• Happy National Drink Beer Day! 🍺→🚽→🤪

What are you reading?

Reaction score
Mike Hurley and I did a few trips together, ADKs, Temagami, LaVerendrye. We got along well, what do they say, kindred spirits. He carried a lot of gear which he set up for photos to be used in his quarterly “Hurleys Journal”. He paddled a 15’ wood canvas Chemun, used a big heavy “campfire tent”, open with no floor, big heavy tripod for hanging a cast iron pot, guitar ( he only knew one song, “Mommas, don’t let your babies grow up to be Cowboys”). Nice guy, fond memories, we still keep in touch.
View attachment 132365View attachment 132366
I really miss that journal. It was well-written with interesting articles and stories.

Reaction score
I've been a steady reader for years but fell off the wagon about 6 months ago and can't seem to get back on. It prompted me to finally try audio books. What really brought this about was a road trip with a couple young boys so I found an audio book I thought would appeal to them and it was a hit so I decided to try for myself.

Animal Farm, which I've read a couple times previously, was good.

Fahrenheit 451, which I hadn't read before, was a disappointment and left me wondering if it was the book itself or just the reader that I didn't care for.

Heart of Darkness, which I've also read a couple times before, was fantastic. I enjoyed it more than reading the book for myself.

I've been listening on my way to/from work as well as on my lunch hour when I park on some vacant land I own while I eat and the dog sniffs around. I'll try some more titles and hope it continues to go well. I'm using a free App available from our local library so there is no cost involved. The only downside is limited titles available and having to wait in line for more popular ones.

Alan

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
finally try audio books

I've never tried audio books. I can see their usefulness if you're driving or not in a position to read. But, comparatively, wouldn't reading be a lot faster than listening to reading?

I'm using a free App . . . . The only downside is limited titles available and having to wait in line for more popular ones.

Why would there be a waiting line for downloadable digital books? Just curious.

Reaction score
Having unlimited internet and limited phone data means I rely on YT for audio books. There's quite the variety to choose from. We often fire up the laptop in the front room whilst sitting in the kitchen with the bluetooth speaker cooking, eating supper well into the evening.
We used to love radio plays many years ago but that seems to be extinct. My son has recommended trying podcasts but I much prefer stories. Currently my wife and I enjoy easy listening like James Herriot or detective stuff such as M.C.Beaton or the Inspector Maigret series, also there's mysteries on Bitesized Audio Classics. However a favourite story genre of mine (not hers) is gothic horror, kinda like spooky ghost stories from the past. No blood and guts with chainsaws stuff (lol), just mystery and suspense, by authors Arthur Conan Doyle and M.R. James etc.
Here's a shortlist of my favourites:
HorrorBabble - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIvp_SM7UrKuFgR3W77fWcg
Encrypted Horror - https://www.youtube.com/c/EnCryptedClassicHorror/videos
Classic Ghost Stories Podcasts - https://www.youtube.com/c/TonyWalker2021/videos
Bitesized Audio Classics - https://www.youtube.com/c/BitesizedAudioClassics/videos

I enjoy Tony Walker's channel for the story content (he also writes) but also for his post reading discussion of everything under the sun from story lines and tropes to the author, his own thoughts on story ideas etc. It feels like being a member of a book club. I like that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aside from occasional evening audios I/we devour books in our spare time. Usually I stockpile books for the long winter nights but I haven't been able to hide them well enough. I'll need to revisit Sarum by Edward Rutherford as it was a long thorough dive into the history of Salisbury (England); reading like an epic novel but packed with so much detail going beyond the anecdotal. Language, customs, economies, architecture, religion(s), politics etc. I'm halfway thru Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. A heavy volume filled with stories within stories. His wry, biting, satirical humour is timeless. I'm 2 books into the Rivers Of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, which is a very adult mix of murder detective and Harry Potter type fantasy. Blood and sex, gore and wizardry, told by a Londoner full of inside jokery of and about that part of the world. I crash read The Commitments by Roddy Doyle the other night. Fun heady stuff about a collection of good-fer-nothings who are herded together to form a band; their manager insists they delve into the heart of good ol' rock n' roll - soul music. Of course like all good things it doesn't last, but what a ride!! Ha. It's been hit and miss finding books in the "Chocolat" series by Joanne Harris, about the sometimes mystic goings on in a small French village, so far The Strawberry Thief, Peaches For Monsieur Le Cure. They won't last till winter. One that will is Vesper Flights by Helen Macdonald. I'll read it together with her H is For Hawk.

Last edited: