• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Help choosing my next used solo...

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've been scouring the used market for a new-to-me solo for a while (located in Southern Tier of NY but willing to travel ~200 miles). I currently paddle an Esquif Adirondack (my first solo), but I feel like I'm outgrowing it. I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun paddling it over the past 1.5 years, but a 12' flat-bottomed canoe has its limitations. I mostly do day paddles on the local rivers (Susquehanna and Chenango--paddling upstream for a couple hours and then turning around and paddling back), but I sometimes paddle on the Finger Lakes and in the Adirondacks, and I want to do some shorter multi-day trips. I also sometimes bring a fishing rod, but it's not a priority. I'm basically looking for versatility, but a step up, performance wise, from the Esquif. Something with a vaguely touring orientation.

Here are some of the boats I'm considering:
- Mad River Slipper in fiberglass, excellent condition ($900)
- Nova Craft Fox 14 in tuffstuff, hardly used, perfect condition ($1,100)
- Mad River Independence in Fiberglass, very good condition, new ash inwhales and outwhales, thwarts, and butternut end caps ($900)

Do any of you great folks have advice? Try to jump on one of these? Wait for something else? Thanks!

- Bonpawtuck

I'll just chime in on the three you mentioned, as recommendations for others will be endless:

MR Slipper: Nice canoe, but has been listed for a long time without movement on price. Old fiberglass solos are a hard sell, everyone wants Kevlar, Carbon or Innegra. IMHO should be listed at $750 and be happy to take $650
Nova Craft Fox 14: Again, nice canoe, but if your only experience has been the ADK, the Fox is very tender. Definitely wouldn't want to cast a line out of it. Good price, though.
MR Independence: One of my favorite solos, sorry I sold mine. But, listed a long time, no movement on price, and is not original, wood has been replaced. The only canoe of the three that would be suitable for multi-day trips. I would say the same as the Slipper, should be listed at $750 and happy to take $650.

Just my $.02, but I would hold out for something else, or wait for some movement on price.

Agree with pricing advice from M.
No experience with the Fox but I would take the Indy over the Slipper…newer design, room for camping gear, better performance. If you can portage the weight that would be my choice.
Of course it depends on your size and weight. If you are short and light the Slipper may be a better fit. Always paddle before you buy if possible.

Thanks for the advice, both. I can test paddle the Fox, so I'm going to start there (it's too good of a deal to pass up if I like the boat).

Thanks for the advice, both. I can test paddle the Fox, so I'm going to start there (it's too good of a deal to pass up if I like the boat).
The pics show the seat is set pretty low, so it should give you the Fox's best perspective from a stability standpoint. Nova Craft fit and finish is nice quality.

I bought the Nova Craft Fox today. My first impression was that the comments about poor primary stability are overhyped. To me, the primary stability felt comparable to any other canoe with a shallow arch bottom. Sure it's a bit lively, but so is any boat that doesn't have a flat bottom.

I do plan on raising the seat an inch or two, so maybe it will feel more tender once I do that. In any case, the seat is currently high enough for me to get my feet underneath it and kneel (but just barely), and man, once I put a knee in the chine, the canoe had a really nice 'locked in' feel. I'm impressed with the secondary stability.

The person I bought the Fox from had a 3 acre pond on their property, so it was super convenient to paddle around a bit. I then did a proper first paddle on the Susquehanna and then Chenango Rivers this evening (I live near the confluence of the two). I did an out-and-back (~4.5 miles total), with the first half against the current. During the upstream half, I found myself wishing that the boat was either a bit narrower or had more tumblehome. I'm 5'9", and I felt like I had to either reach or lean a decent bit to paddle off the gunnel. But of course the more I leaned, the worse the tracking became, and this was quite noticable when paddling against the current (which was fairly strong at times). But then again, maybe I need to work on paddling mechanics. The downstream half was a joy, and I really got to feel how much faster the Fox is than the solo it replaced (an Esquif Adirondack).

Overall, I'm really happy with it so far!

Congratulations! I forgot about the 32 inch beam on the Fox, pretty wide for most solos. A little more room to pack for those multi-day trips you mentioned. And the Tuffstuff will be beneficial in any bony water you encounter. The weight is just a tad more than that of the ADK, so the carries up north should be manageable.

Back