• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

What are your favorite accessories when paddling?

Quality craft beer in cans.

Also, I just recently began using those bungy deelie-bob things to wrap around thwarts that I then clip a carabiner to...makes a great quick-release way to secure odd items in the boat that I may want to get at quickly.

-rs

"The more you know, the less you take." -- Mors Kochanski

I interpret the topic as not including the normal things one takes in general outdoor and camping activities, such as clothing, climate protection, first aid, food, drink, cooking gear, shelter items, and appropriate sized packs and sacks. I further interpret the question as accessories for use specifically in the canoe, other than the obvious things such as PFD, paddles and painter ropes.

I really can't think of much even though I'm far from Mors Kochanski. On trips I'm not familiar with, I take my mapping GPS; and I sometimes take it on familiar trips just to measure time and distance. Since I have a PLB, I take it not only on overnight trips but often on day trips, especially where cell coverage is non-existent or weak.

Camera that does not break the budget. I've gotten good eagle and loon shots from the canoe. Can't do it as easily on land
Meh. Sun? Rain hat and jacket for windbreaker
I don't worry much about the sun in Maine or Canada when the temps top out at 70'
It's 44 now.

Two bicycle handlebar water bottle cages and bottles. And two SealLine Seal Packs modified to use as a bow bag and thwart bag for the stern paddler. We use these items for day paddles and only the bow bag for tripping.

As jm0278 mentioned, those Nite-Ize gear ties (giant rubber coated twist ties) are great for securing a paddle.

Those cheap ball compasses can be mounted closer. Under the front thwart works. One advantage of the bow mount is that if you drive a car that has no compass-like me, you can see the canoe compass when the canoe is on the car. Although they don't work well inside a car ,up above must be far enough away for them to work ok. You need to glue them(goop works) the suction wont hold them.

Crazy Creek canoe seat. I really like it.

Second on the CCcs. I bought a set a few years ago, then bought a set of Duluth Canvas Seats, I gave the CCcs to a lady friend and then figured out they were better and weighed a lot less. I bought a new set at the Algonquin Portage Store this summer

...those Nite-Ize gear ties (giant rubber coated twist ties) are great for securing a paddle.

Just finished trying them out. I bought two of the 12" loopable gear ties and they seem to work ok. The loop secures the tie to the thwart, so that's one and done. The loose end then wraps around the paddle shaft a bit more than 1-1/2 times which seemed to hold ok hoisting the canoe up into portage position and down a couple times. I'm a little concerned the paddle may work loose when actually walking with it. I may buy a second set of 24" loopable gear ties so I can either get more loops around the paddle shaft or just wrap the thwart and paddle shaft with the loose end. I'm very happy with the loopable version, but I really wish they came in an 18" length instead of just 12" or 24".

canoe-pinup.jpg

Back