• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

What are you reading?

Black-Fly,

A couple of months ago I tried reading Finnegans Wake, the classic work by James Joyce. But I wasn’t up to it. The book is unique, I think, in the literal sense of the word. I once heard it said that it’s the most famous book never read completely by anyone. Have you considered or encountered this book, that took Joyce 19 years to write? It’s not new, but maybe new to you. It could be fiction, I think. Or perhaps just an intellectual challenge.

Last edited:
Black-Fly,

A couple of months ago I tried reading Finnegans Wake, the classic work by James Joyce. But I wasn’t up to it. The book is unique, I think, in the literal sense of the word. I once heard it said that it’s the most famous book never read completely by anyone. Have you considered or encountered this book, that took Joyce 19 years to write? It’s not new, but maybe new to you. It could be fiction, I think. Or perhaps just an intellectual challenge.
I fall asleep too easily for Joyce. I’ve got several books on my reader that I can’t get through a page. Some great stuff too. My brain is just not up to it anymore.

A decent fictional book I enjoyed was "The Corps" by W.E.B. Griffin. It's a 10 book series about the Untied States Marine Corps before and during the years of world war 2 and the Korean War.

I just finished “The Boys in the Boat” on Audible. While not about canoeing, per se, it was a gripping true story. It may very well be on one of the other reading lists. First published in 2013 and a long time best seller. Entertaining and inspirational. Highly recommended. (It is about sculling- pretty close to canoeing!)

I'm going to merge the 12 posts in this thread into the long-running What are you reading? thread because it's duplicative.

I broke a self-imposed exile from the used book stores. After all, the gentleman who runs my favourite small town book store is retiring this year. It took no effort to convince my wife to stop in to this gem in "the prettiest small town in Ontario". So says the tourist brochures. They do have a point, but gems can be lost more easily than found. I will support most any mom & pop small business. It's unfortunate none in his family are willing to take on the monumental task of keeping this store going. But he's earned his days in the sun. I was hoping to catch him behind the till to offer my thanks and best wishes, but that will have to wait till another visit.
My wife and I both came away clutching bundles of books. She is well away into her reading, as am I. I'm escaping nightly to County Down Northern Ireland following An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor. Although set in the 60's just outside Belfast during the Troubles the story sees the broad strokes of life amidst the changes sweeping society in that part of the world.
I've also developed an appreciation for my own GP. lol

Thanks to those who responded. Finding old posts can be difficult, but I did find some gems and downloaded them. Reading isn’t as easy as it once was, and a good story helps me stay in the game. I used to read non-fiction, but it’s difficult now. I have several good books started which likely will never be finished.

Thanks to those who responded. Finding old posts can be difficult, but I did find some gems and downloaded them. Reading isn’t as easy as it once was, and a good story helps me stay in the game. I used to read non-fiction, but it’s difficult now. I have several good books started which likely will never be finished.
Have you tried audio books available at many libraries. They are great on road trips.

Back