• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

What are you reading?

Far Appalachia- Following the New River North by Noah Adams. It is about the history, people, places and the New River from headwaters to its confluence with the Kanawha River.

In eager anticipation of the forthcoming winter camping season, I'm re-reading The Winter Wilderness Companion by Garrett & Alexandra Conover. I regard it as a must-read for any who are interested in winter camping. Any others here into winter camping?

Cheers,
-Martin

In between guide books, recipe books for the backwoods, craft books, I've read The Saga of Hugh Glass (Myers), Canoeing with the Cree (Severied), and listend to Into Thin Air on audiobook. I can't remember the author at the moment, but it is a true story written first hand about a summit of K2.

The Hugh Glass saga was a tough read at times but had some good sections and interesting historical references. Canoing with the Cree....great book I've read it several times now. I drive a lot so listen to audio books on occasion. I recommned it for long solo trips in a car. I listened to Into Thin Air coming home from BWCA in the spring. Its a 23 hour drive and it kept me going for some time since the dog is a lump for days after, not much of a conversationalist anyways. Listening to an audio book in Tollanois between Chicago and into Indiana can be tough.....its riddled with toll booths to interupt your mojo.

Barry

Finlay's River and Trail to the Interior. Two more RM Patterson books. He is known for Dangerous Waters (Nahanni), but the Trail to the Interior is a read about the Stikine Dease Cassiar area of British Columbia. We spent some time there this summmer car camping.. Its mind boggling that the 100 mile long dirt road of terror and mindboggling dropoffs is such an historic route. Yet almost all of the area remains as in the book..remote..not untouched but the touchers had and have to this day a hard time.

"The Lost Canoe" by Lawrence Coady; an account of his search of a long forgotten route into the Labrador interior, for a canoe cached during a Pritchard exploration in the early 1900's. The rigours of his repeated attempts leave you both excited and exhausted.
"Daylight in the Swamp" by Selwyn Dewdney; mostly an autobiography of his early years growing up in the Kenora area, where he formed his love and appreciation for the boreal landscape. A "boy's life" type of book, that inspires optimism and zeal for the northern experience. I bought the book to learn more of his documenting Ojibway rock art, but sadly the author passed away before he could fully describe this fascinating aspect of his life.

Finished the master's degree this past December and can finally 'pleasure read' again... so what have I been reading? more history... Just finished "Leap of Faith" by Queen Noor of Jordan/Lisa Halaby (more middle east history), and Len Deighton's "Blood, Sweat, and Folly", which covers some interesting points from WW2, but without being chronologically boring (e.g., the role of science in both the British and German war efforts). I am also spending more time re-reading my favorite parts of books by classic woods authors like Kephart, Miller, Fordyce, Breck, and Kreps.

I'd like to get hold of "Lost in the Taiga", which covers the story of a Russian family who fled religious persecution under Stalin. They were "old believers", whose religion dates back to about the 16th century. they fled to Siberia and weren't found until the late 70s. amazing story. Smithsonian magazine had the article that got me interested.

Indian chiefs of Pennsylvania, great non fiction old history from Penns days through the French and Indian war. Wennawoods is publisher. Ravenwolf;

I hope you enjoy it Robin. I really enjoyed reading about his youth in those small northern places. His paddling forays were fascinating. His trips with his wife were also "of another time" type of travels, they made me feel like the southern softie I am. I found this book while exploring myccr records for rock art periodicals, books etc. How Dewdney got into his research and recording trips is interesting also. While I may not embrace them, I respect other religions for what they provide in our material world, and find native spiritual history and legends particularly fascinating. It's sad to see how much history has been lost, so quickly. Like I said, this interesting chapter of Dewdney's life in this book were cut short far too soon.

I have almost all of Calvin Rutstrum's books except for "Way of the Wilderness" (not the later "New Way of the Wilderness, which is very good imo). Last year I found "Challenge of the Wilderness" and payed too much for it, but I'm not the only one looking for these books on eBay and the price jumps fast.

I have seen "Way of the Wilderness" listed for $100, so when I saw a nice copy for a "buy it now" price of around $50 recently, I gave it some thought, and I think I thought a little too long cause someone snatched it up right away.

I keep looking and hope to get lucky someday.

I found an old copy of - I don't recall which book title - by Sigurd Olson in an antiques market recently. It was listed for $70.
Given that I'd like to have several of his books, it seemed a little expensive to start off a Sigurd Olson home collection with.
For all I know, it may have been a bargain. I have several very incomplete collections of favourite authors, but this might be one I'll simply have to borrow from a library. Having a prized volume is wonderful though, as you can just pluck it from the shelf on any quiet wintry evening.

Brad, go to Amazon.com and l look up Sigurd Olson. I only looked at the first page of results, but the majority of the results I saw were in the neighborhood of $7-8, some were only a couple of dollars and some were fourteen or fifteen dollars. There were also collectible editions that were lots more, but if you just want an ok copy, you should be fine.

No problem, Brad. :)

Robin, I puttered around for a few minutes and found a copy for $65, but I couldn't copy the URL as the page kept making my iPad close the bowser. (I think it wanted to play Need for Speed rather than look for books. It's like that sometimes...). I went to Google and typed "way of the wilderness" -not rutstrum and the book was second or third. There may be more, I didn't look too hard. But more intriguing, if it's the content you want, rather than a physical book, one of the first five links was to the Hathitrust, which is a bunch of big libraries trying to protect and save stuff (I'm sure the mission and goals are classier than that, but...). Anyway, I clicked on the link that said something like "view" and a reader opened, and there were all the pages. It didn't ask me for any credentials, it just opened up. I know its not the same as having a book in hand, but maybe at will help you.

Why yes, I am a librarian. :)

Pringles

Thanks Pringles, The book, "Way of the Wilderness" has a leather carrying case, it was like a how to book for scouts from what I have read, anyway, the one I passed up had a really nice case and that's too bad I let it go.
I'll have a look over at Google and see what's there, Thanks.

Btw, all my Rustrum books are used, some old library books, others have personal notes in them, one has red underlines by the PO throughout. I might have got that for 50 cents. Most of my books have been bought used, otherwise I couldn't afford them.

About all i'm reading these days is stuff for my military history masters... finally down to just 2 courses, one on the Balkans, and one on the Caucasus. Currently reading "waging modern war" by general wesley clark. I graduate in December, so then i can get back to the outdoor stuff... my wife's been buying me some of the old classis stuff. last one was "The Forest" by Stewart Edward White. quaint, with some good woodcraft skills.

Sir, I feel your pain. I don't focus on military history, but I'm taking a seminar on Europe and there isn't really anything else to read about except the wars. The non-school stuff includes Canoeing in Kanuckia (Charles Ledyard Norton), The Lunatic Express (Carl Hoffman), and the Malazan book of the Fallen. The first is a 19th century account of canoeing. The second is a tale of a journalist's trip around the world using local transportation. The last is a fantasy series written by two writers trained in archeology and anthropology. It's a sweeping tale of war and civilization. Plus it has magic and dragons...no canoes though.

Daniel

Back