• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

What Do You Do In Winter ?

Presently I do nothing since I was unceremoniously disemployed a month ago.

Upon ice out, Under the Dock Productions.

Karin

Sorry to hear that, Karin, as it's happened to me too. But it's very nice to see you posting here again!

I'm lucky to live in MD these days... water never freezes, and I just bought a pair of nice neoprene boots... I try to get out all winter, either camping or canoeing. It's just different than in Spring/Summer/Fall.

Growing up in central NY, I did other stuff... snow-shoeing was probably my favorite... but we also picked up cross-country and downhill skiing, sledding, building snow forts and tunnels, snowmobiling, and ice fishing... I'm not sure I could still do all of those, but the show-shoeing, snow-mobiling, and ice fishing would top the list.

I also spend more time overhauling gear in the winter... design new tarps, make mods to packs and other gear, build new tackle boxes, clean gear, start/finish other projects.

Once I get my sh** together again I will go back to learning Davinci Resolve 18 for video editing to improve my skills for next years Under the Dock series as well as another potential promo spot for a fishing camp in NW Ontario. I did videos for my friends camp for the fishing tournament and a promo video for her as well (first paying gig).
I'm organizing, getting rid of clutter, selling what I can, hope to get a ROV for next year.
Next Summer I will have a travel trailer at my friends fishing camp so I should be there for most of the Summer which means much more underwater fishy videos and I may even use one of my canoes. I haven't paddled in 2 years, have not tripped since 2017 for reasons.

I feel like here in RI I get the best of both worlds. We usually get enough snow so I can get out XC skiing a few times a year and if I want more, northern New England isn't a long drive. If the snow isn't deep enough to ski, it is usually not too deep for a quick hike...I do all my hiking between November and April. I also spend time cutting and splitting firewood for the following winter, or brewing beer. And on the flip side, it is not usually so cold or snowy that I can't get in at least one paddle every month. I'm closing in on 4 years of paddling at least once a month on consecutive months. I have yet to need to resort to driving south or heading to coastal waters to get my month's paddle in so far, even in January and February which are typically the toughest months to find a good day with open water.

No snow so far this year, but all the weathermen are salivating at the prospect of a snowy winter here in southern New England.

-rs

I camp, ice fish, hike, work on projects, before I developed leg and heart problems I'd ski and snowshoe too. I hate heat and don't camp or hike in summer so my outdoor season up here in the "great white north" only starts in mid September and ends in May...

I like to work in my small heated shop on canoes and gear during the winter. One of the reasons I enjoy wood canvas canoes so much is this off season activity, refinishing trim work or making small repairs, repairing and building gear helps pass the long winters here in Maine.
This year is a little different and I haven’t been in the shop much, but I hope to be back in there soon.
G0053071.jpeg

I paddle...like today on the Lake of Thoune. The lake doesn't get frozen solid at least not in recent winters. Sometimes there's ice along the shores that limits access to soft water
IMG_1857.JPG
or I do hikes in the woods, or I go backcountry skiing (walking up with skins on the skis and ski down)
IMG_1411.JPG
or spend a few days in the hut up in the mountains
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG

Aslowhand,
Wow, I'm jealous. I'm assuming your in the Swiss Alps? And above tree line, nice.
Here in NYS, my favorite BC ski spot might get 8 or 10 ft all season. Every once in a while, we get 3 or 4 ft over the course of a few days.
Here I am at a little hill in MA that we can car shuttle bottom to top. It took me a lifetime to develop these skills and style.

ADCreHci9RiwCx3Y7v6gVJiVqzpvkU1H_o7JPcmWaQTh-xCCYVVXIsfw95kHiUMtnWZhIeFOZahNtmcvfrXi1llkMReVedx9ttlpVOB87AHFDZnjXIdzbt8PJxakOiVZPZI0_tmuV030H340SulobkOOEdJdZw=w1123-h868-s-no

I like to work in my small heated shop on canoes and gear during the winter. One of the reasons I enjoy wood canvas canoes so much is this off season activity, refinishing trim work or making small repairs, repairing and building gear helps pass the long winters here in Maine.
This year is a little different and I haven’t been in the shop much, but I hope to be back in there soon.
View attachment 138260
I hope everything works the way it should and you are back in the shop soon. Jim needs to see again your model of neatness in a shop. He has been "cleaning" for months!

