• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wenonah Sliding Seat

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows what Wenonah's standard measurement is for their sliding rails? If I remember correctly the spacing between the 2 runners in their seats is 6" center line. But I can not remember how wide the 2 tubes need to be for the sliding part.

The only Wenonah with a sliding seat I have is a tandem Spirit II. If that fits what you need measurements for I can measure it tonight.

Lance

I’ve been able measure a couple other boats for anyone interested.
Minnesota 3 Bow seat 13” center.
D9DC4ECD-A723-4B43-BE3A-C26562FFE4E0.jpeg

Then a Wenonah Mixer Bow seat 11.5” center.

D32DD28F-0B6F-4305-BD16-AEB30FCFB13D.jpeg

So guessing there may not be a “standard” just depends all on which boat you have. Because even the Mixer stern seat is more narrow than the bow. More like the pedestal seats are made.

Just adding some information from Wenonah.

Hello Clint Sutherland,
On 1/24/2023 you wrote the following on our website contact form:​

Good afternoon! I know this might be an odd question. But if I was to order a standard aluminum sliding seat rails. That I would install in an aluminum canoe. What would be the center to center spacing between the rails? Just trying to get an idea of how wide the area would be for my legs. Thank you, Clint

Our reply to your inquiry:​

Hi Clint, Our seat frames vary based on the width of the canoe at the bow. Each canoe is different. It comes down to how wide the bow is where the two slide tubes contact the hull. Unfortunately, we're unable to sell seat frames at this time due to ongoing shortages of materials and labor. We do hope to be able to sell them again sometime later this spring. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. Best wishes, Wenonah Canoe

This is unfortunately so prevalent in so many industrial enterprises, mom & pop stores, supermarkets, restaurants, and many other places in the economy.
Yes Sir. I usually order Wenonah foot braces but they have have been out since last spring. So I've been making my own along with my own sliding seat frames and pedestals. I was going to make another patch of frames and wanted to standardize the size to what they have for what is generally put in a Texas rigged aluminum canoe. But it sounds like it really doesn't matter. I'll just stick to what I've been making. They are comfortable and already have a jig setup. This time for the foot brace I'll set up and make a few this go around.

Just adding some information from Wenonah.

ongoing shortages of materials and labor.
Last year I was repairing my kayak and needed pop rivets with large flanges to reinstall the seat. CD told me the same thing, they couldn’t spare the parts due to supply chain issues. Yet, when I looked on Amazon, there were several sources and I had the needed rivets the next day.

My thought was, what they were really saying was “we are making and selling boats as fast as we can and it isn’t worth our time and effort to mess around with your piddling order.” Hopefully, my impression was incorrect, but that was my thought.

My thought was, what they were really saying was “we are making and selling boats as fast as we can and it isn’t worth our time and effort to mess around with your piddling order.” Hopefully, my impression was incorrect, but that was my thought.
Yea...Not sure what Wenonah is doing. I'm sure that their demand load has something to do with it. Some of their parts have been out for a year or more. And when they do come back in stock the price has gone up. Which is fine to whatever they need to do. I've found alternate ways to deal with it.

Thanks for the link. $47 to ship a $12 item, so I'll probably keep looking. I really only need about 18" of it.

Mark
Try a local hardware store. They usually have a rack of aluminum stock in short lengths. I've used that option many times.

Alan

I guess I’ll drop this here to kind of cap this thread off. And I’ll start another one for the rigging of the canoes. This weekend I started on the sliding seats for 4 aluminum canoes that will be rigged for the Texas Water Safari. After looking at a few other boats sliding seats and emailing Wenonah it looks like there is not set width for the rails. So I stayed with my 16" center to center that I have done in the past. Using 6063 .058 wall aluminum tubing for all the framing. I had been cutting the pieces where they stacked like logs and just welded at the contact points. But this time I butt welded the 1" cross tubbing into the 1.25" sliders. Find a center line.
6406537F-1B3E-42D1-AD61-ADEC730CAFF2.jpeg
29903CAF-963A-416B-BA74-48EBFAD2DDC2.jpeg
9B7CB953-321A-4928-8E19-57D334F734B0.jpeg
Nothing pretty but should get the job done.

B2BD9940-8186-488D-9867-AE8C57E74154.jpegHad some of the other parts already cut so I brought one of the canoes in and started laying out the pieces. All the insides will get gutted and then replaced with what is needed.
83E2A5EA-43B8-4DFA-8BAD-EE8F1C0C4285.jpeg
5D3F767F-4A94-47E4-B871-221923E6FC7F.jpeg

Back