• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Question on members canoe search

Reaction score
Hello folks,

A handful of times I have come across a canoe that I have read about/learned about on this site, and posted it in Classified in the event a member was looking for one. I look at CL and Marketplace all the time, and a have posted here about canoes I have seen on these sites.

First, should I do this?

Second, would a place in Classifieds where members could post what they were looking for be beneficial? If I knew Member X was looking for that hard to find Pygmy Coho and I came across one in my searches I could possibly get these 2 together.

Just thought!

Thanks .

If you feel the need, why not reach out privately? North American Canoe Trader on Facebook already exists and there is no need to duplicate it here.

How would I reach out privately?

I don't know what canoes are on the radar screen of the members on here.
There's a "Conversations" icon that allows private messaging here. People have posted in Classifieds for ISO (in search of) before. The problem with sharing other folk's ads as a practice is that it becomes difficult to manage. For instance, when you reposted my ad for the Blackhawk, an earlier one already existed. If I had wanted to repost my ad, I would have reached out to Glenn. In addition, people may reach out to the poster (you) thinking it was your ad (as someone did). It all gets very messy, as the originators of NACT have come to realize.

Just my opinion, and if Glenn wants to manage all that, that's fine. Best to establish some 'rules' though, as NACT did.

Anybody who wants to hook me up with a 1980s vintage Sawyer Summersong, Shockwave or DY special in a lighter (but tough) layup for a reasonable amount of money would have my undying gratitude! Just sayin’ 😉

The problem with NACT on Facebook is that anything popping up there goes so fast. 😢

So, for my part, Question #2 is a resounding YES. If an ISO post in the classifieds might spur someone to think “hey, I have one of those lying around, collecting dust, maybe I should sell that to her”, then that helps both members. I don’t really have a good feel for Q #1, and what’s most appropriate - it does seem like redundant effort?

I would rather not see folks post other people’s ads from Facebook or Craigslist here.

In the event someone has an interesting thread going, or any thread for that matter, it would be a shame to have those threads be bumped from the “what’s new” list by a couple of FB or CL ads for canoes that there might be little to no interest in.

I'm not inclined as of now to make any sort of decision or declaration of change on this issue.

The Classifieds forum isn't used all that much. Its primary purpose is help members here sell their canoes. Occasionally, folks post an ISO (want-to-buy), or a third party ad they think would be of significant interest, but there haven't really been many of those. Private conversations (Xenforo's term for PM's/DM's) can also be used to contact someone you think may be interested in buying or selling.

For now, just use your judgment and we'll let it go on the way it has been.

For the record, my thought was not to place ad's there, but if I knew you were looking for a specific boat and I saw one I could let you know.

"Anybody who wants to hook me up with a 1980s vintage Sawyer Summersong, Shockwave or DY special in a lighter (but tough) layup for a reasonable amount of money would have my undying gratitude! Just sayin’ "

You got it JCH - if I come across one I'll let you know.

Anybody who wants to hook me up with a 1980s vintage Sawyer Summersong, Shockwave or DY special in a lighter (but tough) layup for a reasonable amount of money would have my undying gratitude! Just sayin’ 😉

The problem with NACT on Facebook is that anything popping up there goes so fast. 😢

So, for my part, Question #2 is a resounding YES. If an ISO post in the classifieds might spur someone to think “hey, I have one of those lying around, collecting dust, maybe I should sell that to her”, then that helps both members. I don’t really have a good feel for Q #1, and what’s most appropriate - it does seem like redundant effort?

Well loved Summersong - who knows?

🤣🤣🤣, but thank you!

I only say that because it was first posted 12/21. I suspect it may be gone, especially since the seller didn’t respond to more recent inquiries.

Alas, it seems I need to wait a month or two. Just paid Bill Mountain, which is the annual biggest peak, and need a short rest 😜

Last edited:
I like the current situation of folks posting In Search Of (ISO)/Want to Buy (WTB) posts on the classifieds here. There is so much traffic on craigslist/FB etc, and good deals go so quickly, it doesn't seem worth replicating here for the most part, unless a member is already ISO and you happen upon it. There have been some unicorns folks find and repost here - the past level of traffic on those has been low enough that it seems fine, but I wouldn't want us to get too close to the slippery slope that leads to NACT, which I find to be a bit of a zoo (too fast and too geographically unrefined).

I think for the most part NACT may have run its course; there doesn't seem to be a plethora of additions from anyone but the admins, who seemed determined to keep it alive. They each seem to have a genre of boats they prefer and it seems that just repeats. I was never on board with their definition of quality boats either: any Royalex boat was okay, even with gaping holes and rotted gunnels, yet a brand new OT poly Next was not worthy (okay, I'm partial to solos of any kind and thought they should get a by). Lastly, when someone else posts your boat, you have no edit rights to the post: if you lower the price it may show up in the link, but not the post. And you are not allowed to repost your own ad within 30 days of the other guys' post.

Here you go JCH - perhaps a viable candidate

Currently at Hemlock Canoe - posted yesterday.

# W100
Sawyer Summer Song, Golden Glass, Red

15'4" long, 28" wide, 39 lbs
Black aluminum trim, sliding seat, foot brace.
Used ('88 prod) very good
$995.00

I don't actually know Dave Curtis, but given their reputation and the fact that they're an established shop and not a private seller, might be worth reaching out with a deposit offer and seeing if they'll hold it for you.

Same place JCH - I'll keep an eye out for the Special.

#W128
Sawyer Shock wave, Exp Kevlar, White

16'8" long, 30" wide, 41 lbs.
Black Aluminum trim, sliding seat, foot brace
Used ('94 prod) Good+
$1395.00

I’m in the Keweenaw Peninsula

I just posted some questions about these two models on the other thread I started recently- looking for guidance!

I‘d love to put down a deposit, except I have no idea which boat (if either) is the “right” one. Plus the whole sight-unseen thing. Probably safe with Hemlock, though (Safer than Joe Blow on facebook Marketplace). Plus I’m trying to be patient and not spend money right now.🤔

Last edited:
Back