time?

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Now I have one too! - one of those wonderful things called "drysuit" ... (NRS GORE-TEX Pro Navigator drysuit)

Now my questions:
What is the best thing to wear under a drysuit in winter?
Is there anything to be said against wearing merino underwear in two layers under the drysuit?
Or is there something that would be even better?

What do you wear under your drysuit?

regards
Michael

I've had three drysuits. Whitewater paddling in snowmelt mountain waters from early March through late May, I used to wear various thicknesses of polypro tops, bottoms or full-length "jump suits". Polypro underwear came in a variety of brand names (Capilene, pile, Thermax, etc.) The thickness would depend on the air and water temperature. Sometimes in really cold temperatures I would wear two layers.

Even though the drysuit would keep out water, and the Goretex ones were supposedly breathable, I was always somewhat damp inside from perspiration even on cold days. Therefore, the ability of the polypro fabric to dry out overnight was an important feature.

I've never owned Merino or any other kind of wool underwear. I hear it keeps you warm when wet, but I don't know if it can air dry as fast as polypro.

thick onesies - Isn't that uncomfortable?

;)
It can get hot in the shoulder seasons. I get into this thing through the neck. It stretches out big enough for my but, and shoulders, then shrinks back to neck size. Unlike a 2-piece set up with trousers and shirt, the onesie stays put and will not bunch up. I bet it is 20 years old, still going strong. Pooping with a drysuit and onesie is a REAL ordeal.

Hello folks,

Now I have one too! - one of those wonderful things called "drysuit" ... (NRS GORE-TEX Pro Navigator drysuit)

Now my questions:
What is the best thing to wear under a drysuit in winter?
Is there anything to be said against wearing merino underwear in two layers under the drysuit?
Or is there something that would be even better?

What do you wear under your drysuit?

regards
Michael
Just a few days ago I got a notice from NRS that their Union Suits were on sale, that is what I would use if I was paddling in the "winter" but where I paddle "winter" means you have to paddle under the ice.

In early Spring I use polyester bottoms and marino wool tops.

O.K. here in Germany and explicid in the Aereas where I go to paddle there is not a such strong winter like you know, out there in northern USA ore Canada ... When we get cold here it means -10°C to -15°C some times ...

I think to try my thin merino Underwear and a layer of thicker Fleece ore sheep wool underwaer will be fine ... for the beginning.
As a beginner I have to try it out.

Last edited:
I think to try my thin merino Underwear and a layer of thicker Fleece ore sheep wool underwaer will be fine ... for the beginning.
As a beginner I have to try it out.
I think you'll be fine. I don't have a dry suit but I have come to rely on merino wool (in various thicknesses) for everything outdoors and in all seasons. I used to wear polypropylene but nothing beats wool IMO.

I wear merino wool (Smart Wool or Minus33) tops and bottoms under my drysuit. Works well. Perspiration can be an issue so insulation that works when damp and that doesn't get a funky smell is a good idea and merino wool satisfies both of these conditions.

Perspiration can be an issue so insulation that works when damp and that doesn't get a funky smell is a good idea
and merino wool satisfies both of these conditions.

That's it. I also think that merino is a better choice than synthetic functional shirts.
Simply because merino doesn't smell as quickly ... I'll try it all out and then see what works.

regards
Michael

Had a mishap on the Potomac today. Canoe flipped up by Harper's Ferry. Water temp 39 degrees. Air temp mid-50s. Wearing dry suit over Minus33 Expedition Weight merino wool base layers. I swam my boat to shore, emptied it and went on my way. It was a non-issue. Wasn't even cold swimming.Highly recommend these base layers.

Yesterday on our local river (St. George in Hope/Appleton Maine) I wore a two piece mid-weight merino wool base layer set under wool pants (tucked into socks) and a heavy wool sweater under a dry suit. My paddling buddy wore just a polypro onesie under his. He kept asking me how I was able to paddle without gloves. My top layers were a little damp when I took of the dry suit but I felt dry and warm throughout the day.

Water temp was 37, air was 39.

Last edited:
Yesterday on our local river (St. George in Hope/Appleton Maine) I wore a two piece mid-weight merino wool base layer set under wool banks (tucked into socks) and a heavy wool sweater under a dry suit. My paddling buddy wore just a polypro onesie under his. He kept asking me how I was able to paddle without gloves. My top layers were a little damp when I took of the dry suit but I felt dry and warm throughout the day.

Wool banks? Not familiar with that term. What are they?

Yesterday on our local river (St. George in Hope/Appleton Maine) I wore a two piece mid-weight merino wool base layer set under wool pants (tucked into socks) and a heavy wool sweater under a dry suit. My paddling buddy wore just a polypro onesie under his. He kept asking me how I was able to paddle without gloves. My top layers were a little damp when I took of the dry suit but I felt dry and warm throughout the day.

you just described my winter wear for most activities...

Lounge pants. AKA pajama bottoms, but if you wear them out of the house, they’re lounge pants. You can get them in fleece or in wool.

I wear my normal, quick drying, DWR pants while driving to the put in, then pull on my lounge pants as a second layer before beginning the “seven Velcro” process, which is what I call putting on my drysuit. On top I wear some combination of polypropylene and fleece, adjusted for how cold it is. The only wool I wear is in the socks. Many argue wool is the best, but I’m a believer in high quality polypro. Wool vs polypro is always an interesting topic, which I don’t mean to introduce here. I think it boils down to what works well for each person.

At times, I wear a parka on top of my outfit. I’m pretty sure this is poor practice since if I end up in the river the parka is just going to be extra weight. Drysuits are great, but inconvenient for adjusting your layering. If you dress for warmth in the morning, by noon you are overheating. My solution is dressing under the drysuit for the noontime temperature and start the day wearing the parka on top of everything. I got a size XXL parka and put it on over my PFD. Once the day warms up, the parka comes off and goes into the dry bag.

before beginning the “seven Velcro” process, which is what I call putting on my drysuit.
lol! It is a process, isn't it? Probably could be a whole other thread.

When I bought my dry suit it was such a struggle for me to get my second arm into the suit. I asked the company rep (this was a direct purchase from Ocean Rodeo) and he said, "I find it helpful to hop up and down on one leg while swearing loudly." And sure enough, that did the trick. I've gotten much more flexible since those early days: now, I can now swear silently as I hop up and down on one leg and still get my second arm into the suit. Eventually.

Back