• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wenonah Wilderness vs Prospector 15

Reaction score
I have been browsing this site for information for a while. Thank you. This place is a treasure and so few forums have survived.

I came upon a query that I could not really find an answer to, yet. I had basically settled on a prospector 15 depending on what I could find. I was researching flat water boats specs (my first priority) on the Wenonah Site and I started looking at other Wenonah's and saw the Wilderness. Would anyone here have experience in both boats? How do they compare? Do they compare? On paper it seems like they "could".

As a conversation starter; for me this boat would be to supplement a 1980s era Mad River Explorer that (unfortunately) the three of us and the dog can't all pile into for C1,C2 river trips. I solo it on fishing trips of the same grade. Be nice to start bringing the dog with us again too.

I don't have experience with the Prospector, but I do with the Wilderness. I think it tracks a little better than the Prospector would, but it is definitely fine for C1 or C2 as long as playing isn't a priority.

So you feel like the Wilderness would run reasonably well in class 2. Catch an Eddie to scout, ferries...I am looking at the Wilderness for access to the T formex build. What k8nd of a load can the Wilderness take? I thought that would be the trade, load for speed.

The runs this boat will live on are basically pool drop and I solo the MR like I said. That can be fun but not a play boat. I am generally stopping at each drop anyway to fish.

I have a Wilderness and I do a lot of tripping and whitewater in it. I actually do some C3 in it, but only in front country canoe races where the risk is low. It's definitely fine for C2 and easy enough to turn for crowded / technical runs.

I weigh 190# and tripping with 30-50# of gear it's happy. With a glamping load (280?) it feels a bit lumbering, still secure but not "fun to drive".

I haven't paddled Wenonah's Prospector, but it's definitely a bigger boat. I think @PaddlingPitt has one, maybe he can comment.

280 is probably less than me and my fishing gear weigh. That is probably off the list.

I messed up shopping for a flat water cruiser. The composite boats are so freaking sexy when compared to an RX boat! I am looking for a nice balance of portability and super-comfy river travel. I am leaning toward something in the "tuff" layups at this point and the budget is going up! I have (hopefully) a Prism coming next weekend if the test paddle goes well. It is in the tuff-weave layup so I will see that it is like. If it seems bomber it might sway the decision to some type of "expedition layup". I truly appreciate all of the information. I saw that video of the "naked" tuff stuff Nova Craft on "KC Happy Camper" youtube the other day. That thing was a good looking boat! Maybe if I hold off everyone will start doing that!

Back