• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Wenonah/Oscoda 14' solo

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Wenonah/Oscoda 14' solo? My understanding is that is a DY design, in fiberglass. Perhaps 20 years old.
Thx.
Fuzz

I do not believe DY ever designed for Wenonah.. Oscoda is the economical layer in the Sawyer lineup.. Not as far as I know anything at all to do with Wenonah. The 14 is the longer version of the 13 which DY did indeed design for Sawyer.
https://paddling.com/reviews/product/sawyer-canoes-oscoda-solo-13-canoe/

dont overload it. Its way more than 20 years old. Closer to 30 .. Mid '80's and it is glass.

I don't recall Wenonah having anything called an Oscoda. But Sawyer did have an Oscoda line, which I believe was their lower end boats. Some Sawyer solos (and maybe tandems) were designed by David Yost but I don't know that any of the Oscadas were.

Alan

I am pretty sure he did Alan. Trying to remember some past conversations with DY. He had a slew of solos and tandems he designed for Sawyer in the 80's.

I am pretty sure he did Alan. Trying to remember some past conversations with DY. He had a slew of solos and tandems he designed for Sawyer in the 80's.

Yost designs for Sawyer (per CEW):

Autumn Mist, StarLight, DY Special, SummerSong, ShockWave, Solo 13/Coda, X-17, 190 Cruiser, 222 Cruiser, Legend.

I don’t know what models Sawyer may have produced in the heavier glass mat Oscoda line. The Solo 13 is one possibility, given some seller’s inability to measure (or even estimate) the length of a canoe.

The DY Sawyer list was from a Charlie Wilson post I copied of all of the (then) DY designs for various mannfacturers. I do wish Ihad copied more of Charlie’s info about canoe history, makes & models, layups and etc.

Here’s the list I copied, missing anything after 2009. Anyone care to update?

DY's Commercially produced hulls as of June 09

Tubbs: [1] Minuteman

Curtis: [10] Solo tripper, Vagabond, Nomad, MayFly, LadyBug, BlueGill, DragonFly, Companion, NorthStar, CrossFire II.

Sawyer: 10] Autumn Mist, StarLight, DY Special, SummerSong, ShockWave, Solo 13/Coda, X-17, 190 Cruiser, 222 Cruiser, Legend.

Loon Works:[11] Pal, Duet, My Bug, Wee Bug, Mistral, My Toy, Button, Solitaire, Nakoma, Allegro, Aria.

Swift [10 canoes] Heron, Loon, Algonquin 16, Otter, Kewayden, Outfitters 15, 16, 17, Prospector, Kewaydin II.
[13 Kayaks] Classic 12, 13.5, Adirondack 10LY,12, 12LT, 13.6, Saranac 14LT, 14LV, 14 Spt, 14.5, Kiwasee 12.6LV, 12.6, 13.2.

Perception [6] Spectrum, Spectrum S, Prism, Keewee 2, Carolina [2]

Bell: [26] BuckTail, Magic, Merlin II, RobRoy 12, RobRoy 15, FlashFire, WildFire, YellowStone Solo RX, StarFire, NorthWoods, NorthStar, NorthWind, MorningStar, MorningStar RX, NorthWind RX, BackWater, Mystic, Prodigy, Prodigy X, YellowStone Solo, Nexus, Alaska, Companion, Prospector, NorthShore.

Hemlock [4 from Curtis plugs] Kestrel, Peregrine, Eagle, Eaglet.

Placid boatworks [6] StarFire, FlashFire, WildFire, SpitFire, RapidFire, un-named Tandem Pack

Sawyer IV [4] Shockwave, SummerSong,Autumn Mist, Solo 13 [Sawyer II and III never really counted.]

And the 09 C-4 6mm Magnum makes 102 hulls from 12 manufacturers, 7 of whom are still in business! Please note when a model moves to a new manufacturer I'm counting it again. Without these doubles the number is 91 different designs produced.

+++

Edit: I hope Charlie doesn’t mind my reposting that list.

Some of the old Oscoda line.
Solo 13 (13 foot 1 inch)
Sport 16 (16 feet)
Family 17 (17 feet)
TS-13 (13 feet), TS-16 (16 feet), TS-18 (18 feet)

That is by no means all; I have seen an Oscoda Loon, so I am sure there are other Oscoda’ed models. I think at one point in the late 80’s early 90’s Sawyer offered half their catalog in the Oscoda line

Last edited:
I thought I had that list but my computer ate it.. Thanks Mike
Placid add ons: Ohneka ( the tandem pack canoe) Shadow ( screamer single. Designed for the 90 miler 16 feet long)

Keewaydin 14 15 and now the 18.5

Colden now has the Nomad, DragonFly and Fires but Paul is using the same design molds as before.

At one time I had a Canoe Journal that listed all the DY hulls.. Can't find that. My bookcase is somewhat cleaner though.

No Title

Well folks once again you have responded with spot-on information. Thank you!
I paddled the boat this evening and in fact, it is not a 14' Wenonah/Oscoda solo as it was advertised. But, you already knew that. Rather, it was a 13'-2" Sawyer/Oscoda '86 Solo. Nice boat, in good shape for its age, handled nicely, but alas, not large enough for my wife and her 50# dog. Sawyer's cut sheet (attached) does say that its a DY design. Nice boat for someone. Just too small for our needs.
The seller (a very nice gent) also let me paddle his Wenonah/Advantage. The water was a bit choppy and it wasn't set up for me, but I could tell it was fast and stable. Very nice boat. Thank you Paul.

Attachments

• photo6694.JPG
    photo6694.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 2
It takes a community to solve a mystery. And we love mysteries! More common than we think or hope for, sellers often don't know what they have especially when its been in the house so to speak for a while.

Back