Wow, I'm jealous. I'm assuming your in the Swiss Alps? And above tree line, nice.
Here in NYS, my favorite BC ski spot might get 8 or 10 ft all season. Every once in a while, we get 3 or 4 ft over the course of a few days.
Here I am at a little hill in MA that we can car shuttle bottom to top. It took me a lifetime to develop these skills and style.

ADCreHci9RiwCx3Y7v6gVJiVqzpvkU1H_o7JPcmWaQTh-xCCYVVXIsfw95kHiUMtnWZhIeFOZahNtmcvfrXi1llkMReVedx9ttlpVOB87AHFDZnjXIdzbt8PJxakOiVZPZI0_tmuV030H340SulobkOOEdJdZw=w1123-h868-s-no
You are right. I live close to the Swiss Alps. The pictures of the hut was taken about five years ago after a big snowstorm passed through.
Stripperguy I'm impressed by your skiing skills and style. What an example of elegance combined with pure force and bravery:ROFLMAO:. I'm old fashioned and try to keep my body upright....I will never reach your level...I'm jealous.
Thanks for the chuckle!!!!
André

Last edited:
Haha,
I hoped everyone would enjoy a peek at that oops!
There was a little over 30" of fresh in that rolling meadow, with a section of it firmly windpacked.
You couldn't discern the windpacked from the light powder by sight, only by feel.
BTW, I was a slow learner, as I tumbled twice as I plowed into that windpack,
That pic was a still frame plucked from my buddy's GoPro video...

In early winter, late fall I use my winter camp as a base for deer hunting.

It is so nice to have fresh bread, hot coffee and warm venison stew out in the timber. Now that deer season is over, Jake and I will spend a lot of our time at winter camp ... until about March or April and then wood production is in full swing.
20231118_163532.jpg20231117_162515.jpg20231117_134610.jpg

I'm lucky to live in MD these days... water never freezes, and I just bought a pair of nice neoprene boots... I try to get out all winter, either camping or canoeing. It's just different than in Spring/Summer/Fall.

Growing up in central NY, I did other stuff... snow-shoeing was probably my favorite... but we also picked up cross-country and downhill skiing, sledding, building snow forts and tunnels, snowmobiling, and ice fishing... I'm not sure I could still do all of those, but the show-shoeing, snow-mobiling, and ice fishing would top the list.

I also spend more time overhauling gear in the winter... design new tarps, make mods to packs and other gear, build new tackle boxes, clean gear, start/finish other projects.
I grew up in Maryland. I remember when the Bay used to freeze. People would be out ice skating miles from shore. Not smart but common. We played a lot of ice hockey on frozen lakes and ponds. The C&O Canal made a great hockey rink. One year powerlines were down for a week. The neighbors burned some of their furniture. We used coal bought from the hardware store.

If it's too cold/icy for paddling but there's not enough (or any) snow cover for snowshoeing, I sometimes head out on a road bike. I hate winter rain, and cold weather afterwards when the ground is bare is just offensive, but it does clear the pavement. Maybe this post is off topic since this isn't real winter.

This is a spot in Old Town, ME that I've paddled by dozens of times. I love composite canoes and aluminum gunwhales, but for bike frames I prefer steel.
IMG_20231119_121126.jpg

Gilman Falls?

Benson
Exactly. This is the view to the right from the same spot. For people who haven't been there, it's a nice access point / park, although I ususally put in on Pushaw Stream. Gilman Falls has been somewhat dam raised, although natural rapids remain (w/nasty holes). Portage trail about where I'm standing. The Old Town factory is a mile or two to the east.

IMG_20231119_121014.jpg

I thought so, the granite blocks have arrived since I was bicycling (with a Reynolds 531 frame) and paddling there regularly. Gilman Falls has always been a very special place to me for a number of reasons. My great-great-grandfather moved there in 1834 when he was 24 to build and manage a saw mill. It was featured on the cover of the Old Town Canoe catalog in 1977 showing the other side of the old access bridge and some of the holes you mentioned.

Benson

large-77.jpg

Last edited:
Back