• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

W/C for restoration via Burt Reynolds

Geeze, by the shape it is in, I would guess it's the actual canoe that broke in two in the movie. Sounds like a job for the superhero canoe restorers from Manitoba!

Think this was the canoe at the Burt Reynold Museum in Florida.

burtcanoe.jpg

Back in 2012, on the 40th anniversary of Deliverance, the actors got together for a reunion shot.

Deliverance+Cast+Anniversary.jpg

Years ago, there was a discussion on the Wooden Canoe forums that a bunch of Old Town 16' Guides were purchased for the film. To enhance the disintegration of the canoe in the "disaster scene", the special effects guys sawed the hull's planking in half at the mid point from gunnel to gunnel. When the boat gets hung on the rock going backward, the inwales easily split and the boat dramatically broke apart. You can just see the clean split beginning in this screen shot.

DeliveranceCanoe+break.jpg

Guess someone tried to put this Humpty Dumpty back together again with whatever parts they could salvage. Maybe Mihun's niche market could be repairing movie canoes and selling them to Hollywood collectors?

Gee, Ned Beatty looks better than ever. Some things can't be unseen once seen...such as Ned in his tighty whities rolling aorund in the muck, squeal'n like a pig. Fortunately, at 12 i was still quite naive and just thought the hillbilly was pulling on his ears.

So they bolted strips in to get the two pieces back together. If the hull is still lined up correctly and has it's shape, it wouldn't be too difficult to fix it. Leave the strips in place, pull the planking and replank it, then scarf in enough inwale to cover where it broke. It would be less work than the Morris will be. However, if it was a 16 foot boat to begin with it doesn't appear to be that now. It looks short and fat like a section was removed from the middle.

They do look like Old Town decks.

The Auction lists it as 140" so it is now less than 12 feet long, so they busted 4 feet during the movie shoot. Old Town used to make little bitty boats, 11 and 12 footers that looked much like this one, footballs, short and squat so if you like that kind of thing... top bid is $600 now.

Last edited:
I assumed it was just a small solo and the strips on the inside were a sort of quasi-floor to kneel/sit on. The auction listing doesn't say it was actually in the movie, only that it's a similar style.

Alan

Have any of you seen that movie again...as an adult?
It really was well done, with Burt breaking his coccyx doing his own stunt scene, after several stuntmen couldn't get a scene right.
And the only actor with paddling experience was Ned, who, oddly, was portrayed as the least experienced of the characters.
I can remember seeing the film in a theater (I was 16) and noticing that the canoe split in half a little too cleanly.
The film deserves to be remembered for so much more than the "squeal like a pig" scene.

As for the auction canoe, the description it clearly states that the canoe is from Burt's personal collection, and similar to (carefully worded for sure) the style of canoe used in the film.

I first saw the movie in my teen years; well right up to the Ned scene. I was watching it with my Dad, and when the Ned scene started, I exchanged embarrassed looks with Dad, and left the room. It was years before I watched the whole movie. Yes, it was a great action movie. The rapids sequence was thrilling, but so to was Jon Voigt scaling the cliffs. I agree that it's unfortunate that this film is remembered for one awkward scene, as there were so many memorable ones. The quiet riverside camp at night was serene. Looking down river in the early morning too was beautiful, and much later seeing the blighted landscape from dam construction might've been a metaphor for social ills and conflicting lifestyles and attitudes...but I don't know. It's funny, because despite having watched the movie a couple times since, I never realized just what they were paddling. I was too focused on where they were and their predicament.

Found the original trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Jr7af1FrQ

Looks like the only one with any canoe skills was Ronny Cox, who does a pretty good cross bow draw at 19 seconds, and again at 35 seconds. The rest of them are hopelessly switching back and forth, holding the shaft with the grip hand, the usual newbie mistakes. At 2:38 it shows the canoe breaking in half, looks pretty phoney with that clean break. Gonna have to watch the movie again soon!

Not sticking up for them or saying they really did have canoeing skills but if I remember right they weren't supposed to be seasoned veterans so sloppy and inefficient strokes would be called for. Whether or not they came naturally is another question. :)

Alan

I have seen a behind the scenes special about the movie...They all were inexperienced paddlers except for Ned. Ronnie Cox also had a special talent for positioning his arm to look as if he had dislocated his shoulder, they rewrote one of the scenes to take advantage of that.
Some of the locals actually were.

I'm guessing that no one here wants that butchered canoe?

The most I've paid for a w/c canoe for restoration was $400 for the Chestnut Fox. Considering I may put 200 hours and $600 to $800 in a boat into materials, I'll take a pass.

Mind you, I would pay up to $500 US for a low serial number Morris.

Norton, I'm not sure just what you're saying, but I'm fearful enough to guess. There was some cultural stereotyping going on in that movie. I think we all know what that was. There is a history of dire socioeconomic circumstances in Appalachia; but those same sad circumstances have played out in many places in North America...here in Canada too. We too have our own uncomplimentary social stigma attached to parts of our country, and many parts of our society...much to all our shame. Is there no end to it?
While on a car camping trip with my wife and kids along the Blue Ridge Parkway, travelling from Front Royal to NC, we settled in for the night. Next morning I found my van had a slow tire leak. Oh oh. I had on board tire inflation, and so after checking the map, I rambled down the mountain while my son leaned out the passenger window warning me when the tire was too low to continue "Time to pull over and pump it up again Dad." All the way down the mountain Deliverance was in the back of my mind. No, I didn't think I'd meet Ned Beatty's fate; I however was just a little concerned what small town fate might await me. We rolled into a garage just as the tire gave out. No turning back now. Thankfully the garage was open. My licence plate and "funny accent" labelled me a tourist. Yup. But the knowledgable service and trustworthy attitude labelled him as a friend. A friend I needed.
Deliverance never entered my mind the rest of the trip.
Coincidently; just coincidently, I have an uncle who's a West Virginian. He has spoken, though seldom, about his hard life and troubled family history. I don't want to know too much about that. I love the soft twang to his speak, and the easy cadence to his talk. Most of all I love his warmth. He's a good man. That's all I need to know.

Turns out the original canoes in the movie were Old Town "Guide" models. The ordered 6 identical boats so this likely isn't one of them or is just bits pasted back together of ones destroyed in the movie.

This thread from the WCHA forums has scans of the actual workorders on the last post on the page.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?12713-Deliverance-canoe&p=64657#post64657

Burt's 1977 Firebird from Smokey and the Bandit is up for auction as well and at this point it is up to $130,000 and going...

Further, from the WCHA...

The auction house has just delivered the two serial number images shown below for numbers 184432 and 184739. It appears that someone took the broken parts of two different 16 foot long canoes and attached them to make one 11.6 foot long canoe. I can’t prove that either of these parts actually appeared in the movie but the build records for each one clearly show that they both were shipped there for that purpose. They reported "When we catalogued it we couldn’t find proof that it appeared in the film, (although we were told it was), and our policy is to not definitively state that an item is screen-used unless we have proof." They plan to update the listing so it will be interesting to see what it actually sells for.

Benson

Since the information was updated to show this boat is a composite of two ordered for the movie, the top bid at the moment is $5500.

Further, from the WCHA... The auction closed yesterday.

It was sold for a hammer price of $14,000 to an internet bidder which is a total of $17,500 including the buyer's premium.

Wow! That's about all I can say. I seem to recall Becky Mason raffling off one of her dad's canoes. Anyone remember how much that went for?

Back