• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Wabash Valley Canoe

Reaction score
Hello All, looking for some info on this. Acquired in an auction and would like to sell. Any info and appraisal would be very helpful. Has Wabash Valley on both sides faded out. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221206_134738.jpg
    20221206_134738.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221206_134745.jpg
    20221206_134745.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221206_134752.jpg
    20221206_134752.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221206_134807.jpg
    20221206_134807.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221206_134727.jpg
    20221206_134727.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 34
Hello All, looking for some info on this.

Bierbuzz, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I recall Wabash Valley being a small manufacturer of well-regarded flat water and downriver racing canoes in the 1980's, owned and likely designed by Ted Bell and/or Bob Demeret before Ted started Bell Canoes. Perhaps others here will know more history and details. I have no idea as to market value. It could vary greatly from location to location, depending on the popularity of racing in various locations (demand) and the availability of used racing canoes in that area (supply).

Do you know what model? How about length, width, and shape? I can't tell that well from the pictures but it doesn't look like a J boat. All of the Wabash Valley canoes I've seen have been racing hulls and if not full on racing they sure leaned that direction. I'm not sure what else they made.

I don't think it will have much appeal to anyone. If it is a J boat it will be well outdated and not of much interest to racers. If it's not a J boat then for most solo paddlers it will be an unknown manufacturer and an unknown model that's nearly 40 years old.

I'd expect it to be worth a few hundred dollars. Maybe more to the right person.

Alan

Here are some measurements of canoe. Again any info appreciated.

Serial # WVC00836D585

Length 203 inches
Front bar width 7 inches
Foot bar width 14 inches
Seat bar width 20.5 inches
Back bar width 6 inches

Hard to say from the measurements and pictures, and I'm assuming you're not familiar with canoes, but I'd guess it's going to be a hull similar to a Wenonah Advantage. That doesn't mean it will have the value of an Advantage. Rather it will have the disadvantage of being a hull shape that is not desirable to most solo canoeists and a name that will be unknown and unfamiliar to nearly all of them.

Alan

Not knowing what Ted built, I'm just making observations from the pics !
The foam reinforcement configuration, looks as though they copied Wenonah's patterns.

The seat appears to be set fore of center, making it bow heavy ? It may be just the angle of the photo ?

Can you measure the widest part of the hull ? If it is near 32" it would fit within ACA limits for a C1 racing hull.

Just received info from another person and they believe Wabash Valley C1 racing canoe made from Kevlar. Looking to sell, any thought on price? I know hard to tell from pictures alone.

I'd guess a few hundred dollars on price. You might get more from the right person but it's a nearly 40 year old hull that no one is going to be familiar with and we can't tell the condition based on your pics.

The hull ID only tells us the year (1985). The only person who might be able to completely decode it would be the original manufacturer, if they still have records, which is doubtful.

Alan

Does serial number tell make and model?

The WVC at the beginning indicates it's a Wabash Valley Canoe and the 85 at the end indicates that it's a 1985 model.

I have a 1986 Canoe Magazine catalog that lists all the Wabash Valley canoes on the market that year.

The only C-1 shown at slightly under 17' long is the "Rademaker C-1", which is listed as a solo racing canoe, 16'-7" in length, 20.5" max width at the gunwales, 28.5" max width at waterline, bow depth of 16", central depth of 11", and stern depth of 12". It is listed at a weight of 25 lbs. in KV and 37 lbs. in FG. Prices for the two layups were $895 and $620.

Oh, there is also a "Dyna-C C1" with almost the same specs but slightly longer, wider and shallower at the ends: 17' L, 21/29.5 W, 15/11/11 D, same two layups (KV, FG) and same weights and prices.

I doubt these canoes would have much value to a recreational paddler because they are narrow, shallow racing canoes with no rocker, and not much value to a modern racer because of their age. Maybe someone would pay $200 for it as a beater or training canoe, but I'm not really sure. If it's Kevlar, the very light weight could be helpful as a selling point. However, if it's been out in the sun a lot, the composite could be UV damaged, which can only be ascertained by close inspection.

Back