• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Question on members canoe search

I want this. What are the odds it will still be around in September, when I can travel?

I bought my SRT from Dave Curtis over the phone. I couldn't pick it up for about 9 months. I paid him full price plus later sent another $50 storage fee because I had to wait so long before I could travel. I doubt he'd charge a storage fee for one month.

I’m in the Keweenaw Peninsula

I just posted some questions about these two models on the other thread I started recently- looking for guidance!

I‘d love to put down a deposit, except I have no idea which boat (if either) is the “right” one. Plus the whole sight-unseen thing. Probably safe with Hemlock, though (Safer than Joe Blow on facebook Marketplace). Plus I’m trying to be patient and not spend money right now.🤔
Not spend money right now? I'm a yooper - couple of beaver pelts, some left over maple syrup and a few copper filings and I see a barter coming together. Kidding of course. I miss the UP a great deal. Closest I got to you is the town of Champion, where I lived in the early 60's.

Others on here have worked with Dave in the past and while I have not, in 25 years I have not heard one bad word about him - every bit I have heard has been very positive, so if you work with him I am sure you will be well taken care of.

If you are open to Wenonah's, Hayward Outfitters in Hayward WI is close by and they sell Wenonah's blems. Can save some dough. They have Esquif as well. And you can swing by and have a CCS cover installed in one trip - nirvana.

Good luck!

Hi Keeled Over,

Just thought I would let you know that I'm getting ready to list a Sawyer DY Special in the expedition Kevlar lay-up for sale in the next few days. I know that I'm a long way from you but on the outside chance that you are heading down south...

Hi Keeled Over,

Just thought I would let you know that I'm getting ready to list a Sawyer DY Special in the expedition Kevlar lay-up for sale in the next few days. I know that I'm a long way from you but on the outside chance that you are heading down south...
Ooh - I think you’re talking to me, actually. That’s pretty far away, but if you could message me some details about the boat, I could work on Hubby.

JCH Ski,
You're right, it was your post that I saw!
I'm planning to do some photos this weekend and let you know. Just a heads up; she's not pristine, but a great canoe to paddle and won't be priced like a pristine one either!

It's frustrating, because I was just in Michigan the week before this thread. I was south of Roger's City, and while it's not Champion it's much closer than Rochester. Sadly, the last person I knew in Champion died, so I don't think I'll be getting up there.

Good luck with this - I used to ship restored car interiors all over the world. From time to time I would find a really good deal on freight. I had one of my canoes delivered to my office and it was just shrink wrapped sitting on top of the skids with one strap. Didn't Old Dominion have a commercial where they were loading a canoe?

It's frustrating, because I was just in Michigan the week before this thread. I was south of Roger's City, and while it's not Champion it's much closer than Rochester. Sadly, the last person I knew in Champion died, so I don't think I'll be getting up there.

Good luck with this - I used to ship restored car interiors all over the world. From time to time I would find a really good deal on freight. I had one of my canoes delivered to my office and it was just shrink wrapped sitting on top of the skids with one strap. Didn't Old Dominion have a commercial where they were loading a canoe?
We go through Champion when we visit my parents - they live in the woods, about 10 miles south of Marquette (retired and moved from the farm in Indiana in the early ‘90s). There used to be a little ski shop in Champion that did mail order, called Champion Nordic. That’s where I bought my first roller skis. Not sure how long it’s been gone.

Lucky that canoe survived! I’ve read horror stories about shipping kayaks, and that something like 50% get smashed. 😬

JHC Ski,

After pulling the DY Special out this weekend, I have decided to go back to my plan "A" and do a refinish on the hull and maybe a repaint on the inside. It really is a pretty design and deserves a nice finish. It also paddles so nice. If I didn't have two other solo trippers I would hang on to this one, but I only have so much storage and I'm currently 2 boats over that limit.

JHC Ski,

After pulling the DY Special out this weekend, I have decided to go back to my plan "A" and do a refinish on the hull and maybe a repaint on the inside. It really is a pretty design and deserves a nice finish. It also paddles so nice. If I didn't have two other solo trippers I would hang on to this one, but I only have so much storage and I'm currently 2 boats over that limit.
So, you aren’t selling it? Or rather, you’re refinishing it, and selling it later? For quite a bit more money?

That’s okay. It was pretty far away anyway, and I hadn’t set my heart on it. I still have one lead left at the moment. I know these are good boats, because people keep saying “hey, I’ve got one of those”, and then they dig it out and remember how great it is, and decide to keep it .

So, you aren’t selling it? Or rather, you’re refinishing it, and selling it later? For quite a bit more money?

That’s okay. It was pretty far away anyway, and I hadn’t set my heart on it. I still have one lead left at the moment. I know these are good boats, because people keep saying “hey, I’ve got one of those”, and then they dig it out and remember how great it is, and decide to keep it .
Well, the DY Special probably will be for sale. My tripping boat range is currently covered by my Souris River Tranquility and my 16 1/2 ' 24 lb. Grasse River Classic XL and that has left the DY for the occasional day trip. I have also made a recent acquisition of a Swift Adirondack 13.6 which has caused an shortage in my boat storage space.
When I bought the DY, I had planned to sand down the old repairs, re-epoxy the hull and add fiberglass inside to stiffen the tumblehome. The tumblehome area on these canoes have quite a bit of flex and would crack the epoxy when the tie down straps were tightened down too much. None of this affects the paddling so I have just paddled it as is. After looking at it this weekend, I re-thought fixing her up.
I will send you a PM.

Back